SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22LR for Steel Challenge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22LR for Steel Challenge Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
I was shooting a Steel Challenge match last Sunday with my P320x5, and 2 guys in the squad were shooting rimfire rifle, an boy did it look fun. One was a 10/22 looking gun, and the other was an AR style gun. Does any one here have a recommendation, or build they like?
Looks like you can spend 500 to holy crap !. I am comfortable under 1G. And I hope to get my daughter to shoot it too.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I think I paid around $320 for the M&P .22 LR AR clone. My wife loves shooting it. i am not the biggest fan of the s&w magazines. You can also just get a $200 stock 10/22 and it just depends on what you want to do to it. I have a decent scope on my 'beater' 10/22 carbine. The barrel is stock other than threading and holds 3/4" at 50y with pretty cheap ammo. I also have one that shoots sub 1/5" at 50y, and it is a completely different rifle with a lot of modifications.

musts most people need at bare minimum are at least a $40 bushnell rimfire scope, $10 rings, $10 extractor and a $30 VQ hammer kit is about the cheapest way to do it. Nice thing about the 10/22 is you can pretty much do anything you want to it, and do it as time and $ allows. Building them becomes an obsession. The carbines shoot decent with a little tuning. A lot of different ways to spend $ on a 10/22, so I would try to narrow down what you want. I am an accuracy freak, so in terms of that stuff I can make some recommendations. But for shooting steel I would just start with the factory barrel and see how it does.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the quality of my Kriss Defiance ar style 22lr. Takes are trigger group, forends, and stocks. Uses ruger 10-22 barrels. and cmmg ar-22 mags.
https://kriss-usa.com/rifles/rimfire/dmk22

my thread on the rifle.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...440011044#2440011044

Though a ruger 10-22 would be hard to beat also.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This 10/22 build was under $1k. Minus the scope, I borrowed it from another rifle. I'm pleased with the results.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys !
Clem - the goal would fast transitions and accurate "enough" SC matches don't seem to shoot past 35 yards or so, and a hit is a hit, so a sub MOA is not required. It should light to transition fast, semi auto and reliable ( nothing screws you more than a jam/misfeed ) and able to mount a RMR ( no scope needed - just a dot! )

I appreciate the info guys - now the fun part of buying and tinkering

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This 10/22 build was under $1k. Minus the scope, I borrowed it from another rifle. I'm pleased with the results.

That is a good looking gun !
Is it light ?

George Carlin

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We have some guys shoot stock 10/22s with iron sights. Though modified guns with red dots are more common. I shoot a modded 10/22 with an 8MOA for CMORE and my wife shoots a M&P 15/22 with a Steiner 1-4x scope.

A lot of people shoot it with a Ruger MK series pistol and red dot as well.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bone stock S&W M&P 15-22 with a Weaver V-3 1-3X20, set to 1X.

99 44/100's% reliable and it'll hang with the super racer 10-.22's with red dots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handle both the M+P AR .22lr and the 10/22 and see what you like better in just feel. I've heard some functions stopped allowing the M+P for some safety reason, but verify as I forget what it regarded. For your budget you could build one hell of a 10/22 that is as accurate as you want it with a perfect trigger, stock etc etc...……

I'd say see what everyone else is using at the matches, buy the gun that fits the best.....shoot a few matches with the stock gun and go from there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like iron sights for 22LR steel challenge. I got a Ruger 10/22 youth model with the 16 inch barrel and replaced the stock with the houge overmold. A simple trigger upgrade was the only other change I made. It's an absolute hoot.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

That is a good looking gun !
Is it light ?

It is, the Whistlepig barrel is a stainless inner pencil barrel in an AL sleeve. The receiver is AL. It's a nice weight for a 22" barrel.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .22lr AR with an aimpoint or MRO. I happen to use the spikes tactical uppers, but any dedicated one would be fine. I wouldn't use an RMR on a rifle for SC the aimpoint or MRO has a much better eyebox for the speed you need on SC. If you already have an AR an upper and good sight plus mags is within your budget, otherwise it might take a bit more.
I would have no problem using a 10/22 and would probably go as fast. You don't need any more accuracy than a stock one for this game. Better trigger, pic rail, sight and go for it. You could easily do this for about half your budget.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
If you go the 10/22 route, I highly recommend CPC for any form of tune up.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html

CPC did a great job on my 10/22... Trigger job, threaded barrel into receiver, re-crown and re-chamber, bolt combo, and tapered the barrel. Shown with a 50-yard 1/2" dot challenge. Puts 10 into < 1/2" at 50 yards. Always good to have tools that exceed one's abilities.

