SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Three Amigo's are back together again. MPX,Kriss V,GHM45
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Three Amigo's are back together again. MPX,Kriss V,GHM45 Login/Join 
posted
I spent the day at the indoor range sighting them in. I picked up the kriss v from the shop that cut it down on Friday.

The MRO on the sig came back from Trijicon on Friday (10 day turn around.) Trijicon rebuilt the whole thing. The only piece that is the same is the aluminum housing.

The Holosun 510c came on Friday also. So, Time to put mounts back on everything and sight it in.

I tried running some cci aluminum blaser 180 grain through the Kriss, and this is what I got.

every case split in the Kriss chamber. The extractor just ripped the case in half. Brass no problem, steel no problem aluminum = problem

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Nice 3 to take. I’d like to shoot a Kriss V someday, especially now that they have a 10mm version. The GHM is loads of fun and reliability.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Nice 3 to take. I’d like to shoot a Kriss V someday, especially now that they have a 10mm version. The GHM is loads of fun and reliability.

The Kriss is in 40sw. I thought long and hard about 10mm. I just never have warmed up to the cartridge. I started with my USP 40 as my duty gun in 95/96. I have a very fond spot for the cartrige. The kriss does it amazingly well. when trying to sight in the red dot. I was having issues with my 3 shot groups. I kept seeing two holes about 1/2 inch apart at 25yds.
I finally walked down and realized i was dropping two rounds on top of each other, the third just a ways off. Not bad for off hand work. It is pleasant to shoot, more forward heavy than the mpx or bnt. Recoil is differentthan the other two, less than the ghm45 though.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The next sbr project, just picked up this lesson today.

200 rounds down range today. 100 124grn and 100 147grn, not one issue with firing.

The only issue i found was the front plug being a bit wonky.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Nice 3Wink

Who made the MP5K clone?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it is a PTR 9KT

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Between the MPX & the PTR ... which do you prefer?

I've seen the reasons why the MPX is "better" ... But what are your thoughts?

posted Hide Post
I am much more familiar with my gen 2 mpx. I have owned it 3 or 4 years. It is also an sbr. I bough it because there were no real clones in its price range at the time. I like railed stocks, as it was a carbine till the sbr conversion. I have had a few issues. It would fail to fire geco 115, though when i chrono'd that batch of geco it was ranging from 700 to 1100fps. It broke the firing pin, sig sent me a replacement bcg.

It is accurate, trigger is ok, not great, not the new timmeny. Over all it is a damn fine gun. Stupid mags cost 65bucks or more. I bough 10 gen 1 10 roubders for 12.99 and converted them to 23/24 rounders. I load to 20. It does fine with those.

The ptr9kt is something i had been looking at for a long while. Well an mp5 /clone in general. There are several makers, HK sp5k genuine hk, mke/zenith makes it on liscensed hk tooling, pof(pakistani ordinance factory) makes it on liscensed tooling, all of these are made out side the US, so to sbr, i have to make 922r compliant. PTR is made here in the us, well respected, life time warranty, no worries about 922r compliance. Various kit builers from hk parts kits. Coharie,dakota etc. I plan to sbr the pistol, i did not want to drop another 500 into 922r co.pliance. on top of that i will shoot it suppressed most of the time. That imediately ruled out the hk sp5k, 922r and no trilug/ 12x28 barrel. I did get to hold one at a local shop, not also did not have a paddle mag release.

I have held the zenith and ptr at gunshows, i have not seen a pof here locally. Zenith and ptr have trilug, and paddle mag releases. Ptr is 922r compliant. So that is the reason i went with it.

So, i have had a few pcc guns over the years, currently own the ones above. All of them had issues under 500 rounds
Not many, but they did. So far the ptr has not hickupped once in its short 200 rounds. That is something new and nice to see. Everything is crisp, clean, solid on it. It is a faithful repro. With the romeo 5 i was poping steel at 50 yds stabding using the provided sling. 8 inch plates every time, 6 inchers 7 out of 10. 25yrds i was able to move and transition quickly from target to target. The biggest bennifit i had was the lack of gas in my face when suppressesed. Usually by 60 rounds i am gassed out buy the top 3. Ptr 9kt did not do that.. cleaning was a bitch though. Lots of corners and edges. It is as fine a pcc as one could hope for.

