SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Henry case hardened .357 lever gun (advise on value)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry case hardened .357 lever gun (advise on value) Login/Join 
posted
I’ve always wanted one of these, actually want one in 44 as well but I was in my local shop and they have a lightly used one that I can get for $550 OTD, seems like a great price but I wasn’t sure what these go for used. Any input on the price and on the rifle in general would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: big_gun_man,

Posts: 2055 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
They are fine if you don't expect to run them like Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". They don't like to go fast. I've not seen one make it through a match without a jam. Now, have I seen all of them? No, not by a long shot. I'm just talking about the ones I've seen. On a personal note, I've not been able to get past the lack of loading gate.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. That is a very good price.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will use it as a range gun and maybe to hunt hogs so I’m ok if it’s not competition fast, it’s a beautiful fun and I thought that price was great too, it also has a very nice leather sling and the big loop is wrapped in leather as well which looks amazing to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
They are fine if you don't expect to run them like Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". They don't like to go fast. I've not seen one make it through a match without a jam. Now, have I seen all of them? No, not by a long shot. I'm just talking about the ones I've seen. On a personal note, I've not been able to get past the lack of loading gate.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. That is a very good price.

Posts: 2055 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. Great rifle. It is cheap to shoot with 38's. Like shooting a louder 22. It's simply a blast with full 357's. Accurate. That rifle should fill your needs as a range gun and to hunt hogs.

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had one in 45-70, no issues with it. 550.00 is a pretty good price.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At that price, it’s better than a Remlin, which I NEVER advocate buying. A JM stamped Marlin .357 would tack on another $200 unless you hit the pawn store lottery like I did when I picked up a well used specimen for $400 out the door.

As a contrast, I grabbed an 1894CP with a Trigger Happy kit and Williams peep in mint condition for $1000 and felt pretty good about it.

If a Henry appeals to you (I also can’t get past the lack of a loading gate) go for it. It certainly is a good enough price.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I have this on on my waiting list too. In .357.

That's a nice price.

Even if there is something goofy with it Henry will service it forever.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Henry .357 in Cowboy. It bobbbles .38s, but I have yet, in four seasons, had it choke on a .357

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big_gun_man:
I will use it as a range gun and maybe to hunt hogs so I’m ok if it’s not competition fast, it’s a beautiful fun and I thought that price was great too, it also has a very nice leather sling and the big loop is wrapped in leather as well which looks amazing to me.

I would have bought that without much deliberation. A .357 Henry has been on my wishlist for a while, just never high enough that I'd order one. Case hardened with leather adornments and a big loop? All positives to me.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please title your thread with more than a weapon name. Tell people why you're posting in the title.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post