SIGforum
Henry case hardened .357 lever gun (advise on value)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9880081554

April 01, 2019, 04:05 PM
big_gun_man
Henry case hardened .357 lever gun (advise on value)
I’ve always wanted one of these, actually want one in 44 as well but I was in my local shop and they have a lightly used one that I can get for $550 OTD, seems like a great price but I wasn’t sure what these go for used. Any input on the price and on the rifle in general would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: big_gun_man,
April 01, 2019, 04:26 PM
Rolan_Kraps
They are fine if you don't expect to run them like Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". They don't like to go fast. I've not seen one make it through a match without a jam. Now, have I seen all of them? No, not by a long shot. I'm just talking about the ones I've seen. On a personal note, I've not been able to get past the lack of loading gate.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. That is a very good price.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
April 01, 2019, 08:28 PM
big_gun_man
I will use it as a range gun and maybe to hunt hogs so I’m ok if it’s not competition fast, it’s a beautiful fun and I thought that price was great too, it also has a very nice leather sling and the big loop is wrapped in leather as well which looks amazing to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
They are fine if you don't expect to run them like Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman". They don't like to go fast. I've not seen one make it through a match without a jam. Now, have I seen all of them? No, not by a long shot. I'm just talking about the ones I've seen. On a personal note, I've not been able to get past the lack of loading gate.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. That is a very good price.

April 02, 2019, 04:29 AM
Packgoat
I have one. Great rifle. It is cheap to shoot with 38's. Like shooting a louder 22. It's simply a blast with full 357's. Accurate. That rifle should fill your needs as a range gun and to hunt hogs.
April 02, 2019, 06:24 AM
WARPIG602
I had one in 45-70, no issues with it. 550.00 is a pretty good price.

April 02, 2019, 07:50 AM
gearhounds
At that price, it’s better than a Remlin, which I NEVER advocate buying. A JM stamped Marlin .357 would tack on another $200 unless you hit the pawn store lottery like I did when I picked up a well used specimen for $400 out the door.

As a contrast, I grabbed an 1894CP with a Trigger Happy kit and Williams peep in mint condition for $1000 and felt pretty good about it.

If a Henry appeals to you (I also can’t get past the lack of a loading gate) go for it. It certainly is a good enough price.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
April 02, 2019, 11:07 AM
x0225095
I have this on on my waiting list too. In .357.

That's a nice price.

Even if there is something goofy with it Henry will service it forever.

0:01
April 03, 2019, 09:00 PM
LtJL
I shoot a Henry .357 in Cowboy. It bobbbles .38s, but I have yet, in four seasons, had it choke on a .357
April 04, 2019, 05:27 PM
Rustpot
quote:
Originally posted by big_gun_man:
I will use it as a range gun and maybe to hunt hogs so I’m ok if it’s not competition fast, it’s a beautiful fun and I thought that price was great too, it also has a very nice leather sling and the big loop is wrapped in leather as well which looks amazing to me.

I would have bought that without much deliberation. A .357 Henry has been on my wishlist for a while, just never high enough that I'd order one. Case hardened with leather adornments and a big loop? All positives to me.
April 04, 2019, 08:48 PM
arcwelder
Please title your thread with more than a weapon name. Tell people why you're posting in the title.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP