SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever action 300 BO thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action 300 BO thoughts Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
My most recent thought is that I should buy a Browning BLR or Henry Long Ranger and get it modified to shoot 300 BO. Since both are available as magazine fed .223 versions, in my head all that I need to do is get the chamber modified and the barrel reamed and threaded and I would be in business for a magazine fed, suppressed rifle that would be quieter than an AR platform. Does anyone see any fatal flaws in my idea?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
You could do it, and I don't see any major drawbacks, except price for function.

Quieter than an AR? Sure, but a lever will still be a louder action than a bolt.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you do, you might want to price magazines.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider a bolt action 300BLK. One that's all set up and ready to go with the intended cartridge, and possibly has better magazine options.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
REM 700 in a chassis that uses aics mags.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing is ever fatal in the world, you just have to find the right person with the skills and knowledge and bring enough money. I can't see this being a particularly good project in terms of likely cost and benefit but that's me. Potential issues that would bug me is if you can get the barrel to be what you need safely.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Nothing is ever fatal in the world, you just have to find the right person with the skills and knowledge and bring enough money. I can't see this being a particularly good project in terms of likely cost and benefit but that's me. Potential issues that would bug me is if you can get the barrel to be what you need safely.

Yeah, the cost benefit portion of the equation doesn’t really make sense. I had this vision of a quieter, fun lever action project but I keep coming back to the fact that I’ll have a very expensive rifle that I don’t have a notable need for besides I think it would be fun.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While your last statement is true, you got me reading and thinking that would be cool as well. I like the cartridge, just don’t have much use for it or the guns I already have chambered in it.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you get a Shotgun style stock on your rifle. I have a 1904 vintage 1892 that a previous owner thoughtfully had re-barreled in 357 Magnum by Winchester and it's equipped with a Crescent style butt stock. That is distinctly painful to shoot 357 Magnums off a bench rest with. About the time I've sent around 40 rounds downrange I decide that's enough for the day. BTW, I also shoot Skeet and 200 rounds of 12 gauge is a cakewalk compared to just 40 rounds of 357 Magnums with that rifle. Since the 300 BO is a lot more powerful than the 357 Magnum you will want to do something to help mitigate recoil.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post