SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22LR for Steel Challenge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22LR for Steel Challenge Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I won't argue that .22lr AR-15's are more fussy about ammo than 10/22's. But with minimags mine have done tens of thousands of rounds with very minimal issues. Mostly I've learned that the mags are the wear point. Of course a 10/22 could probably do that with any ammo and no wear point. But I like the fact that the AR seems like real world training to me since that's what I'm likely to use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tacsol Kestrel upper for my SBR. I’ve never done steel challenge with it but if you have an AR your only an upper away from where you want to be.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I saw a kid come in real close to winning the Alabama Steel Challenge a few years ago with a pawn shop 10/22 he bought the day before. Some folks let him borrow some ruger mags and he tore it up!,,,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Having used both AR-15 pattern 22lr rifles and a 10/22...

Reliability was more spotty with the AR-15 pattern guns.

I have been very impressed with my 10/22 Takedown. It returns to zero but of course for a steel challenge gun you wouldn't need to go the takedown route.

I vote 10/22, Kidd or VQ trigger, and a red dot.

All AR .22 are not equal. My DPMS upper is the most reliable .22 I have ever seen or used (including the numerous 10/22 I have owned). I think they are discontinued now, but the design is basically a rebranded Nordic. https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...2rb-upper-16-kit.htm

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I've used a 10/22 at my club's rimfire challenge but I enjoy using my Walther made HK G36 rimfire clone better. For shooting steel competitively, reliability is paramount.

It is extremely light and much more ergonomic than the 10/22.
Just like my 10/22, it is also 100% reliable.
The only issue is that the trigger sucks but that doesn't matter when shooting steel plates.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
HK G36 rimfire clone

I've owned a bunch of these clones and they are fun and enjoyable. BUT I have never met one that even somewhat remotely matched a 10/22 for long term reliability. If yours does great. But I'm guessing it doesn't. Sample of one and all that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
HK G36 rimfire clone

I've owned a bunch of these clones and they are fun and enjoyable. BUT I have never met one that even somewhat remotely matched a 10/22 for long term reliability. If yours does great. But I'm guessing it doesn't. Sample of one and all that.

You may be correct.
I've owned my first 10/22 for 34 years and it still performs as well as when it came out of the box.
I've only owned the G36 clone for a couple of years and while it works well now, I have no clue what it will be like in a decade.

However, for me, it works very well at the steel shoots that I attend now.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Pcc is the low hanging fruit until they adjust the peak times.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post