SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best price on FN-FAL metric mags?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best price on FN-FAL metric mags? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Figured I'd ask before making a buy. Mags would be going in my brand new RFB Bullpup RifleBig Grin. Buds has the Magpul mags for $17.95. Rated 5 stars. Any thing better then that?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Buds has the Magpul mags for $17.95. Rated 5 stars. Any thing better then that?

Magpul doesn't make FAL magazines...

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Buds has the Magpul mags for $17.95. Rated 5 stars. Any thing better then that?

Magpul doesn't make FAL magazines...

I stand corrected. I was looking at one thing, brain was seeing something else. Let me check my meds. Eek

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they did. But in any case I always start with DSA and see what the latest baseline is in terms of price and availability(usually they are out of stock) then on to google. I've gotten used ones in quite a few places with varying levels of wear. Don't do the thermold ones.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you can find some lightly used surplus mags, those are your best bet. New production DSA mags would be my second choice.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I love my RFB. Highly likely you will to. Did you see my thread on it?

Even here in MA, I can get Metric FAL mags for ~$15 bucks. Don't be afraid of used, and just go poke in your local gun shops. They probably have asstons of these mags, and no one wants them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Last ones I bought were polymer mags from Moses Mag. Before that I found some surplus Israeli metal mags that were cheap. Both work fine.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I love my RFB. Highly likely you will to. Did you see my thread on it?

Even here in MA, I can get Metric FAL mags for ~$15 bucks. Don't be afraid of used, and just go poke in your local gun shops. They probably have asstons of these mags, and no one wants them.

Arc,

Your thread was one of the reasons I invested in a RFB. I had a FAL years ago. Had to sell it. Always wanted to buy another.308/7.62x51 platform. Started to my research and even had a chance to hold a RFB at a gunshow before I left Virginia. I was hooked, but wanted to learn about them before I bought one. Now I have it, looking forward to sending some rounds downrange.
Any recommendations on optics?

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying the Elcan that I put on mine, but that's unusual. People have put a wide array of optics on these, I think there is potential for way too much scope on it. Mid to low magnification or a red dot is what will work best. The trigger is pretty good, but I don't think I'd put it in the "precision rifle" category.

I chose the Elcan because it's rugged, and in the case of the surplus one, even though it's low power it's got the BDC for 7.62. Brand new Elcans are very expensive, that's a lot of money to sit on this rifle.

I'd look for something that suits the size and portability of the rifle, as well as your intended roll.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
That Elcan is pricy for brand new. I have a Trijicon Accupoint that I really like, might go that route again. We'll see.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones