SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Precision Long Range .22LR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precision Long Range .22LR Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
I was torn between the Tikka T1x and a Cz 457 varmint. I ended up with the Cz. I added a KRG bravo chassis and a Athlon Argos 6-24 scope. I successfully used it at 300 yards yesterday in some pretty sporting winds.

https://i.postimg.cc/3WMjzkgg/...MG-1588125081781.jpg

Nice gun and Stock!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Tikka T1x so far. My T1x is easily as or more accurate as any 22lr I’ve ever had including match Ruger, Savage Anschutz, Kimber Government match rifles several CZ’s etc. A cheap trigger spring gives them a better trigger than most and they fit in any Tikka T3 stock. Much my favorite accuracy 22 OTB. With a Lilja or equivelant match barrel it might be even better but the factory barrel is quite good. The Tikka T1x is well worth looking at.........

Beat me to it. Im far too invested in the CZ 455/457 line but if the Tikka would have been out when I started I likely would have gone that route.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
My son shot my 455 at the range one day and tried to make it his:

I ended up buying him a 457 Varmint Pro and let him customize the way he wanted it. Hes been dropping about 100 rounds a week since:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/AFoqsgW

My T1x in a Manners Stock.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Nice rig you have there. That suppressor makes me a little jealous. Smile

quote:

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Tikka T1x so far. My T1x is easily as or more accurate as any 22lr I’ve ever had including match Ruger, Savage Anschutz, Kimber Government match rifles several CZ’s etc. A cheap trigger spring gives them a better trigger than most and they fit in any Tikka T3 stock. Much my favorite accuracy 22 OTB. With a Lilja or equivelant match barrel it might be even better but the factory barrel is quite good. The Tikka T1x is well worth looking at.........

Beat me to it. Im far too invested in the CZ 455/457 line but if the Tikka would have been out when I started I likely would have gone that route.

I'm really happy with my T3x, so a T1x may be a good companion. Not sure anyone stocks them locally, so will have to do some looking around.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'm really happy with my T3x, so a T1x may be a good companion. Not sure anyone stocks them locally, so will have to do some looking around.

I bought both of my T1x’s from Eurooptic’s. I HIGHLY recommend them. If they are temporarily out of stock you can get an email notice or even reserve one. FWIW my 17 HMR is wicked accurate too. 1/2 MOA or better at 100yds.........

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Nice rig you have there. That suppressor makes me a little jealous. Smile

quote:

Thanks, I love the way Warpig got his son involved with his CZ. Way to go!

The suppressor is nice. Took me 364days to get it approved! Start now if you want one.

I went with the Vortex Razor II because it was one of the very few higher powered scopes that focus at 50yds. For a 22lr I think that’s an important feature. People scope shopping might want to check their Specs carefully..........dj

posted Hide Post
Jcsabolt2, sounds like you had a great time. Good for you and the boys, I wish anyone would have taken me shooting at that age. In a few years maybe a mark 3 Ruger or a Browning buckmark will show up Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some eye protection on those boys! ( have them get used to it now, every time all the time) if you shoot steel targets at the range or attend any matches it should be mandatory.
People that are not in the habit of wearing it always tend to take it off or push it up onto the forehead when not actually shooting, which is when the greater risk of eye injury is from fragments bouncing off steel.
I have see more people hit in the face as spectators than when firing.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

Honestly no sense in getting a rifle scope combo costing five grand or more to do this unless you get into real serious competition

I and several around me are serious competitors Big Grin We're chasing each other making each other better... having a ton of fun along the way! Very good friend of mine who I've been shooting with for 10yrs sent me this target. He runs two monthly matches I shoot, center fire rifle and 22LR. We've been shooting NRL/PRS style matches waaaay before the matches were categorized as such. Many match directors want to do their own thing as far as COF, not interested in having set NRL stages. They let the competitors dictate stages, keeps everyone coming back. And it passes complaints in good fun to the stage designer. Blame offgrid it's his stage. The electronic target pictured is 60 shots at 50 meters around 3/8", shot at the Olympic center in Colorado Springs. A perfect score of 600 is exceptional, Olympic level shooting. His rifle a Remington 40X/Lilja barrel/Eley Pistol Match ammo. I too have a 40X except with a Mark Chanlynn chambered barrel. Mark chambered Anschutz rifles with his barrels for previous US Olympic teams. I occasionally out shoot my good friend, that's a good day!