I take the scope off and put on a red dot for plate shoots.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
Thanks guys !
Clem - the goal would fast transitions and accurate "enough" SC matches don't seem to shoot past 35 yards or so, and a hit is a hit, so a sub MOA is not required. It should light to transition fast, semi auto and reliable ( nothing screws you more than a jam/misfeed ) and able to mount a RMR ( no scope needed - just a dot! )

I appreciate the info guys - now the fun part of buying and tinkering

Then that cheap recipe above would work fine. You could put a cheap 2-7 rimfire scope on it as another optic option. I would try it with the factory barrel first. The 25 round and 10 round 10/22 mags are reliable. I have some of both. I havent heard good things about the 15 round mags. The CPC tune up is good. I like the kidd triggers if you want to spend some $. a green mountain sporter barrel is another option if you find yourserlf needing better accuracy. Trivettes gunsmithing will headspace the bolt for $20. that and an aftermarket firing pin and extractor helps reliability.

but for your application, you probably dont need a headspace or a barrel. just buy the 10/22 you like, and if it were me I would do a cheap JWH firing pin,extractor and auto bolt release. That will make the ignition and extraction as reliable as possible. the auto bolt release is just convenient. I would also do the kidd trigger if you wanted to spend some $, or a VQ hammer kit if you want cheap; and optic of your choice. With a bx25 mag that thing would be a steel plate killer. Wink

Here is my little plinker that I probably have the most fun with. I have a couple of other heavy barrel builds, but this thing is so fun. factory barrel, factory action, factory bolt, factory stock and mostly factory trigger parts. a bunch of left over and spare parts from old builds that i put in a cheap stripped receiver i found. its certainly the least accurate of my 10/22s, doesnt have the best trigger or the best scope, but the total fun factor exceeds the sum of the parts.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of 10/22s.

I will usually bring my M&P 15-22 for beginners.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Handle both the M+P AR .22lr and the 10/22 and see what you like better in just feel. I've heard some functions stopped allowing the M+P for some safety reason, but verify as I forget what it regarded. For your budget you could build one hell of a 10/22 that is as accurate as you want it with a perfect trigger, stock etc etc...……

I'd say see what everyone else is using at the matches, buy the gun that fits the best.....shoot a few matches with the stock gun and go from there.

they say the m&p 15/22 will fire out of battery. and i am sure it will, but so will a 10/22. you just have to keep them clean. shooting mini mags helps to keep them clean vs cheap bulk stuff.

posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Ruger Charger with an adapter on the back of it to mount an AR15 pistol buffer tube & brace. It’s accurate and fast from one target to the next. I plan to put a Vortex Venom or Viper on it. Maybe get the mid tier trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing.

I never shot any steel challenge but I bet this rig would be good for it. I think you should be able to get the gun and all parts for less than $700 with a few 25 round mags too. Paid $258 for the Charger at the LGS. The brace adapter is expensive from Copper Custom, approx $60 with shipping, but it was worth it to me.

Military Arms Channel on YouTube has a good video on this setup with the Charger.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do NOT want a scope with any magnification for SC. Period. There is nothing required to do to a stock 10/22 until you are pretty good other than add a rail and a red dot (if you are not shooting irons). I use the EGW rail and its a good option, but there are many others. Since you change mags all the time using the 25's makes that easier as does some of the aftermarket mag releases. I use a Kidd. You will be faster with a different stock that fits you, but its a minor issue. Realistically I'd put my money in an optic that will last you forever (aimpoint or MRO) and work on whatever. Get a cheap 10/22 and 5 mags, a mount and go have fun. Once you know enough get a better trigger and eventually a stock. Spending any money on accuracy is not needed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jessie Duff Harrison placed third in the ladies division World Championship shooting a out of the box Ruger 10/22 Target Lite...They can be found for less than $500 and they have the upgraded trigger already in them from the factory with a thumhole stock also....Jessie had a standard red dot on hers and was smoking the courses....

Ask me how I know this - because I was there in Talladega two weeks ago and KC Eusabio invited me to follow their Super Squad on Friday when Jessie, KC, BJ Norris, and six other Grand Masters were shooting rimfire pistols and rifles....In fact I have one cycle on video where KC shot Smoke and Hope with a rimfire pistol in 1.32 seconds....

My Ruger 10/22 Target Lite that I bought 2 months ago to use in Steel Challenge has a C-More 8MOA red dot on it....Picked it up at Optics Planet for under $300.00....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Having used both AR-15 pattern 22lr rifles and a 10/22...

Reliability was more spotty with the AR-15 pattern guns.

I have been very impressed with my 10/22 Takedown. It returns to zero but of course for a steel challenge gun you wouldn't need to go the takedown route.

I vote 10/22, Kidd or VQ trigger, and a red dot.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post