SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's the dumbest thing you've ever put on a gun or wanted to?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the dumbest thing you've ever put on a gun or wanted to? Login/Join 
posted
Just like the title says. What's something you've regretted or know you would regret?

For me, for some reason, I've always wanted to put a MasterKey on an AR. I know it'd be stupid heavy, and really impractical for my uses, but I just like it.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A bayonet on my shotgun.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BAD Lever.... Just plain bad!!!!

Seemed to always engage or disengage at all the wrong times.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Pistol grip on a 12 ga.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hogue slip on grip on my first AR15. And an accuwedge. Thankfully I learned early and those were the only crap-tastic items I ever used. This was the late 90s. I met Wes Grant at MSTN and he set me straight on only using quality rifles, optics, and accessories.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Shitty optics.

There is budget, but decent.

Then there is just plain crap.

Fortunately the crap optic I bought wasn't as bad as the stuff I saw a few weekends ago.

Some kind of shitty Barska abortion with improper height, shit eye relief, some piece of trash laser, and a flashlight (I think) all built into the optic. It should be illegal to sell trash that bad.

It was a new shooter and I was just getting him acclimated. I think he got the idea when he got some trigger time on a few rifles with actually capable optics.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't normally do anything too crazy with my guns most just remain stock so I'd have to agree that awful optics would be the worst thing I've ever done.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once bought a Mag-Na-Ported a 4 inch Model 29. My eyebrows just grew back in last week! Now I know how I got such a great deal on it. And I don't think it reduced recoil or muzzle rise a bit!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pretty minor in the scope of "dumb things to put on a gun", but I'll say putting a single point sling on one of my ARs.

Sounded like a good idea, and it seemed like all the cool kids were using them. But once I tried it out in person, I recognized that there were serious drawbacks, like having to keep a hand on it at all times to keep it from flopping and banging around.

I've stuck with adjustable 2-point slings ever since.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
A lanyard. I owned a CZ52 and an East German Makarov that came with military lanyards. I kept them installed until I came to the realization they served no practical purpose.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XS scout scope mount on my marlin 1894c 357 mag. Looks way out of place on a lever action and I made sure to use plenty of locktite so.it wouldn't come off.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pretty minor in the scope of "dumb things to put on a gun", but I'll say putting a single point sling on one of my ARs.

Sounded like a good idea, and it seemed like all the cool kids were using them. But once I tried it out in person, I recognized that there were serious drawbacks, like having to keep a hand on it at all times to keep it from flopping and banging around.

I've stuck with adjustable 2-point slings ever since.

This. Every single point sling should come with a complementary cup.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scope rings on an AR. When I tried to shoot from any other position than strong side I could not pick up the scope for anything. To be fair, the rings were free. I swapped them for a Badger Ordnance mount yesterday that should solve the problem.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I really have wanted to put a 37MM launcher on my go to rifle.....or a master key.....but at the end of the day I could not justify either.

On my hunting AR I have mounted both a white light and a green light....no real need for a white light so that will be coming off. I need to mount an IR laser but they are quite pricy

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Eotech XPS-3. I actually did experience noticeable POI shift in cold weather while hunting coyotes (with a 3x flip-up magnifier), and it cost me quite a few shots during two trips. Even the amount of money I made on it during the recall didn't make those missed shots worth it.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Bacon...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
A barrel shroud for my Tavor, I cant find a company that makes any for it so I never got one.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Long time ago, I bought an Aimpoint for my 870 Wingmaster.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Long time ago, I bought an Aimpoint for my 870 Wingmaster.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if you're turkey hunting, or hunting larger game with slugs.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Eotech on a AR. Laser grips on few handguns.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post