SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 win mag suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I think I’m going to try to move up to elk hunting next year. I’m pretty sold on the 300 win mag due to its availability.

Any suggestions on brands or models to look for/stay away from?

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barsad0:
I think I’m going to try to move up to elk hunting next year. I’m pretty sold on the 300 win mag due to its availability.

For a 300wm elk rifle I’d personally check out:
-Winchester 70 extreme weather
-Christensen Mesa

I’m sure some people will say a tikka t3x as well although I don’t like “lightweight” magnum rifles.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The Browning X-Bolt is nice too. I have the WSM version.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
The Browning X-Bolt is nice too. I have the WSM version.

I can vouch for this. My brother has an X Bolt in 300 WM and it's a nice shooter.

You can also try to find a used A Bolt II with the BOSS muzzle system. I have one, a Composite Stalker model and the BOSS Brake makes shooting it pretty comfortable.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hunting rifle = Winchester 70.

I have an older 70 in .300 Win Mag. It's an impressive rifle.

Personally, if I were buying a rifle for elk hunting, I would go with a standard (non-magnum) cartridge. A .300 mag in a rifle light enough to carry comfortably is pretty bitchy to shoot. Mine kicks hard enough to hurt, and I am not particularly recoil sensitive.

I understand the availability thing. There's something nice about being able to find ammo anywhere, pretty much any time, and there's plenty of power in a .300 so it will get the job done. But a 30-06 will get the job done too, as will a 7mm mag, which is more shootable than the .300. If you can get your head around the availability thing, I would strongly suggest you also consider .338 Federal or .35 Whelen.

Congratulations on the decision to buy a new hunting rifle, and good luck with your search.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id also opt for non-magnum cartridge. Likely 30-06 if availability is a concern. Even 308.

If you plan on walking a bit, Id look at some of the lighter offerings. Howa, Winchster, Tikka or Sako would be considertions for me. I personally went with a Sako Finnlight, and have since aquired 2 more. 5 shot MOA guarantee from the facotry. Recent street pricing has them under 1k.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Id also opt for non-magnum cartridge. Likely 30-06 if availability is a concern. Even 308.

If you plan on walking a bit, Id look at some of the lighter offerings. Howa, Winchster, Tikka or Sako would be considertions for me. I personally went with a Sako Finnlight, and have since aquired 2 more. 5 shot MOA guarantee from the facotry. Recent street pricing has them under 1k.

For Elk, I would not consider a 300 WM unless you were in a hide (not moving) and had at least 400 yard plus shooting lanes. For a true hunting gun, I still like Winchester and Sako, followed by Ruger. The 280 Remington with a modern hunting round has higher ballistic co-efficients than most 300 rounds, has less recoil, and is significantly more pleasurable to shoot. The big downside is that you can not walk into any Dicks store and find good ammo.

Believe me when I say this - an elk won't know if you hit it with a 30-06 or a 300WM. The 280 will be more efficient, however if you have a decent shot it will not matter. For those that use power to overcome questionable shots, they should not be in the woods hunting.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well since others opened the caliber discussion, I’ll also add that I don’t think you need a 300wm for elk. I prefer a lighter rifle myself and have a few. I’m a big fan of the 30-06 and the 308 personally, even for moose I would use a 308 or a 30-06.

Right now my primary hunting rifle is a kimber Montana 308 that weighs under 6lbs scopes up, I got it for sheep hunting but now use it for pretty much everything.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I don't get to hunt elk any more but I was quite happy with my stainless steel Steyr Pro Hunter when I was. Accurate, resistant to weather, light enough to carry, and I never noticed the recoil unless I was sighting in a bunch of rounds off a bench. I never fired more than a shot or two when I was hunting so the recoil never bothered me.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Model 70 with a Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrap on a Shilen select match barrel in 300 Win Mag. I think there are better triggers than what comes with the standard Model 70 Classic SS which is what I have. Outside of that and the fact that you can always have a better scope, I can’t complain.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

For those that use power to overcome questionable shots, they should not be in the woods hunting.

Sounds like myself when I show up my 6.5x55 Swede and the 338 guys snicker.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess a question to ask is, what chamberings do you already own? You may want something that will slide right in for TX deer and hog hunting, without overkill.

As a hand loader, one can tame most any round. Specific bullets matter too.

I was in CO 1.5 years ago on an elk hunt, ready for that 200 yard shot. I ended up with a 30 yard shot on the 5 X 5, hunt over.

That all said, the 300 Win Mag IS the quintessential elk round.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats pretty bold.

That being said,if I went down to one rifle for everyting it would be my Finnlight in 300WSM

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Tikka t3 lite for years.