Tikka 22lr? I just know of one guy who had one. He's an OK shooter. Over the winter he bought a Vudoo and sold the Tikka. I shot a match with him in February, he and his Vudoo shot better for sure.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
weren't early small bore matches also shot at 200?

FWIW, I had a beater Marlin 39 that would consistently eat up a steel plate at 200, once I learned the hold over (using the irons)

plate was 8.5x11, and it put a nice grouping about the size of a baseball on the bottom corner of the plate,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those Vudoo Gunworks rifles do look really nice!

https://vudoogunworks.com/rifles/ravage/

But for $2500 One would have to be amazed if they didn't shoot better than a $500 off the shelf Tikka! For that matter OF COURSE a hand tuned Anshutz or 40x with a hand lapped custom barrel tuned by an Olympic Gunsmith is going to shoot better than an out of the box rifle. The question is by how much? And is 5x time cost worth an incremental performance improvement?

My experience has been that the people who would be spending multiple thousands of dollars on competition rifles are the ones that KNOW they are worth it and NEED that extra bit of performance.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with less expensive rifles starting with Savage, CZ, Tikka etc. and competing until you KNOW what you really want and NEED.

I wish that everyone could be able to afford and enjoy ultra precision custom rifles and keep skilled gunsmiths prosperous and in business but reality is that not everyone can afford 4K plus on a custom competition rifle.

I'm not trying to criticize Anyone here, I'm just saying that we all have different income and responsibility levels and there are fun rifles in a lot of different price ranges...........dj

posted Hide Post
Honestly after exposure to a bunch of vudoo rifles while shooting nrl22 matches- are they great rifles ? Absolutely- are they so much better to justify a price equal to 12 or 13 of the savage basic mark 2 rifles I current use? Big NO
Yesterday with proper wind read and dial up a 8” plate at 250 yards was easy prey for my savage.
Is a 3k+ vudoo a better rifle - undoubtedly but in the context of the original post- a good precision rifle for youngsters to learn on- a basic savage or Cz is a fine choice, and will do the job without being the equal of 3 mortgage payments

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump for the good info.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://bulletin.accurateshoot...featured-on-podcast/

Some good ammo info, testing, accuracy, cleaning.... His statement regarding the the best 10 shot 100M group will put many internet group claims in check Wink

Myself and many of my fellow competitors are shooting lot tested ammo. The biggest thing I see with lot tested or better ammo is less flyers. Hold better elevation at 100yds and beyond. I know times are tough buying ammo. It is best to try different lots if possible. Also if possible, only test ammo at a indoor range, 100yds ideally. Shoot 3-10 shot or 6-5 shot groups to judge ammo. A single 5 shot groups is not enough to show a flyer(s). I’ve shot some crazy small single 5 shot groups, I know better then to use a single group as a gauge.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Anyone I take up to the gun club always get a big grin when we start "ting'ing" the gong @ 300 yards with my TacSol X-Ring. It's zero'ed at around 35 yards. So you just get used to the hold over over and send it!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just learned one of the Colorado 22 matches has been cancelled, freakin Boulder Mad

https://www.snipershide.com/sh...h-cancelled.6925291/

My favorite centerfire match down in Raton is adding a 22 match the day before. Two days of shooting! Field style match, all prone except one tripod stage. No PMS stuff. Will have an "ELR" stage 200-400yds. 50yd zero I'm 18'ish MILS to 400yds, 2.5 MILS 10mph hold. With a 30 MOA scope base can get 22 mils of elevation out of the scope. Always twitchy winds there, should be fun.

posted Hide Post
I have a couple CZ 452s which are very accurate but picked up a Vudoo earlier this year and can’t praise it enough! For me, the biggest benefit is it’s use in building skills/technique for my centerfire riles. It is SO consistent and accurate that if things are off I know it’s me and not the rifle. As good as the CZs are, they’re not that good. To me, it makes the Vudoo worth the premium.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have an early Vudoo (serial number 09) that sits in a Manners Elite PRS 1 stock and is topped off with a NF 7-35 scope. It's amazingly accurate with SK Rifle Match ammunition. It makes every range trip. I've shot it out to 500 yards on steel. I've read on Vudoo's Instagram page where guys are shooting them much further.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post