SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Best" AR/5.56 magazines....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Best" AR/5.56 magazines.... Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
It doesn't much matter at this point as legally I can't buy any more AR magazines with a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

However, I'm curious what you have found to be the "best" standard capacity magazine for your AR; 20, 30 or 40 rounds. I have this "thing" about OEM magazines which really makes little sense, but obviously they are not always the best even though they come with the firearm.

For example, I recently picked up a DD AR, an M4V5, comes with one magazine, would normally like more than one OEM mag, but I have quite a few Magpul P-mags, so it seems unnecessary.

What is your favorite AR magazine for 5.56?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Make it simple. Go Pmag and be done with it.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Gen M3 Pmags

Lancer L5AWM (black or smoke)

Surefeed Aluminum

Depending on who has the best deals and cash allows, I add a 10-12 every once in a while.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Lancer, pmag,daniel defense

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Best in terms of what passed what tests when, or what mags do you prefer?

Me, I prefer standard GI mags from NHMTG with Magpul followers. Why? I have used them forever and never had a problem. Can they get damaged and malfunction? Of course. Anything can. I own Lancers and PMags but I prefer GI because that is what I have the most experience with. They are in my "magazine comfort zone". I just don't have enough experience with anything else no matter what tests they passed.

For me, they work.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
Have Colt Al (Grey) 30 rounders & HK Steel (Black) 30 rounders.

The HK magazines are without question the magazines I am prepared to use and would have the most confidence with in terms of performance. In my opinion they have no weakness in either material or design.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Diversity is good.

M3 PMAGs and NHMTG/Okay/D&H aluminum.

Hate Lancers, too slick and hard to seat on a closed bolt.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Do you know if DD actually makes their own magazines?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Diversity is good.

M3 PMAGs and NHMTG/Okay/D&H aluminum.

Apparently NHMTG has discontinued their magazines.

posted Hide Post
Gen 3 Pmag and Lancer AWM is all I need in polymer. Don’t see the need to try any others as I can’t see them being much better, especially if they are more expensive. Not bothering with the DD mag as it won’t fit in my MR556. Guess DD didn’t learn what Magpul did when they went from Gen 2/MOE to Gen 3.

Probably best all around mag for compatibility is a good quality USGI mag.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay Surefeed magazines. A bit more expensive than Pmags, but IMO the best magazine available. If you keep an eye out they can be found for the same price as a Gen3 Pmag.

My next choice is the D&H Industries aluminiums. You can get them for the same or cheaper than Gen2 Pmags. I think the last price I paid was $7.84 shipped per mag in bulk purchases from Palemtto.

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
When I needed to buy mags for mine, I asked an E7 SEAL I know who is now in the reserves, for advice. His recommendation was P-Mag, and when I asked why, he said because they don't break, and they don't bend. You can drive a vehicle over them, and they will still function. You bend, drop or crush a metal magazine, and it is done.

This made sense to me, so I have stocked up on P-mags.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Wouldn't surprise me. they try to make most everything else themselves, but I havent been able to find who actually makes em.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I like Lancers and Okays.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay made NHMTG, so they are one and the same (essentially).

As I understand DD mags, they make them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
NHMTG, OKay, and FN.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you modify the tab on the floorplate they're easier to seat. Lancer has a note posted about it.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That I don't know. I guess I have assumed so as they make almost everything in house but I don't if they invested in injection molding equipment. I have about 2k rounds through 5 mags so its not really conclusive. I like the texture, followers and they seem rigid, especially compared to Lancers but I imagine time will tell on long term performance. I dingy think I would pay the going rate for them over other mags, mine were free or cheap.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Modify the follower stop at the bottom of the mag, and they will seat perfect.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

They discontinued that name, but Okay makes them now. They recently did a RADICAL design change on their most recent mags, and I haven't seen much about the new mags yet. The older (well proven) Okay mags are generally considered the best mil-spec style AR mag you can buy.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post