SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .450 Bushmaster AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 Bushmaster AR Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted
So... I'll preface this by admitting I have no business having this. I don't hunt. I don't even shoot much outside of an indoor range.
Sometimes you find yourself on-line past your bedtime and make good/bad decisions...

Here's my new upper. A .450 Bushmaster. I'm surprised there haven't been many posts on here regarding this caliber. 'Tis quite the Thumper. It is loud, it kicks, is somewhat expensive to shoot, but it makes big holes. Really big holes.

Looking forward to getting outside to actually take advantage of the scope. About 80 rounds through it so far in a couple sessions. I had one FTE on the second round. Smooth sailing since.

It is stupid fun to shoot. Pull the trigger and a grin forms immediately.

As Ferris would say, 'If you get the chance, I highly recommend picking one up'.

Todd

(Yes - the charging handle is missing in the photo. And it's not on safe...)

Edited - switched to Imgur from Photobucket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phxtoad,

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'd get the .458 SOCOM myself, just because "SOCOM" sounds like you're an operator. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'd get the .458 SOCOM myself, just because "SOCOM" sounds like you're an operator. Big Grin
That was the only large-bore to use rifle bullets, wasn't it? I think the Bushmaster and Beowulf use handgun bullets, limiting potential.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I'm almost in the same boat as you. Several years ago, some kind soul on the firing line offered to let me shoot his 450 Bushmaster. I've been desperately jonesing for a big bore ever since, even though it makes no "sense". TBH, there's too much of a tactical operator mentality on the gun boards lately. Sometimes, just putting a smile on your face is good enough reason. I like.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a buddy's .450 AR on a hog hunt a couple years ago. Ended up taking 4 hogs with it.

It definitely puts a smile on your face, and makes for a nifty shorter-range deer/hog hunting gun. Especially handy if you're in one of the states that restricts hunting calibers to straight-walled cartridges only.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hogs interfering with deer hunting. I have a tack driving Bushmaster Varminter, considering a .450 upper. Seems like a good solution to the hog problem. Can't trap enough to do any good.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The caliber received a resurgence when Michigan and other Midwestern states allowed a straight walled cartridge .35 caliber or larger for deer hunting in areas that were shotgun only. It also has min and max cartridge lengths. That is why you're seeing it chambered in the Ruger American and Ruger Gunsite Scout.

The straight wall eliminated many rifle cartridges such as the .458 SOCOM and .50 BeoWolf, and left the .450 Bushmaster, pistol calibers (e.g. .44 magnum), and Wildcats.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23251 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post