SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli Montefeltro - Recoil ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli Montefeltro - Recoil ? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
Thinking of getting a 20 gauge youth model for my wife (ideally) but mostly my 13 yr old son. He is 98lbs and growing, about 5'5" currently.

Was wondering if the kick is any worse given its simple recoil rotating bolt action versus than say a comparable Rem 1100 with more moving gas parts?

I like the light weight of it and narrow foregrip along with the 24" barrel.

Any experience with relative felt recoil?

Thanks

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
A lot is made of the difference in recoil between gas and inertia guns. Shooting both side by side, I just don't see much difference.

I would rather teach a youth on a nice and light Benelli over an 1100 any day.

I have shot my Benelli M2 side by side with a Winchester SX3, SX2, FN SLP, and Mossberg 930. I felt very little difference. The 930 actually recoiled significantly MORE with slugs than my Benelli.

Only thing I would suggest is a field model with a comfortech stock instead of the fancier wood stocked Montefeltro. The Montefeltro is all wood if I understand correctly. The Comfortech stock does reduce felt reoil some IMHO.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the benelli recoils more than an 1100 in good working order, but not that much more. especially in 20 ga.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I had a 12 gauge Montefeltro that would rattle your teeth. I can shoot clays all day long with my Beretta, 100 rounds through the Montefeltro and I was ready to put it away.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I had both a 12 gauge and 20 gauge Montefeltro (HK manufacture) that I hunted with for years. Both were fairly soft shooting. The 12 gauge was mainly 3" 1-3/8 ounce three shot (steel) that I used the gun to shoot ducks in timber.

Ahhhhh, good times.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
If recoile sensitivity is an issue, you might consider a beretta a400 with the kickoff system. My 12 gauge sporting has little more felt recoil than my citori in .410, and I imagine the 20 gauge models are very similar.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think you'll be fine regardless.

I started bird hunting at 9 or 10 with a 20 gauge youth model Winchester 1300 pump. At about 13 I switched to a pretty light 20 gauge over/under with a hard plastic butt plate.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I love my Monte 20g, I don't notice the recoil, not much there. Put a ton of rounds thru it with zero issues.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Try a Beretta 390 YM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I started using managed recoil or low recoil 00 and slugs in my Benelli M1S90 and it made a helluva difference. Not sure if they make those rounds available in hunting rounds and/or 20 gauge. I hunted rabbit and squirrel with single shot 20 gauge when I was a teen and probably not much bigger than your family members.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I had a 12 gauge Montefeltro that needed repairs and it took nearly a year for the gun to be returned to me. When it finally arrived, the stock had broken at the grip during shipping. They had no ETA for a replacement stock, so I jumped at the offer from my LGS to give me a refund on my original purchase. I left the Montefeltro for them to deal with and used my refund to buy a new Beretta A400 12 gauge. I couldn't be happier. Since that swap, I've sold my Remington 1100s and bought Beretta A400s in 20, 28 gauge, and a camouflaged A400 waterfowl model. It's a great, soft shooting design and whenever someone asks about what to buy in a semiautomatic shotgun, I recommend these or the lower cost version (A300).

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
and I routinely have gas guns in need of cleanings/lubrication in the duck blind all aorund me while my benelli keeps going bang.

/anecdote

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I started using managed recoil or low recoil 00 and slugs in my Benelli M1S90 and it made a helluva difference. Not sure if they make those rounds available in hunting rounds and/or 20 gauge. I hunted rabbit and squirrel with single shot 20 gauge when I was a teen and probably not much bigger than your family members.

You can definitely shoot lighter loads. I grew up shooting dove and quail with 2 3/4" 7/8 oz 1200 fps 20ga loads.

Real heavy 20ga shells are 1 1/4 ounce at the same velocity. Heavy 12ga shells are 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 ounce at 1300-1500 fps.

These days when I (rarely) bird hunt or (slightly less rarely) shoot clays, I use a 12ga o/u with a Kick-Eez pad and 1 ounce 1200 fps loads. It kicks less than the 20ga o/u I grew up with because the load is almost the same and the gun is heavier. A 100-shell round of sporting clays is no big deal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a "youth" model Benelli Montefeltro with no difficulty. The comments that the Benelli will work reliably with low recoil shells are spot on.

I also have a Montefeltro but in 12 gauge. It works perfectly with 7/8 ounce loads, and that's in TWELVE gauge.

The Benelli's intertial-recoil action supports a broader range of shells than a gas-operated action, IMHO

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby SA-08 20ga is lightweight with barely noticeable recoil. It's a really nice gun, especially for the price.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There is always a tradeoff between weight and recoil but there is a lot more to it than that. It's all about the weight, fit, form, and how much you are going to shoot it that add up to the pleasantness or unpleasantness of recoil. 5.5 pounds is very light weight even for 20 ga and you will feel some recoil from standard field loads in that gun. Improper fit or shooting form is going to get you some punishment with any gun as well. I would personally not start a new youth shooter with that light weight a gun in 20 or 12. I have a 28 gauge Franchi that is just over 5 pounds that I put in the hands of beginners if weight is an issue, otherwise we use a heavier gun.

We have coached a lot of beginners in skeet and it's frustrating to see some get turned off to the game because they are shooting a gun that does not fit them, and it is beating them up. My advice is try before you buy, seek counsel from an expert at gun fit, and train for proper form on the gun to maximize the potential for a positive experience.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post