In .300WM it's not a gun you shoot for entertainment. I'll suggest you invest in something like a Limbsaver pad.

But... When you pick up your buddies 10#9oz beast you'll thank me. Mine shoots well, and isn't very particular about what it's fed. I would prefer it had a 3 position Winchester type safety.

I have a much sexier Model 70, but the Tikka gets to go hunting much more often.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Sako 85 for the 60 degree bolt, excellent trigger and solid magazine design.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been very happy with my Weatherby Vanguard in 300 win mag.
It is an inexpensive rifle which has proven to be a consistent 1 moa performer.
It is not a beauty to look at but it doesn't bother me when it gets a "beauty mark" in the woods.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've killed SEVERAL elk with both a standard .280 Rem with 150's and a .280 AI with 160's. Use a good bullet...get both lungs...elk down.

I have used my pre 64 .300 H&H too...nothing wrong with the 300 mags if you can shoot them.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thats pretty bold.

That being said,if I went down to one rifle for everyting it would be my Finnlight in 300WSM

I don’t know about these days but when I was growing up me and my dad hunted elk all over the western USA and over those years I saw more 300 win mags than anything else. Of course that dosent really mean anything but during those years, it always seemed to me that the 300wm was the gold standard (I had a 270 and my dad had a 300wby).

I wonder if it’s just because so many people wanted to buy an “elk rifle” and they already had an 06 or a 243 it something.

I chased that magnum thing for awhile b for coming back full circle to standard cartridges, the only magnums I really own now are 375HHs that I almost never use, if I ever go hunt big bears though, I already have my gun.

I don’t think there’s much that a 30-06 with a 3-9 scope and 180g Nosler Partitions can’t pull off. In a 308, is use that same bullet for elk.

Has anybody here ever killed an elk or other big animal with a 6.5cm? I just got my first 6.5cm and I’m wondering if it would make a nice gun for caribou or moose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
quote:

I have been very happy with my Weatherby Vanguard in 300 win mag.
It is an inexpensive rifle which has proven to be a consistent 1 moa performer.
It is not a beauty to look at but it doesn't bother me when it gets a "beauty mark" in the woods.

Weatherby vanguards are great rifles, one of my 375HHs is a vanguard (dangerous game rifle), my dad has been a long time advocatenof the vanguard/Howa 1500 and I’ve come to think they are the best Thai g you can get for the $$$. I had a vanguard back country for awhile and only recently sold it just because my buddy absolutely loved it after borrowing it a few times but he couldn’t afford to buy a new one off the shelf. I have a good arsenal of hunting rifles so I let him take it.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
quote:

Thats pretty bold.

I don’t know about these days but when I was growing up me and my dad hunted elk all over the western USA and over those years I saw more 300 win mags than anything else. Of course that dosent really mean anything but during those years, it always seemed to me that the 300wm was the gold standard (I had a 270 and my dad had a 300wby).

I wonder if it’s just because so many people wanted to buy an “elk rifle” and they already had an 06 or a 243 it something.

I chased that magnum thing for awhile b for coming back full circle to standard cartridges, the only magnums I really own now are 375HHs that I almost never use, if I ever go hunt big bears though, I already have my gun.

I don’t think there’s much that a 30-06 with a 3-9 scope and 180g Nosler Partitions can’t pull off. In a 308, is use that same bullet for elk.

Has anybody here ever killed an elk or other big animal with a 6.5cm? I just got my first 6.5cm and I’m wondering if it would make a nice gun for caribou or moose.

I'm sure there was a time when it may have been. Doesn't seem to be that way today. I think peoples understanding of ballsitics has increased greatly over the years and we're seeing people make choices based on efficiency vs just going with the biggest gun they can get. I beleive thats why the 6.5CM has made serious inroads in the hunting community.

I grew up hinting Elk and Deer in AZ, seems everyone there was usig the 06 and saw quite few 270's. Like you, take that for what its worth. I think you pretty much nailed it that people think they need an "Elk" gun or big caliber to take them, its simply just not true.

Id have no problem using your 6.5CM. Partitions have long been the defacto hunting bullet and my choice for my .338 M70. In 6.5 I'm using Barnes 127gr LRX. I haven't had the chance to put it on an Elk yet but I'm absolutely flattening giant Iowa whitetails with it. Lots of guys reporting complete pass throughs on Elk from 400-750 from various 6.5 offerings. If you don't feel the 127gr is enough, I've also used a 140gr Accubond. I think the 6.5 will have 0 issues on Elk if youre reasonable with your expectations. Youve been aroudn the block so Im sure you know what I mean.