SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hunting Rifle Sling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Rifle Sling Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
We have had posts about shooting slings like Turner, we have had discussions of one point slings, and AR slings, etc.

I am looking for a decent hunting rifle sling. Something that I can put across my chest with the rifle on my back for heavier hiking, and carry on one shoulder for a more ready position.

I am not looking for a Kifaru Gun Bearer, or other kind of quick to action carry system like one might want in bear country. I am looking for something traditional, useful and durable. I don't care if it is nylon or leather, but it has to be stable, rugged and comfortable. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I don't want a weak, floppy, slippery or otherwise cheap looking and feeling sling either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I have Montana Slings that I love. I have a couple I swap amongst rifles. The knot enables ready transitions you describe.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Claw slings.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...ng-System/734690.uts

They stay put when I hike around.

When Im wearing heavier clothes (winter jackets) I like a normal leather sling, its just more comfortable for me. I got one from simply rugged and im happy with it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the ultreflex rubber sling. I probably have 50 of them, you should too.

Looks like these are now owned/made by Slogan outdoors.

Nothing else comes close, so versatile. Great for carry, great for hastey, just great.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Claw sling on my deer gun for years and it has been very comfy. Quick to access when slung traditionally over a shoulder and easy enough to use as a hasty sling.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do you just want a carry strap, or do you plan on using it as a shooting aid too?

If you're planning to use it as a shooting aid, check out the Rhodesian sling from Andy's leather. It's basically a Ching Sling, only without the third sling swivel.

https://www.andysleather.com/p.../the-rhodesian-sling

Here are some reviews:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014...odesian-scout-sling/

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/t...andys-leather/28519/

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweden:
I'm a huge fan of the ultreflex rubber sling. I probably have 50 of them, you should too.

I had never run across the Ultraflex sling. It looks very interesting for a standard design.
Just what I need: Another sling for the collection. Big Grin

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Do you just want a carry strap, or do you plan on using it as a shooting aid too?

Good question that nobody ever seems to ask.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
I have Montana Slings that I love. I have a couple I swap amongst rifles. The knot enables ready transitions you describe.

This is the sling you seek.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Good question that nobody ever seems to ask.

Should have been more clear. I want something that has a good hasty option, but am not sure I want to go full turner. I also don't want something that has a loose end flapping around (under recoil Big Grin) which is what has put me off some of the nylon options with a quick pull buckle for tightening and loosening.

The Rhodesian sling looks like a contender, but I like the no slip pad of the Claw. I haven't yet found a picture of the Montana used as a hasty sling. Does it have that capability?

ETA: I have done some image googling, and it looks like the Montana has the hasty capability of the Rhodesian with the knot binding system substituting for the fast buckle. Does the knot wrap hold up?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the quake on my hunting rifles and like the contour and slimline even better.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
ETA: I have done some image googling, and it looks like the Montana has the hasty capability of the Rhodesian with the knot binding system substituting for the fast buckle. Does the knot wrap hold up?

The knot holds well for me. Tighter the take up, the tighter the hold, kind of like a Chinese finger trap. You easily push the knot loose and slide the knot back or forward to wherever you want, take tension and the knot holds.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very best, IMO, that is the quickest to adjust and has beautiful leather is the Murray Quick Set:

http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post