SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marling SBL, anyone have one of those?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marling SBL, anyone have one of those? Login/Join 
posted
in the hankering for a new lever action and this one seems to fit the bill. Where I hunt mosse the bear population is quite large and I need stopping power should I ever encounter one. So, input very much appreciated, how is qc these days?

I really like the looks of this rifle and the size of it makes it really desirable.

My main use for it would be hunting moose and defence against bears.

Pictures are a huge plus! Smile

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean 1895SBL? 45-70?

Yep, have one and love it. My only complaint is that the front sight was canted off to the right. Should have noticed it before I brought it home but didn't. From what I've heard, this is not uncommon with the new Marlins. Other than that, it has been a great rifle.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've long-considered a 45-70, but want to try it before I buy it. I think the SBL would also be my first choice in the Marlin 1895 variants if I did buy one.

The SBL is on the top of quite a few lists for people I know ever since Jurassic World came out. But I can't blame 'em. a "movie-gun" or not, it's a beautiful rifle!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I have one and like it. They are pretty common where I live.

It will certainly work on moose and big bear, I haven't used it on those (yet) but would have nonissues in doing so. I take it out when I go walking and taking trips in my skiff. This summer I'm planning to do the entire Yukon river with my pack raft and I was thinking of taking it but I'll probably just take a 12g for bear defense and bird hunting.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the LeverEvolution ammo from Hornady.
Good stuff for levers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have one. It was one of the last JM Marlin SBLs and it showed (QC issues). I ended up sending it to Ranger Point Precision and had them work on the action and while there they did their accuracy package as well (the front sight was not properly indexed so accuracy was horrible). I shot it once and set it to RPP. The first picture is from that range session. The second picture is from my first range session after I got it back. I was shooting HSM’s +P hard cast 430 grain Bear Load each time.
(Click on each picture to enlarge)
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I knew I pulled the right flyer immediately upon shooting. For reference, I was shooting at 50 yards at the same range, same station, same weather conditions and open sights each time. The gun does have a good kick with this combo.

Despite the rough start, this is one of my favorite rifles. I would highly recommend RPP too. I considered Wild West Alaska and Brockman Custom but went with Ranger Point in large part because of their reputation on marlinowners.com. I don’t regret going that direction.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went back to the LGS today and fondled a bunch of the Marlins, different variations of the guide gun I guess, one CB, one GBL, the SBL and the regular guide gun. A fellow at the store (not one of the employees) said that a gun shop in a neighbouring town had a LNIB JM-stamped guide gun on display.

I really like the SBL configuration but if it struggles with quality issues I am probably better off with the older guide gun?

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nilsjohan:
I went back to the LGS today and fondled a bunch of the Marlins, different variations of the guide gun I guess, one CB, one GBL, the SBL and the regular guide gun. A fellow at the store (not one of the employees) said that a gun shop in a neighbouring town had a LNIB JM-stamped guide gun on display.

I really like the SBL configuration but if it struggles with quality issues I am probably better off with the older guide gun?

If the one you are looking at seems well made go for it. That being said, a JM is the preferred version on marlinowners.com.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nilsjohan:

As of today, quality control issues with the Marlins will be on par with that of any Remington product, which is mediocre at best these days. On the bright side, you can find really good deals on "Remlins" and if you do have any issues, Remington will fix them for you. I personally won't own a Remington made Marlin but I also won't own a non-American made Winchester either. If you're just a shooter who wants a nice looking gun, dont pay the premium for the JM stamp. Its mainly a thing for pursits and collectors than everyday shooters. The last 2 Remington made Marlins I handled had no easily seen problems aside from a shitty trigger but that might because the gun was new and not quite as worn in as my older Marlin made Marlins. A JM model gun will hold its value over the Remlin but you're going to pay a premium to get it, especially an SBL. The standard guide guns are a better value in todays market but lack that "wow" factor of the SBL/GBL. I have both blued and stainless JM guides and if I were to do it over again Id jsut get the blued model, have it chopped to 16in and then send it to ROBAR for full NP3. As it is....I cant bring myself to chop up a JM stamped gun and on the smae hand, cant justify paying to have the work done on a Remlin.

In short, if the new Marlin is a good bit cheaper than the JM gun and you don't care superficial things like stamps and perceived quality, get the Remington made Marlin. The JM vs Remlin is the same argument those make for German VS US made Sigs.....and I do prefer the German made Cool

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I fell into an 1895GS with a JM stamped barrel just before the Remington takeover. I love this rifle. I'm thinking of changing out the scope to a scout style scope because the first time I shot it with full power loads I got scope bit. Left a nice curved crease above my eyebrow. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I fell into an 1895GS with a JM stamped barrel just before the Remington takeover. I love this rifle. I'm thinking of changing out the scope to a scout style scope because the first time I shot it with full power loads I got scope bit. Left a nice curved crease above my eyebrow. Eek

Jim

Scout is the only way to go, here is mine on the left with an FXII Scout mounted.

I recently added the full scout rail from XS and replaced the FXII with a VXR 1-5. I like the 1 power of the VXR but it comes with a size and weight penalty. I'll upload some pics when I get some this week of the new configuration.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

Scout is the only way to go, here is mine on the left with an FXII Scout mounted.

I recently added the full scout rail from XS and replaced the FXII with a VXR 1-5. I like the 1 power of the VXR but it comes with a size and weight penalty. I'll upload some pics when I get some this week of the new configuration.

Warpig602 what is the rear sight and scope combination you have there on your far left rifle? I’ve been thinking about putting a scope on my SBL but can’t really find anything that is a co-witness. Do you just have a quick release mount? Thanks!

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
In that picture its the Lever Scout from XS. The Irons are the Ghost Ring from XS. While the iorn arent usable with the scope mounted I do have the scope mounted in Warned QD rings so it can come off in about 2 seconds.

2 weeks ago I upgraded the rail to the full Scout setup that is longer and has the ghost ring built into the rear. I thought I would need the longer real estate for the VXr 1.5-5 I added. The VXR is longer and heavier and sits a little further back than Id like but Ive come to find the Firedot scopes from Leupold a must have on my 99% of my hunting rigs.

Here is a quick shot I took of the new setup during isntall:

And another of the old setup:

Same setup just on the blued Guide:

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks Warpig602. I’ve got a Trijicon Accupoint with a #4 German that I’ve thinking about mounting on my SBL. I like your rings/mount and think I’ll go that way. I appreciate the second set of pictures which were helpful. I’ve given up on a co-witness but I think your quick release is an excellent alternative.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I've got a home rolled version- barrel OL is 16.25" with the comp.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I've got a home rolled version- barrel OL is 16.25" with the comp.

[/url]

Always enjoy seeing this one.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Always enjoy seeing this one.

That JM stainless G is sweet too.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post