SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 20S OR 17S
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 20S OR 17S Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So if you need to shoot say 20 rds in say 45 seconds on targets at 300 yds. The last 15 rds you could not hit anything with any accuracy on the 17s due to the barrel heating up? Razz

Not at all. My Ranger Sniper buddy was getting consistant head shots at 600yds with one of my 17's. He didn't mention how many seconds to shoot how many rounds though he did want to trade me for that rifle badly!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So if you need to shoot say 20 rds in say 45 seconds on targets at 300 yds. The last 15 rds you could not hit anything with any accuracy on the 17s due to the barrel heating up? Razz

Not at all. My Ranger Sniper buddy was getting consistant head shots at 600yds with one of my 17's. He didn't mention how many seconds to shoot how many rounds though he did want to trade me for that rifle badly!

DJ, I wonder if the three prong flash hider on the 20S could be a hinderance to top accuracy. I was giving some consideration to replacing mine with a Surefire or equivalent. I also heard a few of the 20s may have arrived to their owners with improperly torqued barrel bolts, but I'm sure you probably checked that. I know UPS bounces stuff around a LOT in transport.

Another thing, the 20S ships with a 10rnd magazine. If the average shooter shoots a 5rnd group, that would mean that the magazine spring would be compressed by 50% therefore inducing a 50% difference in upward pressure on the BCG from the 1st through the 5th round fired.

Conversely, using a 20rnd magazine, there would be a 25% compression of the magazine spring for a 5 round string. That means a 25% difference in upward pressure on the BCG. I've seen this cause vertical stringing in semis in the past.

Interestingly, I have a Blaser LRS (one of the original ones before they switched to the LRS2) anyway, in that rifle the entire 10 round box magazine floats in the receiver (moves up and down during feeding), thereby ensuring the same upward pressure on the bolt throughout the full magazine.

Just some things to consider when wringing out your 20S. Keep us updated if you find any improvements in accuracy.

Best of Luck DJ!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've changed the FH on my 17's quite a few times and never noticed any effect. I can't imagine its an issue on the 20.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Points Belgian Blue, Thanks.

I did retorque the barrel bolts on the Scar 20 using the recommended order and using the Scar Toolkit calibrated torque wrench. I haven't shot it enough since to tell if thats made a big difference.

I have NOT yet applied your suggestion with a 20rd magazine. I will do that at my next range session. Excellent idea!

I've replace the original flash hider with a Silencerco Suppressor mount. I'm going to try it with and without the Suppressor to see what difference that might make. Initial groups with the can seem promising after I fixed the problem with a loose can.

In the end it might end up being as simple as the 20 preferring a lighter weight bullet than the 17's. Both of my 17's shot extremely well with 175-178gr handholds. It might just be that the 20 prefers a different load and a lighter bullet. I have not shot the 20 near as much as my 17's so it my accuracy issues might just be not having the right load although I do admit that the 17's shot really well off the bat. I have shot the 20 with Federal Match with OK but not exceptional results so far.

It also could be that I'm just not shooting as well as I was before when I was shooting almost every weekend. My Scar 20 issues could very well be 100% me not shooting as well with it. On the same day shooting the Scar I also had other rifles shoot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA 5 shot groups though.

Lastly I would like to find a new Barrel for my R93 LRS2, let me know if you manage to run across one that isn't stupid expensive.

Thanks for your input Belgian Blue!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post