SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cleaning out parts bin and found this. Any ideas on what it is?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning out parts bin and found this. Any ideas on what it is? Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Found them in a military looking pouch. Any idea what the parts are for? The larger tube looks like it would open, but I can't get it to budge.

Thanks.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
The smaller piece looks like a blank firing adapter or a cleaning rod guide for an AK or something similar with a push pin lock that goes into the indentations.

Is the inside threaded?

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Yes the smaller part is threaded.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Yes the smaller part is threaded.

But it won't fit on my AK.

NRA Life Member

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Not to be a PITA, but did you try that on both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39? Some of the '74-types have different threading, and that sure looks like a thread protector to me. Actually it really looks like what I remember a Yugo M77 thread protector looking like. Don't know about the larger object.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Thread protectors like that come in left and right hand threads and a couple of different pitches. IIRC, the VZ58 is one of the oddballs. Also anything with a replacement US made barrel could be different than the original.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3443 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a blank firing adapter for a Czech VZ-58. The thread pattern is 14-1 right hand, unlike the AK-47's 14-1 left hand thread.

The other item is an oil container from a VZ-58 cleaning kit.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:
That is a blank firing adapter for a Czech VZ-58. The thread pattern is 14-1 right hand, unlike the AK-47's 14-1 left hand thread.

Thank You. Never owned a VZ-58 so no telling where it came from.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:

Thank You. Never owned a VZ-58 so no telling where it came from.

It came from the Putter Backer Elf. He is an Elf who puts back lost items. As for how it came to be that it was Put Back in your knick knack sack, that is simple. The Putter Backer Elf likes to reward himself with a nip (1/2 cup) of Jameson's after each successful Put Back. As a result he mostly Puts Back lost items in the wrong location. BTW, concerning those socks you thought were lost in your dryer, quite oftern they weren't actually lost. What has happened is the Putter Backer Elf has put an extra sock back into your dryer.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post