SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Zeroing a 16" 9mm AR for USPSA PCC competition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeroing a 16" 9mm AR for USPSA PCC competition Login/Join 
Picture of P226_operator
posted
Hey guys! Haven't made a post on here in quite a while. So anyway I'm asking for advice on what distance to zero my 16-inch 9mm AR for USPSA PCC. I'm using an Aimpoint ACO as my optic. Thanks!

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my AR pistol zeroed for 25 yards which puts me within 2" high or low between 0-60 yards with my reloads. Should be plenty flexible for USPSA. You can run the math using JBM ballistics website if you know your height over bore and a rough BC for your bullet and velocity.

Posts: 239 | Location: The Great Salt Lake | Registered: November 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a 100 yard zero on my PCC's works out to around 20 yards with my ammo. I suggest you spend some time at the range to select a zero that works best for you.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a 50 yard zero and have been pretty satisfied with that overall. I still occasionally don't get the offset right on very close shots but that's not a zero issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I used this calculator to determine a 25 yard zero was likely the best for most rounds I will use in my AR pistol with a 10" barrel: http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ Then I tested it out on the range.

This will likely be what you'll want for the 16" barrel also.

Others have reached a similar conclusion: http://web.archive.org/web/200...ersSite/9mmzero.msnw

With most lighter (115gr) bullet loads you'll be within 1.5" of your "dot" between 25 and 100 yards, and with most heavier (147gr) loads you'll be within approximately 2" of your dot between 25 and 100 yards. Obviously at very short ranges you will need to account for "mechanical offset" between the dot and the bore.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have mine with a 25 yard zero, which is also supposed to be "on" at 100. Effectively a 25-100 zero.

It seems to be, but with my eyes, and iron sights, I can't confirm that the zero works perfectly.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
It’s a uspsa gun, the average shot is going to be 12-15 yards. I’d zero at 15 because you might actually see a 15 yard head box and poa/poi would be beneficial for shooting alphas there. Where as the most difficult shot you are going to see at 25 is likely going to be a mini popper or a tuxedo, in which an inch or two in vertical impact difference isn’t a big deal.

Don’t forget to figure out your hold over on hoser distance head boxes. You might actually have to aim over the target to hit an A.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post