SIGforum
Quality of pre-ban (1994) PWA lower receivers?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9970013164

September 23, 2019, 10:39 PM
BB61
Quality of pre-ban (1994) PWA lower receivers?
Any idea as to their quality? The internet (so it must be true) seems to think the following:

1) PWA made them for LMT;
2) LMT made them for PWA;
3) They made forged and cast receivers; but
4) Nobody has seen a cast receiver;
5) The full auto crowd like them but
6) The full auto crowd looking for a seer host have never heard of them.

I ask because I’m thinking of building one out and I’m leaning either towards a LMT build or a Primary Arms build depending on the quality of the receiver.

Thoughts???

September 23, 2019, 11:52 PM
hrcjon
I have one I bought during the ban. I bought a bunch of odd ones like this and 'eagle'. It now seems crazy to me but that's 20+ years ago. I have no idea its actual production date. Its clearly a forged lower. I'm not any expert in these things but it seems well made and it assembled just fine. Things ultimately led to it not being used extensively so the only thing I can say from personal knowledge is a LPK fit fine.
You can easily look at it and assess its quality IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
September 24, 2019, 04:02 AM
Jager
My first AR (pre-1994 ban) was built on a PWA lower.

They have an excellent reputation.
September 24, 2019, 06:31 AM
cas
Pac West Arms
I have one, my pre-ban, registered assualt weapon" Roll Eyes
I use it with a few uppers. Can't say that it's any better or worse than others? Yes I can, it's better than some lowers I've had, not as nice as other lowers I've had. Big Grin

I can't look at it and tell you much, mine's been painted several times and most recently yard dipped in a gaudy fashion. lmao

September 24, 2019, 02:58 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have one I bought during the ban. I bought a bunch of odd ones like this and 'eagle'. It now seems crazy to me but that's 20+ years ago. I have no idea its actual production date. Its clearly a forged lower. I'm not any expert in these things but it seems well made and it assembled just fine. Things ultimately led to it not being used extensively so the only thing I can say from personal knowledge is a LPK fit fine.
You can easily look at it and assess its quality IMO.

if by 'eagle' you mean Eagle Arms,

they are the company that bought Armalite's name and changed the company to Armalite,,

I have one, the originals were done very close if not the same color as Colt uppers, and work very well,

PWA is good to go, and are considered Forged

built a pile of them back in the late 80's early 90's

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

September 24, 2019, 07:35 PM
Mauser96
It was made by LMT. I contacted then a couple years ago about mine and they confirmed the year of manufacture. It seems rough by current standards, but all parts drop in without any issues.
September 24, 2019, 10:33 PM
hrcjon
quote:
if by 'eagle' you mean Eagle Arms

Yup bought a bunch of those (I have some mental disease that when you tell me I can't buy something I buy them).
But unlike the PWA's I mention above I have shot a zillion rounds through the eagle lowers back in the day and they are fine. And the roll stamp looks better all the time...
Thanks for the reminder on these.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
September 24, 2019, 10:39 PM
BB61
Thx. I'm going to compare it to a branded LMT later this week.

September 27, 2019, 04:14 PM
kimberkid
I've still got a Preban PWA ... someone anodized it blue??? I was told at a show I had it at that it signified "Less Lethal" back in the day. I just thought it was cool.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
September 29, 2019, 10:40 PM
HCM
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I've still got a Preban PWA ... someone anodized it blue??? I was told at a show I had it at that it signified "Less Lethal" back in the day. I just thought it was cool.

Most LE and MIL use blue to designate guns used for training with simmunition or UTM marking rounds.

It is common to designate / convert old duty guns or seizure guns for this purpose.
September 30, 2019, 07:42 AM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
Most LE and MIL use blue to designate guns used for training with simmunition or UTM marking rounds.

It is common to designate / convert old duty guns or seizure guns for this purpose.

Thanks for the info! I picked it up at a show in Wichita KS as stripped receiver set and put some take off parts on it. If these things could only talk ... it would be interesting to know its story.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink