SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's the dumbest thing you've ever put on a gun or wanted to?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the dumbest thing you've ever put on a gun or wanted to? Login/Join 
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
A bayonet on my shotgun.

Me, probably the dumbest thing I did was years ago install a Hungarian side-folder stock on an AKM. I liked the look and the price was right. The solid steel trunnion just made balance worse and as we all should infer, cheek weld sucks. I know there's clamp-on stock combs, but I got used to it.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I had a laser on an AR back around 1990, thing was as big as a toaster.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pretty minor in the scope of "dumb things to put on a gun", but I'll say putting a single point sling on one of my ARs.

Sounded like a good idea, and it seemed like all the cool kids were using them. But once I tried it out in person, I recognized that there were serious drawbacks, like having to keep a hand on it at all times to keep it from flopping and banging around.

I've stuck with adjustable 2-point slings ever since.

^^^This. Should have tried one out beforehand. "C'mon Mike, we all use them".
Hated it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Pretty vanilla but a 20 round tapco mag on my SKS.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an Sks yugo , and decided to put a scope on it.
what a great gun , until I effed it up.
three weeks later ther was a thread about putting scopes on Yugo's

ANd THEN ! it was mentioned , not to do it , it was never meant to be scoped.

yes I shot much better with the scope at 300 yards. but I regret it on a regular basis.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I once mounted a Mossberg shotgun on a Colt A2

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
That you Billy?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
One of my ARs has a picatinny-mount bottle opener.

It does also have a QD socket for a sling, so it's partly functional? Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

That's a thing? You have a link?

And see, this is what I was talking about. Wildly inappropriate, almost useless, but it still almost seems right.

And I'm glad others have had the underslung shotgun idea.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteer:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

That's a thing? You have a link?

And see, this is what I was talking about. Wildly inappropriate, almost useless, but it still almost seems right.

And I'm glad others have had the underslung shotgun idea.

Oh, sorry, it's an HK-style sling mount. Truth be told, this rifle has never worn a sling, I just thought it was neat so I added it. Plus there was no forward sling attachment point, so I figured if I ever wanted one..

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ar-15-aluminum-matte

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
That you Billy?

Where do you think the dumb idea came from when I was a rich Lance Corporal?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
A scope on my sks and painting it. both dumb and I wanted to do it. What do i win?

Posts: 3506 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fear No Beer
Picture of K9346
posted Hide Post
Notches

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Back in Ok, finally | Registered: September 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
So far....a vortex strike eagle with magnifier.

I just can't get the combination to make me happy. Every vortex product I own currently, I regret.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
A single point sling works on an mp5k but nothing else I have seen.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
That you Billy?

Where do you think the dumb idea came from when I was a rich Lance Corporal?

"If it bleeds, we can kill it".

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

I just can't get the combination to make me happy. Every vortex product I own currently, I regret.

You put a magnifier behind/in front of a strike eagle?

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
My first AR was pretty unbelievable as far as current trends are concerned - YHM two piece picatinny rail, budget light, single point sling, Eotech. It was heavy and just barely useful, all of it is long gone, only thing I have left is the lower because I put it on a Form 1.

Crimson Trace on my G19 - no good.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

You put a magnifier behind/in front of a strike eagle?

No, actually I misspoke/mistyped.

I have a strike eagle somewhere in transit/repair with Vortex that came with an AR10 purchase from a friend.

At the prompting of several friends, I purchased a strikfire II and magnifier for my AR15 build, and I'm very unhappy with it.

I'm waiting on funds, and receiving of the strike eagle...and then I think I'm dumping vortex products altogether. Unless the strike eagle impresses the crap out of me...so far, having to have it sent in for repairs within 1 year of it's purchase and waiting nearly a year to get it back isn't impressing me much.

The largest turnoff for the strikefire and magnifier was the "made in china" sticker on the side. Next was the fact that though purchased together as a set...they don't line up when installed. I'm still looking for the right spacer to make them work together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post