SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rem 7400 dust cover question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 7400 dust cover question Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
My bud has a Rem 7400 in 3006. That goofy little plastic dust cover in the ejection port broke to pieces and jammed everthing up. I managed to get all the parts out and order a new one. How the heck do you get it back in there. I once saw a video on you tube that has an easy way of installing it by knocking a pin out, removing the cocking handle and sliding it in. Now I cant seem to pull up the vid to see details and how to put the pin back in. Any body done this, and can give advise?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked on a 7400 but have worked on its ancestor, the 742.
It is not a task that is as trivial as removing a single pin.
See linked video for what need to be removed to get to the slot the dust cover rides in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvml8dV8Cq8

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
After you fix it try to get him to trade it off. You’ll be doing him a favor if he does.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks. Found a part. Took about 20 minutes. Not too bad

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
After you fix it try to get him to trade it off. You’ll be doing him a favor if he does.

I'm just curious, but have people really had such bad experiences with this gun, or is this just a perpetuated rumor? I have an old 742 in 30.06 and I don't think I can say a bad thing about the gun. It's been flawless as far as reliability , shoots tight groups, and just seems all around a great little carbine.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
they run great when they are maintained,
as in cleaned and lubed,

one local gunsmith I know had a guy that spent a good amount of time in late summer, early fall, working on the various iterations of the Rem autoloader,
each was the same, not cleaned, not lubed, etc etc,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post