SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    JP Rifles universal vise clamps?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP Rifles universal vise clamps? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Anyone use these?

Can you tell me the minimum size that the vise jaws would need to open to accommodate the clamps and an AR10 receiver?

I want a set, but need to make sure they'll fit my vise, to save me a lot of swearing.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Buy a reaction rod!
It doesn’t stress the receiver when tightening the barrel nut ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have them and find them very useful in specific circumstances. A reaction rod is a great tool but there are some jobs it can't do, for example work on an AR15 9mm barrel as there are no lugs and some other examples that apply to me but aren't too common on ar10's. if 100% for ar10 you probably are better served with a reaction rod.
I don't have an ar10 upper nearby but the blocks in total are .55" thick so just add that to the height of an upper and you will have the opening you need.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
This is for an AR10 and 15, so I'd like the versatility of the tool vs the reaction rod.

Plus, I mostly want a solid fixture for unscrewing muzzle devices and torquing them down without screwing up the receiver. I don't foresee any upper builds in the immediate future.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
This is for an AR10 and 15, so I'd like the versatility of the tool vs the reaction rod.

Plus, I mostly want a solid fixture for unscrewing muzzle devices and torquing them down without screwing up the receiver. I don't foresee any upper builds in the immediate future.

I built my 6.5 Creedmore with a JP reaction rod, because I bought their barrel, bolt & lightweight carrier and their capitured recoil spring, the rod is spicific to their AR-10 barrels, but it also does the AR-15's as well so its dual purpose.

Besides barrels I use it for muzzel devices, alinging gas blocks, installing hand-guards, optics, its handy for about everything related to the upper, the only negitive thing about their reaction rods, since the AR10 hasn't been standardized it only fits barrels with the Stoner/DPMS patterns (I believe the Armalite and a few others use a different bolt/chamber pattern.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
JP Rifles universal vise clamps

I have these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They hold my suppressor well enough to unscrew the front and rear caps.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For working on an AR upper the JP clamps are miles better than soft vise covers. If you are just working on barrel type fitting actions (barrel nut, FH etc.) a reaction rod is slightly better than the clamps. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post