SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trigger upgrade for a Winchester m70.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger upgrade for a Winchester m70. Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I have a Winchester 70 extreme conditions rifle in 30-06 that I am working on upgrading. I recently purchased a McMillan stock to replace the bell and Carlson stock it came with and topped it with taller lightweight low ring and a leupold vx3i 3-9 with a Boone and Crocker reticle.

Anyways, I want to put a different trigger in this gun, is there anything to look at other than a timney trigger?. This is a hi ting rifle and that's it. It will be my go to moose rifle for pack raft trips where I'm not really doing any mountaineering to get to the animals.

Is timney the way to go or is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jewell triggers are top notch. I have two in my high-power target rifles.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For a hunting rifle a Timney is usually a great choice. I may average about 2lbs to a bit more on my hunting rifles.

It sounds like a 'newer' Model 70? The older Model 70 triggers are easily adjusted as they came from the factory. With many things they now call the trigger 'improved' when it's really not.

I'd first ascertain that you have a new style Model 70 trigger that is NOT easily adjustable. There is no reason to get a replacement trigger for the older style. With the old style, the most one would have to do it take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith, info on the web too. My Model 70's are all old style.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Old-Style" or original model 70 was the best HUNTING trigger ever. It was unbelievably foolish to change it out on the newer models........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes this is a newer rifle, probably a 2015 model.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What tools would I need to install a tinney trigger into this gun??? They say they are drop in but I'd imagine I have to punch some pins out or something. I've never been the one to change the triggers in my guns, I've always had it done by a gunsmith or a friend.

posted Hide Post
The old ones just required drifting a couple pins out. You needed a couple small wrenches and a small screwdriver to adjust it once mounted. I haven't worked with the new M-70's (still pissed about the trigger LOL) but I'd bet you probably just need a couple punches and a small screwdriver to adjust the weight, sear etc.

If you aren't comfortable changing out and adjusting triggers it might be worth a reasonable charge at a competent gunsmith. That being said I've seen so many improperly adjusted triggers it's insane. Be careful allowing just any Bubba with a wrench tune your trigger!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
The old ones just required drifting a couple pins out. You needed a couple small wrenches and a small screwdriver to adjust it once mounted. I haven't worked with the new M-70's (still pissed about the trigger LOL) but I'd bet you probably just need a couple punches and a small screwdriver to adjust the weight, sear etc.

If you aren't comfortable changing out and adjusting triggers it might be worth a reasonable charge at a competent gunsmith. That being said I've seen so many improperly adjusted triggers it's insane. Be careful allowing just any Bubba with a wrench tune your trigger!

Thanks, the issue I have is that I'm in the middle of nowhere (lots of people say that but I actually am) so it's got to be menthat does it unless I wait until may when I get back to anchorage.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

Thanks, the issue I have is that I'm in the middle of nowhere (lots of people say that but I actually am) so it's got to be menthat does it unless I wait until may when I get back to anchorage.

Don't be afraid of swapping out your trigger just be careful and thorough. If it were me I'd see if there were a few how-to video's out (realizing some of them are FOS) watch them and do whatever pre research I could. Most of all make sure it's safe. With a lot of triggers you can get a light crisp pull but they won't pass a hard bolt work test or a butt drop test.

While adjusting your trigger make triple sure it's unloaded and try and work the bolt as vigorously as you can. If the firing pin doesn't stay back even once it needs more sear and/or weight. Also find a surface you can drop the gun butt down a few feet without damaging it. Let the gun drop from a few feet high and make sure it won't go off from the fall. I like to try and least the height it would be if I tripped over something and fell while hunting.

A more advanced trigger installation might include careful polishing of the sear surfaces. A smooth pull makes it seem much lighter and you can leave more sear engagement in and still have a nice pull. Unless you have the right stones, polish etc. this might be best left alone.

Best of luck!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

Don't be afraid of swapping out your trigger just be careful and thorough. If it were me I'd see if there were a few how-to video's out (realizing some of them are FOS) watch them and do whatever pre research I could. Most of all make sure it's safe. With a lot of triggers you can get a light crisp pull but they won't pass a hard bolt work test or a butt drop test.

While adjusting your trigger make triple sure it's unloaded and try and work the bolt as vigorously as you can. If the firing pin doesn't stay back even once it needs more sear and/or weight. Also find a surface you can drop the gun butt down a few feet without damaging it. Let the gun drop from a few feet high and make sure it won't go off from the fall. I like to try and least the height it would be if I tripped over something and fell while hunting.

A more advanced trigger installation might include careful polishing of the sear surfaces. A smooth pull makes it seem much lighter and you can leave more sear engagement in and still have a nice pull. Unless you have the right stones, polish etc. this might be best left alone.

Best of luck!

Right on, thank you for that advice. I hadn't even thought about dropping it to test it. Tinney actually has an instruction PDF you can download right off their website but YouTube videos are probably a good idea too. I've never been much of s gunsmith other than bedding a few stocks, I always relied on my buddy who actually was a pretty good gunsmith but he's not out here.

posted Hide Post
Those new MOA triggers really suck, don't they?

I was disappointed that there wasn't an "old-style" aftermarket replacement, so I got an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring. Problem solved. (Except I used up the better part of a BIC lighter melting that NASA-grade glue that was on the "adjustment" screw.)

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post