SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Favorite AR Safety?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite AR Safety? Login/Join 
posted
My mil spec safety is feeling a bit gritty. Was looking to get an upgrade. Any ones I need to look at?

So far I liked the bad-ass lever and the fortis FIFTY. Anyone have experience with either? The fortis looks nice, hard to tell how bulky it is from the pictures. I like that you can customize the bad-ass, I might go with a crank on the strong side and the short thin on the weak side.

Thanks in advance.

*****UPDATE*****

In case anyone had a gritty safety, I did as a few above advised. I took a few passes over the detent with a file, honestly didn’t even feel like I did much of anything to it. I cleaned out the nooks in the gun and grip, small amount of oil, and it is like a night and day difference. Completely smooth.

Of course, I had my mind set on getting a new safety and really like that Radian Talon. Hard to justify it now...or is it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hunter62,

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use Radian on mine. I have no complaints but dont recall trying any others to compare them too.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Some ppl hate them but I like the Noveske STS

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Radian Talon. You can set it up in traditional throw or short throw simply by rotating the tumbler. The Noveske STS is very pointy, and always dug into my hand.

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
I use Radian on mine. I have no complaints but dont recall trying any others to compare them too.

Another vote for the Talon. With it set up on 45 degree throw it's fantastic.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
My mil spec safety is feeling a bit gritty.

If you don't want to replace the whole thing, you might try giving the tip of the detent pin a couple light passes with a fine file. One of my safeties was rough because there was a burr on the end of the detent.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noveske STS 60degree throw lever. Lightweight and very effective/smooth.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the BAD-ASS when it came out and have stuck with them. Would be just as happy with a GI style, though.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Colt OEM

Clean/lube or replace the detent and spring. That's probably the source of the gritty feeling.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
My mil spec safety is feeling a bit gritty.

If you don't want to replace the whole thing, you might try giving the tip of the detent pin a couple light passes with a fine file. One of my safeties was rough because there was a burr on the end of the detent.

this,

or just pull it and clean it out,
sometimes some grit and dirt can get in there

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Badger Ordinance

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had Spikes, BCM, Colt, LMT, Sig Sauer, Noveske and Battle Arms Development. The best feeling by far has been the Colt ambi safety. It has positive clicks and super smooth with an inertia or weight to it that feels just right. The fastest safety I have is the Noveske short-throw.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Have tried a lot of different ones and always go back to the Noveske 60 degree which remains my favorite. I don't care for ambi safeties (have tired a lot of those too).

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Radian Talon, having the 45deg throw is great.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Looks like I need to take a look at several more.

This is actually a new build and it has been gritty since it was installed. I have shot it a few times and made sure it was well lubed, but just doesn't have the same feel as my other older ARs. I will take a closer look at the detent pin and maybe run a file across it.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Another solution is to remove the detent spring and cut one coil off the end. This will help and also the aforementioned filing/stoning/sanding the tip of the detent are good suggestions.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Rock River Arms Star Selector

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case anyone had a gritty safety, I did as a few above advised. I took a few passes over the detent with a file, honestly didn’t even feel like I did much of anything to it. I cleaned out the nooks in the gun and grip, small amount of oil, and it is like a night and day difference. Completely smooth.

Of course, I had my mind set on getting a new safety and really like that Radian Talon. Hard to justify it now...or is it.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Keep your booger hooker off the bang switch until you're ready to go" said a retired E-8 SEAL buddy of mine.

I figure with advice like that coming from a friend who's shot more in a month than I'll likely shoot in my lifetime, can't be too wrong

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Radian Talon. You can set it up for a standard 90° throw, or a short 45° which is how I use mine. Couldn’t ask for smoother, was a worthwhile upgrade.

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post