SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14 or Mini 30? Poll inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14 or Mini 30? Poll inside. Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
This will be a range and recreation rifle as I don't hunt. It will also be one of the new Mini's so I can take advantage of all the new fangeled engineering that Ruger has come up with. The question is which one and why?

Question:
Which one and why?

Choices:
Mini 14
Mini 30

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
223. For ammo commonality with the AR. And whatever the choice, it should be Ranch Rifle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30... Cheap ammo and ability to be used for larger game if needed.

I don't have one, but I want one.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mini 30. If you want a .223/5.56, I think an AR makes more sense, particularly at the giveaway prices you can find on one now. And now you can buy high capacity 7.62x39 magazines for the Mini 30 that are made by Ruger and actually work reliably.

Other types of semiauto rifles chambered for the Russian round are kinda expensive, and not really scope friendly.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
The -14 is much more pleasant to fire and hey.. the A-team never used no commie rounds. Razz Big Grin

I've owned both. I still have my -14. Sold the -30 years ago. It only really liked brass cased ammo and I wasn't keen on running foreign steel case through it. That's what AKs and SKSs are for.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I came very close to buying a Mini-30, even purchased factory 20 rounders for it.

Maybe things are different now, but back when I was about to buy one, I discovered that these rifles had a reputation for breaking firing pins. I'm guessing the hard primers on ComBloc ammo were the major contributing factor. The degree of firing pin protrusion at the bolt face in any particular rifle seems perhaps to have been a factor as well.

I imagine that the Mini-30 bolts are fitted, just as in the Mini-14- therefore, a broken firing pin in one of these rifles is a much bigger deal than with, say, an AR-15. Ruger won't sell you a bolt or a firing pin. Your rifle would require servicing by Ruger.
Please don't take my word for this. The information is to be found online and perhaps this is a thing of the past.

On the other hand, I have in the past maintained a Mini-14 for home defense, a role in which the rifle excels IMO, and have never once given a thought to such a failure in my rifle.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I vote Mini 14. I've owned one for years and shot nothing but steel cased ammo through it and the gun has not complained once.
One bit of caution is that I only use the factory 20 round mags. From what I hear, anything else may be problematic.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Both?? Cool

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Mini 30. If you want a .223/5.56, I think an AR makes more sense, particularly at the giveaway prices you can find on one now.

I voted Mini 30 as well for the reasons arfmel said as well. I had one back in the 90's and liked it but traded it towards an AK. I wouldn't mind having one again someday.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I voted .223 - only because I kept my 580 Series Mini-14 and sold my 580 Series Mini-Thirty. Both are fantastic rifles, but as an inexpensive 7.62x39mm plinker I prefer my Russian SKS. Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I have a Mini14 Tac in 300BO. This is a cool rifle and mine has been more accurate than all other Minis I've had and I'm guessing it's due to the shorter/thicker barrel. Larger caliber like the 30, but better suppressed. More expensive to shoot, but mine functioned with both sub and super-sonic ammo without a can.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Poll fail. 6.8 SPC Ranch Rifle. Discontinued but plenty in the used market.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Mini-14 is also available in .300 Blackout:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...specSheets/5864.html

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I had a Mini 30 and I wouldn't own one again. The 20 round factory mags are the only reliable ones. I have been looking for a used Mini 14 off and on for some time. Why? I like the rifle.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Poll fail. 6.8 SPC Ranch Rifle. Discontinued but plenty in the used market.

6.8 never really caught on. Now a Mini in 6.5 Creedmore, that I could get into. Cool

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I traded for one of the newer Mini-30s a few years ago. It has a green Hi-Viz front sight that helps my old eyes see what I am shooting. I know you said you don't hunt but it is a top notch, lightweight hog gun. I wouldn't trade it away for much of anything at this point. A pleasure to shoot.
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've had my 180 series since I was a teen, (my first rifle)

not the most accurate, but it is reliable,

and yes, aftermarket mags suck, however there are plenty of Ruger mags available

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my answer would be dependent on knowing what other calibers you already own. If you already have a .223, I would get the .30. If you already have a .30, I would get the .223. I have a Mini 14 I purchased new about 1976 or 77. I was not pleased with its accuracy. A few years later I got an AR180. It is more accurate then the Mini 14. A few years after that, I got a Colt HBar. It is also more accurate then the Mini. My view of the Mini may have been hurt by Ruger's refusal for many years to sell magazines that hold over 5 rounds to civilians. But I think I would buy an AR15 in 5.56 and an AK in 7.62x39 before buying a Ruger Mini 14 or 30.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welp, I have both! Both are the newer heavy barrel Tactical models with the plain synthetic stock. The 30 has been 100% with all steel case fired. I can shoot the 14 quite a bit faster just because of muzzle climb, but both are a ton of fun, and something about them makes them very satisfying to shoot.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I voted Mini-14, because I have a 580 series. I already had a spare scope and bipod, so off to the range. Ideal conditions and very slow fire, after getting a good zero, I was able to get a 1 inch 3 shot group at 200 yards. Then I left the range!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post