So now that we have a basis from which to answer your question. Let me ask how familiar you are with ar15 style rifles ie that is what the mpx is, and how familiar are you with side charging paddle release guns as that is what the ptr 9kt is. If i had to pick one or the other it would be a toss up on most days, if i had to only pic one, i would take the mpx, if i had to take only one pcc i would pick one of the BNT guns apc9/ghm9. All are in that 1600ish catagorey if you shop around. When would i pick the ptr 9kt first, when that is what i wanted. It is superb, not a damn thing wrong with it. I did however pick it fourth in my most recent (last few years ) purchases.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison, I’ve considered the MPX but honestly I don’t see myself actually using it much, I’ve got a Colt 9mm Upper for my M16, Scorpion EVO with a binary trigger, and a registered sear and binary trigger for my MP5 (Coharie Arms), MP5K & 5SD (Omega)

posted Hide Post
Given that take a serious look at the B&T line up.

Both the ghm and apc line ups are fantastic platforms.

If you have a registered sear pack, it will drop into the PTR S.E.F. lower.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Who cut the KRISS for you? We've got one to do

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TTI in ashland.

I had asked specifically if they were doing the cut, or if they were sending it off. They did the mpx cut down and the engraving for all three.

I received the mpx back, the b&t back, the kriss was sent to someone who sat on it since April. I got it back at the beginning of this thread. I was pretty frustrated about that.

Had I known it would sit there for 5 months i would have sent all 3 to the barrel boss. (which has done a few kriss vectors. )
http://barrelboss.com/
http://barrelboss.com/other-se...es/kriss-vector-sbr/

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
<snip>
If you have a registered sear pack, it will drop into the PTR S.E.F. lower.

I've used the sear in all 3 including my 52 and 53 clones ... I'd tried it in my 51 clone(308) but the muzzle rise was such that I wasn't comfortable with it, even with a HK21 stock.
I've had the Coharie Arms clone since 2007, and when I looked at the Omega SD & K, they are US made so no 922r to worry about, but also sear ready ... both the SP5K and the Turkish clone had to have machine work done and buy a FA carrier ... and lastly, Atlantic Arms was selling the Omega "barreled receiver" with the FA bolt-carrier/bolt, at that time about $500 cheaper than a complete weapon; all it didn't come with was the lower and mags so I went with that and have been very happy with fit and function ... only thing I didn't care for is the gloss black finish instead of a satin finish.
My 52 was built by PCS on a PTR receiver and its flawless, its the largest caliber I'm comfortable with in FA ; lastly, what I call my 53 is actually a Century 93 pistol it was also the cheapest ($650) although the finish is far from perfect I must have gotten lucky with it as after I put the right locking piece in it, it also runs perfectly in semi and FA, I was happy enough with it that I SBR'd it so I don't have to have the sear in it to shoot with the stock ... it actually has the worst finish on it, but I didn't buy it too look pretty, I bought it to shoot! I actually prefer it over all the others for size, handling and just the extra "umph" over the 9mm's.

Same for the M16; I've got uppers for it in 22LR, several in 223 including a belt-fed, 300AAC, 7.62x39 and 9mm.

posted Hide Post
The ptr comes with a tungsten weighted full auto capable bcg.

I just put another 160 rounds throu it. Not one issue. I am quite happy. I am thinking aimpoint acro, hol0 sun 507, though. The romeo 5 does not co whitness well, when in the low mount.

posted Hide Post
At round total of 395 the ejector broke off. I was shooting Fiochi 124 grain ball. Called PTR, they have a new one on the way.

posted Hide Post
My replacement part came in. I put it in, and ran 90 rounds through it. It functioned well. Not perfect but well. 147 grain was near perfect. Fiocchi 124, not so much. Fiocchi 124 is what I was shooting when the first ejector broke. The bolt speed of 115 and 147 grain ammo is nowhere near as fast as the 124 grain. I think the Fiocchi 124 grain is to hot when suppressed. I am going to pick up a couple more replacement ejectors like Lumbergh mentioned. I will also pick up a couple of heavier extractor springs. Oh, how does it shoot? Chitz and Giggles fun.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Damn, your thread! Now I have the Kriss Vector in my head like one of those damned kid show songs you can’t get out of your head. Big Grin

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10x, If you are in VA.... we can work something out for a meet and greet.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
10x, If you are in VA.... we can work something out for a meet and greet.

Damb! I hate when that happens ... BUT! Fear not there is a cure Wink

Just go buy one!!!!!!

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’d take you up on that if I was closer DS. Thx for the kind offer.

Man oh man, today I find out that B&T is in testing phase of 10mm (not sure if it’s the GHM10 or APC10).