SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Czechpoint VZ58 12" Pistol (big pictures)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Czechpoint VZ58 12" Pistol (big pictures) Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I was rewatching Strike Back a month or two ago, and of course that got me on a VZ-crave again, so I grabbed this one when it came back in-stock at Czechpoint. Now that I've had the gun for a while, taken some better pictures, and had some range time, I figured it was time for a post:

I was always pretty intimidated by the vast amount of information and variations of the AK47 - models/variants, origin of manufacturing, production years, etc. However, Some of you may remember back in 2013, I was working at a Pawn Shop; Dave, the "firearms manager" at the pawn shop loved these guns and introduced me to his VZ2008 at that time. It was really my first experience with the 7.62x39, and I haven't had too much experience with it again til now, but out of all the other calibers out these days, it still seems like a fun, inexpensive range toy.

My brother and I went to the range and broke it in, shooting three or four mags through it on two occasions. It works flawlessly with 3 different types of ammo (I'm still learning these "cheap" ammo types), and seems to be pretty accurate, although we weren't necessarily trying for accuracy. When I got it, I ordered a thread adapter to put a brake on it, and on this last trip, I was able to use my SilencerCo Omega 300 with it. It actually suppresses pretty well. The brake is loud and the fireball is definitely impressive, too!

with the suppressor (shitty dark photo, sorry) :

I love the VZ's design, the controls, the feel, and the last-round bolt-hold open. The local gun store has a box full of surplus mags for $25 each, and the added benefit of the pistol is that 922r doesn't apply. I did order it with the left-side bolt from CSA, but I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten the standard right-side. I am also still deciding whether or not to use a lower-profile sight or RMR with the bridge mount, or use a railed forend with a red dot on it. It's already front-heavy as it is, so I'm not super interested in the latter. For now, I will keep the Iron sights on it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I tried the hand guard and gas tube rails to tactical out a D-Tec when they first came in. I never liked the gas tube cover, you have to remove it to field strip. I have thought about getting a pistol and fitting a tailhook brace to the standard folding stock.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I am also still deciding whether or not to use a lower-profile sight or RMR with the bridge mount, or use a railed forend with a red dot on it. It's already front-heavy as it is, so I'm not super interested in the latter.

I have the NEA railed gas tube cover with a red dot on my Vz. 2008. It does make the rifle slightly more front-heavy, but not unreasonably so.

quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I never liked the gas tube cover, you have to remove it to field strip.

Only when you want to clean the gas piston. The receiver, barrel, and bolt group can be cleaned without removing the gas tube cover.

Besides, I have mine set up with a micro red dot that cowitnesses with the iron sights. On the rare occasion that I have to remove the gas tube, I can reverify zero with the cowitness upon reinstallation.

Granted, it's not quite as handy as something like an Ultimak on an AK, which basically never has to be removed, but it's not a big inconvenience.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Looks like the cover I got from Troy (I think) back in the day. Don't take my comment too seriously, removing optics for maintenance is one of my triggers.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I think i would want a cowitnwss. The bridge mount i have alread has a pretty big height-over-bore distance, so cowitnwss would be nice. But i think i want to add a folding stock adapter first. Just for easier transport and to match my AR15

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Isn't that's what James Bond was using (in Mexico City) in the opening of SkyFall too?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Isn't that's what James Bond was using (in Mexico City) in the opening of SkyFall too?

Bond used a silenced Glock in a FAB Defense KPOS carbine conversion kit in the Mexico City scene (which was the opening scene in Spectre).

However, he did use the similar Vz. 58 Compact in the later desert compound scenes in Spectre.

(The Vz. 58 Compact has a shortened gas system and handguard in addition to the shorter barrel. And the one Bond used was in 5.56 not 7.62x39.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a VZ-58 to end up as a Christmas present. It won’t be coming for weeks yet, I may have to try it out at some point.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that 12" pistol really throws an impressive flame burst. I'll bet the Compact Pistol version is even more impressive. How's the reliability of these shorter VZ58s?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Wow, that 12" pistol really throws an impressive flame burst. I'll bet the Compact Pistol version is even more impressive. How's the reliability of these shorter VZ58s?

From what I've read, barrel chops/SBR's can have issues. But the factory pistols all have good reviews. In searching for information and videos on the 12" version, I couldn't find much of anything aside from a few forum posts here and there. But there are some videos of the Czechpoint 7" barreled one. None that you can really see the blast on, but I'm sure its' impressive - akin to most of the AK pistols of that length.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, thanks for the correction!

Dang it … I need to hit the lottery!

I've spent my mad money on binary triggers and a SiG 226 I bought last week.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post