SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your favorite AR trigger?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite AR trigger? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm over here pondering the universe of AR triggers. So many!
Help me sort them out, a bit.

What's your favorite all-around AR trigger?
Favorite "fighting AR" trigger?
Favorite precision trigger?
Favorite "best buy/budget" trigger?

Let's leave budget out of everything but the "best buy/budget" category.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Tough call. My overall favorite is the KAC 2 stage (silver trigger bow) that is in my Circa 2015 SR15E3 Keymod 16"ers. Very clean 2 stage, and more a "duty" level of heft in the pull. Probably 4.5-5lbs total. Not scary light like I've felt Geissele SSA-E to be.

More recent SR-15 IWS lowers that I've picked up have an updated version (black trigger bow) are very similar though probably closer to a 4lb total pull and feel very similar to current Geissele SSA.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a geissle fan. I'm not much into trigger for this, trigger for that on an AR as I consider all of my AR's pretty much "fighting AR's". I have other stuff for precision long range work etc. I've tried all of the geissle options and the one I happen to like the best overall in an AR is the SSP. I have also used the Wilson Combat extensively in my PCC guns and its quite nice as well and I would have no problems recommending it.
For budget stuff I have installed the alg act and its pretty nice for its price range.
Things I have tried what didn't agree with me on an AR are the Timney and the RRA match (generally given high marks in price/performance, but I didn't like it).
There are so many as you say.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
My overall favorite is the KAC 2 stage (silver trigger bow)

This right here

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Geissles and really liked them, but couldn't stomach the cost. My go-to is the Larue MBT2. IMO it's a better value for the money...fantastic quality, not too light, not too heavy, clean break, and much less expensive. If money is no object, though, I'd go with the Geissle.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LaRue, Own 3,great trigger for the money!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Anything Geiselle but especially the SD-C.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I like a mil spec with a strong reset nowadays. Geiselle SD3G is fun though!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele SSA-E for most things.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Geissele Super Dynamic 3 gun trigger. Unbelievable fast reset, clean break. The closest trigger that approximates “auto”.
ALG Act trigger for the budget. ALG stands for Amy Lynn Geissele.
Larue MBT (when they are on sale)is also a great trigger.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I want to try an ALG. But I am cheap. The enhanced PSA trigger I have on one their lowers is nice. Again, a budget item and know they do not compete with those mentioned. But still a nice upgrade for the $. Also look at Tom's Tactical.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The ALG QMS is my default "all around" and "fighting" trigger.
The ACT is slightly smoother and the 2nd set of springs is a great value. The purple (reduced) spring makes it the equal of many boutique triggers I have tried.
The Geissele National Match is just supernatural, for precision rifles. I have only dry fired it but it was practically a religious experience.
I have a SSA on the way (bought in the Classifieds here) that I am looking forward to trying on my training rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one AR10 & AR15 trigger -- Wilson Combat single stage TTU. It works for all my rifles and purposes. One will be hard pressed to find a trigger that is so crisp in its break, and one with such a short and positive reset.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not a whole lot of experience with different triggers, but I’ll agree with RNshooter, the ALG ACT is a very good “all around” trigger for not a lot of coin. It’s got a traditional feel to it, but much smoother with a crisp break.

Now that I think about it, I’m not sure if I have the ACT or the QMS. Either way, I’m pleased with it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Not a whole lot of experience with different triggers, but I’ll agree with RNshooter, the ALG ACT is a very good “all around” trigger for not a lot of coin. It’s got a traditional feel to it, but much smoother with a crisp break.

+1.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
The ALG is my default "all around" and "fighting" trigger.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
the ALG ACT is a very good “all around” trigger for not a lot of coin.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
ALG Act trigger for the budget.

Agreed. That's what I have in my defensive rifles, and I think it ticks all three of the "fighting", "all around", and "budget" boxes nicely. Milspec-style, but a much smoother pull, and very reasonably priced, especially on sale.

If I were building something specifically for competition, I might go lighter/fancier.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My sole AR has a standard PSA LPK trigger.
Pretty happy with it, enough that I've never really considered replacing/upgrading it.

From the half dozen or so other ARs I've been behind, I haven't had any that led me to want to change either.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've tried the Geissles and really liked them, but couldn't stomach the cost. My go-to is the Larue MBT2. IMO it's a better value for the money...fantastic quality, not too light, not too heavy, clean break, and much less expensive. If money is no object, though, I'd go with the Geissle.

I bought the MBT-2S a while back when they had a big, "Let's see how many we can sell," sale. Nice trigger, but the face is way too flat. It needs to be rounded more on the sides.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Timney 3 lb. single stage triggers in all 3 of my AR's. Some may think that is too light but many years of being conditioned to only go inside the trigger guard when ready to fire works for me. Fact is if I see someone holding a firearm with their finger inside the trigger guard that someone is a person I avoid. I don't give a damn if that trigger is a two stage with a 12 lbs. break, get your damned bugger hook off that trigger unless you are on target and actually ready to fire.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have one AR10 & AR15 trigger -- Wilson Combat single stage TTU. It works for all my rifles and purposes. One will be hard pressed to find a trigger that is so crisp in its break, and one with such a short and positive reset.

That's what is in my ARs as well. Also gives me the excuse to buy their logo AR grip to look a little cool. LOL

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post