SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Crown (Netflix)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Crown (Netflix) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Now this is a good series.

This is about Queen Elizabeth II and more than a few misty moments when she becomes queen.

You won't be disappointed.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7278 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Agree. Watched the first two episodes last night, and things got a little blurry.

Misting up is NOT something that happens to me. Not saying it's unmanly or anything like that, just that I'm not normally the emotional type.

I can't point to exactly why it happened with this show.

Posts: 8448 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I can't point to exactly why it happened with this show.

I caught the first two last night as well. Losing her beloved father and the realization that she is now Queen was very moving. She was portrayed as an innocent and somewhat naive young woman. With the news of King George's death she is now all alone with the weight of the crown abruptly put on her head. Suddenly, she must be treated very differently, even by her sister and husband who are told they must walk behind her, not at her side. The silent and knowing stares between her and Philip when they got the news of King George's death was very well done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NavyGuy,

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 8521 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I've been looking forward to it since hearing of it hoping Netflix would hit another homerun with this series. Queen Elizabeth II is a great woman IMO and a hell of a role model. Intelligent, witty, with a good sense of humor, loves dogs and most of all not afraid to get shit done.

Anyways, good to hear it's getting good reviews. How is Matt Smith as Prince Phillip? He can tend to over act sometimes.

Posts: 2977 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyways, good to hear it's getting good reviews. How is Matt Smith as Prince Phillip? He can tend to over act sometimes.

It is my understanding, whether correct or not, that Phillip is a bit of a doofus. They nailed that in the first two episodes for sure.

Posts: 8448 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

It is my understanding, whether correct or not, that Phillip is a bit of a doofus. They nailed that in the first two episodes for sure.

Oh dear lord yes.

"Nice hat."
"That's his crown."

Posts: 7278 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Oh dear lord yes.

"Nice hat."
"That's his crown."

That's precisely the scene I was thinking of. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Good to hear, I've been putting it off so I can get a couple of episodes in during a single sitting.

Posts: 6694 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Do I add this to list of things to watch until the apocalypse? No US politics, at least.

Posts: 12012 | Location: Waikapu Ahupua'a | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw the second episode...holy shit, that was good, not a dry eye in the room.

No pressure there...The Crown Must Always Win

Posts: 6694 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Just saw the second episode...holy shit, that was good, not a dry eye in the room.

No pressure there...The Crown Must Always Win

Done VERY well, huh? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Very good series.

The opening segment looks a lot like the Daredevil series oddly enough...melting wax in water

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGmondtheseamonster,

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2283 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait till you all get to the episode where someone grows a pair. Big Grin

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have watched it over the last week...great series.

Posts: 6008 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
We just finished binge watching it. It's an excellent series. Netflix obviously spent a fortune on it.

I had my doubts about John Lithgow being cast as Churchill since he is quite a large guy and Sir Winston was like 5'7" or so. (Sort of the reverse of the Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher thing.) I thought he pulled it off nicely.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 12109 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I thought it was funny where they poke fun at Phillips mother being German, yet the Winsors are too. Classic.

Posts: 3015 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed it as well. I was shoulder surfing on the wife watching it and got pulled in.

Posts: 844 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
I have enjoyed it as well. I was shoulder surfing on the wife watching it and got pulled in.

"Shoulder surfing" - Thank you - that is a wonderful description of it.

posted Hide Post
Saw this thread...started watching...I am now on the 6th episode...

I am really enjoying it.

Posts: 84 | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KShooter
posted Hide Post
Just finished it. Not bad. I didn't like it enough to binge it. I just took in an episode here and there as I had time.

As I know nothing about royalty and how all that works, I think I mainly liked it for the insight on all of that. The acting was pretty good as well. However, the main conflict of the season seemed to be (outside of Elizabeth being thrust onto the throne) how the relationship between her sister and boyfriend would end up. And I didn't care about that in the least. So any time that was dealing with that really seemed to drag for me. Don't think I'll even spend 2 minutes googling it to figure out how it all ended up throughout the years.

I realize it's a historical piece so it can't just make up whole conflicts that didn't actually happen or anything.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2768 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post