SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bert Lahr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bert Lahr Login/Join 
posted
Was flipping channels the other morning and came across a Bert Lahr film, Flying High, filmed in 1931. The first thing that struck me was, "my God, this movie was filmed 90 years ago". The next thing I noticed was that movies being relatively new, the actors were still performing as if they were in a play. Their voices were projected as if they were trying to reach the back row and their movements were exaggerated. Lahr was an interesting performer. Many would remember him as the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz but being one of only three people on the planet, who has never seen that film, I remember him from early TV. He had quite an unusual speaking style. I guess it helped to have a trademark for people to remember you by.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I saw that too and much of what you say is true.
Mostly I was thinking the acting was a little "different" and hey that guy was the cowardly lion.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was a different acting style, no doubt. It was probably informed by stage acting, but it was just different, too. I think actors strive to be a little more "natural" now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post