SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Crown (Netflix)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Crown (Netflix) Login/Join 
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
Just finished it. Not bad. I didn't like it enough to binge it. I just took in an episode here and there as I had time.

As I know nothing about royalty and how all that works, I think I mainly liked it for the insight on all of that. The acting was pretty good as well. However, the main conflict of the season seemed to be (outside of Elizabeth being thrust onto the throne) how the relationship between her sister and boyfriend would end up. And I didn't care about that in the least. So any time that was dealing with that really seemed to drag for me. Don't think I'll even spend 2 minutes googling it to figure out how it all ended up throughout the years.

I realize it's a historical piece so it can't just make up whole conflicts that didn't actually happen or anything.

Much history to be learned here. My wife and I are watching and it seems that we break out the Google-fu AFTER each episode. Low and behold, the storylines true quite accurate. Or as accurate as they seem to have been accounted for...

When one segment of society labors for the benefit of another segment, without consent, we thought that was slavery and called it as such, 150 years ago. Today it is referred to as taxation of the "rich".

Posts: 1049 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Our son gave us Apple TV for Christmas and my wife started watching and I soon got involved. I am a historian of sorts and I find it very interesting.

Posts: 4040 | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i pretty much binge watched it. It was very good. I think it's the highest costing series Netflix has ever done. It was very well done.

Posts: 13395 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of it until last night. I was watching the Golden Globe awards to see who to boycott. When the girl that plays the Queen won I thought I might check it out.
I ended up watching 4 episodes back to back and well start again tonight.
I like that time period and the history of England.

Is Phillip really as big a ass as he is in the show? He's a dumbass

Posts: 11549 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
This keeps popping up on my Recommended For list......guess I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14434 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, though it was a bit slow here and there. Interesting that simultaneous to my viewing China was having issues with conditions very similar to the Great Smog in London, with political implications of its own.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig.

Posts: 9299 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the accuracy of the music. Very well done.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roberth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
Just finished it. Not bad. I didn't like it enough to binge it. I just took in an episode here and there as I had time.

As I know nothing about royalty and how all that works, I think I mainly liked it for the insight on all of that. The acting was pretty good as well. However, the main conflict of the season seemed to be (outside of Elizabeth being thrust onto the throne) how the relationship between her sister and boyfriend would end up. And I didn't care about that in the least. So any time that was dealing with that really seemed to drag for me. Don't think I'll even spend 2 minutes googling it to figure out how it all ended up throughout the years.

I realize it's a historical piece so it can't just make up whole conflicts that didn't actually happen or anything.

Much history to be learned here. My wife and I are watching and it seems that we break out the Google-fu AFTER each episode. Low and behold, the storylines true quite accurate. Or as accurate as they seem to have been accounted for...

That is my interest too, the history and royalty.

Thanks for opening this thread, I probably would have overlooked this program otherwise.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffDVC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I had my doubts about John Lithgow being cast as Churchill since he is quite a large guy and Sir Winston was like 5'7" or so. (Sort of the reverse of the Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher thing.) I thought he pulled it off nicely.

Lithgow as Churchill is astonishing ... he nails Churchill's gravitas, especially when he has no lines. Great series to watch!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 22 | Location: Illinois / SW FL | Registered: October 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it thoroughly, which is surprising seeing I have no real interest in the Royals. Still.....very cool series. It must really suck having to 'live' two separate lives like that.

And yes, Lithgow was incredible.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14434 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post