SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    00 Buck or 0000 Buck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

00 Buck or 0000 Buck Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like Hevi-Duty #4 Buck (30 pellet loads) using the non-toxic/frangible shot produced by Hevi-Shot. I’ve used this company’s loads for waterfowl hunting and while expensive, the knock down power they exhibit on birds is indisputably better than steel shot or even lead (which isn’t as dense as this tungsten based material). It patterns tight too, which I happen to like on defensive shotgun loads.

Hevi-Shot also offers 3” OO and T-shot loads under their “Dead Coyote” label that pack 1.375 ounces (@1350 fps) and 1.5 ounces (@ 1300 fps) of tungsten matrix shot that would be extremely effective too.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think 4 buck penetrates deep enough. If you do use 4 buck, use a load that has plated pellets, as this aids in penetration. I think sixteen pellets of 1 buck is the ticket for home defense.

For many years, I kept a shotgun for home defense- first, a folding stock S&W Model 3000 and then a Benelli M1 Super 90. These days, though, I put my faith in 5.56mm.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107484 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Give me big balls and deep penetration!

Oh wait... Eek

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tiblow
posted Hide Post
After a long career in law enforcement in three large agencies in So. Cal and Midwest I'll say 00 is plenty good enough! I've seen it used too many times with devastating results in close and med. close engagements. And as someone mentioned it's cheap and easy to get!

If you think you need more power go with a higher muzzle velocity, nowadays there's all sorts of boutique loads and muzz vel to pick from!

There was a time I'd tell you that O buckshot was best simply b/c the difference in shot size is 00=.33cal and 0=.32cal, hardly a difference and you would have gained 3 extra pellets, 9 vs 12, however that's a mute point now since in the 00 line there's all sorts of 9 and 12 pellet loadings.....Have at it!!

If I were to add more of my .2 cents I'd say truly invest in a barrel or configuration that give you a nice reliable controlled pattern on your riot gun and test it out to confirm. I'd suggest having it VANG comped by Hans Vang in AZ, it'll turn a R870 into a SG sniper rifle at 25yrds and less and remove the recoil by 60%+!! You don't want strays flying around and there's nothing better than a reliably tight pattern downrange... all 9 center mass is devastating!

Posts: 2 | Location: Middle Earth | Registered: August 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think most would work just fine out of a 12 ga.

For coyote hunting my best loads were heavier than lead “T” shot. They easily out penetrated #4 buck.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Number 1 buck here. I'll take 15-16 .30 caliber pellets over 8-9 .33 caliber pellets any day of the week. The more .30 caliber wound channels the better. I use the Federal LE132-1B.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you heard of a center mass 00 buck shot or 2 not being a fight ender? Me either. Smile

00 is cheap, available, proven and loaded by everybody. I like #4 too but really 00 is my go to.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't think 4 buck penetrates deep enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cmGHz-4O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdpvv8xz6Y

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So good for shootin' nekid guys with no bones, got it. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Federal #4Buck FliteControl.

Correction to my post. I am using #1 Buck Flite Control. I previously loaded #4.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't think 4 buck penetrates deep enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cmGHz-4O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdpvv8xz6Y

So one guy says it doesn't penetrate enough while the other says it can penetrate too much. Of course some will say ballistic gelatin proves their point and other say that it's not the same as human flesh. Who knows Smile

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Pellets need to penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs. Heavy clothing, heavy muscle, and bones can limit penetration.

Use 1 buck, minimum.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107484 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
Normally 00 because it's so easy to find, but I've always like 4 Buck as well.

my favorite Number 4 buck. based only on informal tests though am also developing a fondness for rifled slugs. double aught buck much easier to find.

my uncle managed to Harvest, usually poach everything with Number 4 shot not number 4 buxk, ducks, pheasants, the occasional large snapping turtle, deer spooked out of a ditch, a chicken eating dog, skunks and other assorted varmits and predators

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I keep around some 00 loads of Federal flight control. To be honest, though, I'm not sure I can envision a scenario where I'd go to the shotgun and buckshot over one of my rifles, noting that my shotgun is basically a semi-auto duck-gun and not very well suited to a self defense sort of role.

There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that 00 buck is more effective if deployed after a rousing and enthusiastic "chack-chack" speech, however.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I grew up shooting shotguns so I'm quite comfortable with their controls, recoil, etc. I have a Vesa Max Tactical that I'm trying to decide what round I want to use for HD use. I have acquired a variety of 00 buckshot loads that I'm going to be testing in the next few days at the distances you would normally expect to see at home.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
with any gas gun, be sure the velocity is high enough to work the gun. I use an 1187 with federal 00 flite control at a bit over 1300 fps.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
with any gas gun, be sure the velocity is high enough to work the gun. I use an 1187 with federal 00 flite control at a bit over 1300 fps.

That’s a valid point. I’ve only shot a couple of boxes through the VMT but they were lighter loads and I didn’t have any problems with cycling. I’m really intrigued by the gas system Remington uses in their Versa Max shotguns. I think its inherent simplicity should make it more reliable than comparable guns. Time will tell, of course.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want a bad guy to have a terrible day try some Winchester segmented slugs. They break into 3 pieces upon impact and are not suppose to over penetrate,dumping all that energy inside.

This is what I got not PDX1: This is a segmented slug without pellets.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...x-12-gauge-segmented

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice video of different buckshot into ballistic gel.

www.youtube.com/embed/rhZf_x8Esms

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
That last gel test compilation seems to sum things up nicely.

00 is common, and I have several boxes of it handy, but if I could I'd go with 000.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post