SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Radical POI shifts with Ruger 10/22 Takedowns.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radical POI shifts with Ruger 10/22 Takedowns. Login/Join 
posted
I built up a little 10/22 takedown with the Magpul stock and a Tactical solutions barrel. Firing from a bench with the forend resting I was getting 1/2 go 3/4" groups with hunting HP's - just fine for what I'm wanting this rifle for. Problem was that when I moved the rest back off the forend groups moved completely off target! This was a regular 100yd site in sized target.

I expect some impact shift but not more than a foot in some direction. Has anyone had luck tightening up the collar or other techniques to reduce Point of Impact shift on the 10/22 takedown? I'll be looking it over and seeing if I can figure anything out. I'll post here if I find a good solution..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Any pressure exerted on the forend is going to cause a shift in your poi. I can picture how leaning a little on the rifle while on the bench would cause the barrel to flex at the takedown joint, resulting in a poi shift when the stress is removed.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Question - when you installed the barrel, have you tightened down the barrel adjusting collar? If it's very easy to install the barrel on your rifle, it's likely loose and needs to be tightened down a good bit.

I have mine very tight so it takes some effort twisting the barrel on and off, but the barrel is rock solid with the receiver.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
something is seriously amiss in your barrel connection. I have no such issues. with pretty much the same setup. Now normally I wouldn't shoot this gun of a rest, but I did initially and then shot it freehand and yes there is a difference in group size but not group centering, but that's just because I suck.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had this issue until I adjusted the collar for tightening the takedown. A bit too loose or too tight, and it varies the POI. Play with it until you get it right. There is a sweet spot.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the type of issue I asked about when the rifle was first announced, and am still curious about, especially in light of the similar 9mm takedown. When anyone bothers to even acknowledge the question about POI/zero shift, the most we usually get is, “I’ve never had any problems,” “Mine shoots fine,” or something equally vague and lacking in details.

It’s good to know that the problem can be mitigated by setting the rifle up just right, or avoiding certain shooting methods, or holding one’s mouth a certain way, but again, has anyone done any rigorous comparison testing to see what causes problems and what doesn’t? As for adjusting the collar, is that an experiment, set, and forget process, or does it require fiddling with every time the barrel is attached?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
This is exactly the type of issue I asked about when the rifle was first announced, and am still curious about, especially in light of the similar 9mm takedown.

As for adjusting the collar, is that an experiment, set, and forget process, or does it require fiddling with every time the barrel is attached?

I'm considering the PC 9mm Carbine, and this concerns me as well.

If you don't ever plan on using the takedown feature, can you just tighten the collar down gorilla-tight and leave it?

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Question - when you installed the barrel, have you tightened down the barrel adjusting collar? If it's very easy to install the barrel on your rifle, it's likely loose and needs to be tightened down a good bit.

I have mine very tight so it takes some effort twisting the barrel on and off, but the barrel is rock solid with the receiver.

I'm going to try this......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I'm going to try this......

This all day long. Ensure the barrel collar is snug, working it a click or two at a time otherwise too much and you can’t assemble it. One click can make all the difference in Barrel to receiver fit. Accuracy with my LITE was all over until I learned this and it’s improved substantially. I haven’t messed with different torque settings on the receiver stock pin yet, which I’ve read can also gain additional accuracy.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I simply followed rugers setup directions (roughly speaking tighten and add two clicks)and have had no issues on the two examples I own of strange POI shifts on re-assembly. I know that's not exactly the original question as I use these for pest control and so don't switch between a rest and unrested. Its been minute of rodent just fine for awhile now.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for adjusting the collar, is that an experiment, set, and forget process, or does it require fiddling with every time the barrel is attached?

Mine has been set and forget. It 'clicks' each position as you tighten it down.

I have mine set that it take a bit of effort to disengage the barrel lock to put the barrel on / off, and accurate has been good and repeatable (no shifts).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post