SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking to fill a hole in my rifle battery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to fill a hole in my rifle battery Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have everything covered but you can always use a good .30 cal or even .32

.300 RCM
.30 Nosler
.325 WSM
8mm Rem Mag

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Alaska and hunt extensivly, I have fewer calibers in my safe than you have.

I do everything with 308, 30-06 and 375HH. The last 4 moose I've killed were with a 375HH as well as the bears I've got over the past few years. Sheep, goat, caribou, blacktail all get the 308 or 30-06.

If I was going to add another cartridge, it would be a 300 win mag.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why you have a rifle that has a battery ... unless its a rail gun ... or something in the 30watt range.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've killed two moose, two or three bull elk, a few nice mule deer, and lots of wild pigs with my .35 Whelen. It's a great caliber for up to 400 yards and using bullets weighing from 200 up to 250 grains is perfect for anything found in North America. I don't handload, but Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammunition companies have always served my needs. It's not a magnum caliber, but when you compare the ballistics of the .35 to the .338 Winchester Magnum, it's easy to see how getting hit by a Whelen would be indistinguishable to any Alaskan moose or bear within reasonable range. Double Tap and

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
300 H&H

JD

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
9.3x62 or 35 whelen are great calibers for any N American game. One limitation is range due to them not exactly being flat shooting.

Recoil wise they are quite ok....at least compared to their larger brethren.

Ammo selection is slighty problematic but it is available.

Great mid range thumpers

Also 338 win mag, depending on bullet selection it can reach out farther than the above calibers.....but brings the "magnum" unpleasantness.

The 9,3x62 is a completely different round if you reload. Pressure tested loads easily reach 2600fps with 250gr bullets putting it up in 338 Win Mag territory. 286gr bullets sneak up on 375 H&H velocities in a 30-06 size action. Factory loads are still at turn of the 20th Century pressure levels. Factory loads can easily be increased to SAFE, MODERN pressure levels and vastly increase factory load performance. GREAT ROUND for a reloader. One of mine has 30+ kills on African game one shot kills including Cape Buffalo (by my friend whom I bought it from).

Excellent quality Lapua brass is readily available for 9,3x62.

If you are interested let me know and I can point you to more info to help............DJ

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post