SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN Tactical Police Shotgun: tell me about it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Tactical Police Shotgun: tell me about it Login/Join 
Picture of Sea Bass
posted
A local pawn shop has a used but good shape FN Tactical Police shotgun for $499.

They are basically built on the Winchester 1300 series. I looks like it bred with an M16A2--its a pump shotgun, holds 8 rounds, has a ported barrel and has an A2 fixed butt stock, A2 pistol grip and M16A2 style iron sights. Its sorta ugly in a cool kinda way--it kinda has a face only a mother could love.

I remember these were somewhat pricey back in the early to mid 2000's and I wanted one but couldn't afford it at the time.

Is it worth it? I had an 870 18.5 inch and sold it and want a tactical style shotgun to replace it. I also have a Benelli Nova 24 inch for 3 gun which I can use in a pinch for now. I am into shotguns now and am into diversifying my portfolio as it were. Is it one to add to the collection? Should I just get the Mossy M90A1 down the road for a few buck less? I would like to get both at some point but the Mossberg's a dime a dozen and you just don't see the FN's at all.
If you have one I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks,
SB

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sea Bass,

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I like it. A lot. The only downside is of course like all FN products parts are problematic and the aftermarket is nothing like any other mainstream product. Mine has been reliable.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy it right now. They are hard to fine and nice guns. Rather have that then today’s 870. Last one I seen sold was for 800.00 two years ago.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Buy it, if you don't end up liking it, I'll buy it off you for what you paid.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that they are built on the Browning Gold/Silver gas piston system. In my experience, the Browning system has been very very reliable.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a pump shotgun. it does not have a piston. You may be thinking of the SLP.

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
The first shotgun I bought at the age of 18 was one of these but it had a collapsible buttstock. I loved it, but I needed money so I had to sell it, and it’s one of many I’ve regretted letting go.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine has a collapsible as well, I've never actually seen one with a fixed but it was in the catalog at one point.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Seems like a good deal. I would buy it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates everyone,
I'll go check it out and let ya'll know if I pick it up.

Thanks,
SB

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This is a pump shotgun. it does not have a piston. You may be thinking of the SLP.

Yep. My bad.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I'll second that bid to buy off of you if you dont like it. Can always use another long gun

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I don't like collapsable stocks on shotguns because they can, well, collapse. Try a few 3" slugs.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both of the pump versions (the Winchester copy and the BPS in tactical configuration and the SLP smooth bore. I was going to get the SLP with a rifled barrel and extension for a scope but got an A-Bolt instead, reasoning that for a long precision shot speed would not be that important. All of them are top quality guns and are as good or better than any Mossberg or 870/1100 I have owned. The A-Bolt using sabot slugs is near MOA accuracy, depending on the slug. Using a top quality sabot slug in a rifled 12 gauge barrel is essential to good accuracy.

Posts: 2 | Location: Gods' Country and/or sandland | Registered: November 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Winchester 1300 Defender for a # of years, and unlike a few Remington 870s I have owned in the past, I CANNOT make the thing malfunction. And I have tried. If the FN is anything at all like the 1300, you will get fine service out of it.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Well I picked it up about two weeks ago. I got them down to $400, so $424 out the door! I am stoked about this one. It looks like it hasn't been fired--there is no wear on the action bars and there is no fouling in the chamber or on the breach face. The action is a little stiff, nothing like my old Wingmaster (but then again, nothing is quite like an old WM) but I am sure it will break in nicely and smooth out with some lube and use. This thing shoulder's nicely, the sights come up quicker than I thought they would and it comes with an improved cylinder choke. Can't wait to get this one to the range. Thanks for everyone's input on this one. Now for the pictures. (bear with me, having trouble posting pics)
SB

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sea Bass,