SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Precision Long Range .22LR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precision Long Range .22LR Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Took two of my kids (11 & 16) out shooting yesterday sighting in three rifles...got some new glass. Anyway, I setup a 6" steel plate at the base of a tree about 134yds out and my son (age 11) within about 4 shots began ringing it consistently with a stock Ruger 10/22 with Vortex Crosssfire 3-9x32mm scope using CCI 40gr Standard Velocity and CCI 36gr Mini Mag HP. They had to hold way high to hit it and had a blast.

Fortunately, at my parents farm there are two hills with 75-100 feet of elevation and we can see a long way off and I got the idea now of trying to hit some 200-300yds targets, I could go well beyond 1,000yds. My kids are all in, but I started looking up what is out there for long range rimfire rifles such as CZ AT One, Ruger Precision Rimfire and the stupid expensive Vudoo Gun Works V-22. Other than CZ and Ruger, are there any other reasonably prices precision rimfires out there? Curious as to if anyone else has ventured into their territory.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Precision Rimfire. Put way too much scope on it. Fun as hell to shoot.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
American Rifleman had a blurb on one recently from Bergara:
https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/rimfire/b-14r/

Getting some nice reviews so far............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be really thinking hard about .17 caliber over .22 LR for what you want to do.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would encourage you to look into nrl22 matches. All inside 100 yards but most clubs have bonus stages to 200+ yards. 22LR is fine ( quality standard velocity ammo from SK lapua or Eley really helps compared to CCI) and with learning dope ( data on previous engagement) and practice dialing and hitting steel at 200-300+ yards is fun and rewarding. A scope designed for target work like Athlon vortex or more expensive stuff like nightforce with a zero stop and lots of elevation ( most people use mils as opposed to moa for such application) in the first focalplane
Is an immense advantage. My nrl 22 rifle is a savage mark II and with the Athlon scope I use ( the mid level quality around 300 bucks) my entire rig ( scope bipod rifle mags rings etc) cost me less than 700 dollars. If I do my part dialing up from my established 50 yard zero will get me consistent hits at 300.
You do not have to spend vudoo money to shoot well and have fun.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind the scope is far more critical than the rifle you put it on, and the most important accessory is a notebook to keep track of adjustments and dope

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Took two of my kids (11 & 16) out shooting yesterday sighting in three rifles...got some new glass. Anyway, I setup a 6" steel plate at the base of a tree about 134yds out and my son (age 11) within about 4 shots began ringing it consistently with a stock Ruger 10/22 with Vortex Crosssfire 3-9x32mm scope using CCI 40gr Standard Velocity and CCI 36gr Mini Mag HP. They had to hold way high to hit it and had a blast.

There are definitely rifle options -- some at reasonable prices, others not so much.

Bolt actions will give you more options. However, the higher end custom semi-autos based on a 10/22 are quite accurate -- but at a cost. I have a Kimber sporter that is very accurate, but it's not cheap. For sporter-type rifles, my Kimber is in the league of Anschutz. I'm part way through a custom Remington 40-x build that will be just as expensive as a Vudoo. The Remy 40-x repeaters are some of the most accurate 22 rifles out there. Backing off in accuracy a little bit, I have a JP 22lr upper that will hang with the best of the semi auto 22s.

As distances increase, quality 22lr ammo becomes ever more important. Your CCI Standard has too much variation in velocity to be useful beyond 150 yards, regardless of rifle. For 150-250 yards expect to move up to Eley, RWS, Wolf, Lapua ammo. Cost per round will increase noticeably.

Optics are important as distances increase. You don't need an uber expensive scope, but it must have clear glass and be able to dial a boat load of elevation. Hold over reticles are out. First focal plane is virtually mandatory. Mil or MOA is your choice. Some form of zero stop is virtually mandatory. To be accurate at distance, you will need access to some form of chronograph, and you use some form of dope table for elevation and wind holds.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A couple of you have mentioned that scopes need to have first focal plane reticles and zero stops. I’m guessing that you’re thinking of some sort of activity beyond plinking at 200-300 yard targets in someone’s pasture.

In what sort of 22 LR competition(?) would those types of scopes be necessary or at least desirable?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
With subsconic target ammo you'll need about 26 MOA elevation at 200 yards, which is about 90% of your average scope's elevation adjustment. Nightforce makes their NXS™ 5.5-22×50 with an advertised 100 MOA of adjustment, but at $1,800 I's save some money and go with a 20 MOA base. YMMV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I own a Kidd Supergrade complete, had Tony Kidd build it maybe 7-9 years ago. Got one for my son also. Excellent rifle, extremely accurate, IMO rivals my sons Anschutz bolt action. But was very pricey. If I was in the market for a high grade 10/22 today, I would look at Ruger's Competition 10/22.

Has a fluted bull barrel, CNC-machined receiver, BX trigger set, 30MOA rail, dual bedding system, etc. On paper, a nice idea of a 10/22 for $899, far less than a Kidd or Volquartsen rifle.

https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/31127.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A couple of you have mentioned that scopes need to have first focal plane reticles and zero stops. I’m guessing that you’re thinking of some sort of activity beyond plinking at 200-300 yard targets in someone’s pasture.

In what sort of 22 LR competition(?) would those types of scopes be necessary or at least desirable?

I have used my 22lr rifles for plinking in pastures way more than in formal competition. Maybe close to 1,000 rounds in competition. At least 15,000 rounds in pastures -- on paper, steel, and other reactive targets.

Both my Kimber bolt action and JP upper have NF F1 4-14x SHV scopes. The glass is bright & clear, the MOA reticle works for me, clicks are crisp & distinct. The biggest drawback to this scope is 10 MOA per rotation of the elevation turret. At my pasture's altitude, it takes 25 MOA of elevation for Lapua Center-X at 200 yards. Zero stop is mandatory, so that I don't lose my zero at 50 yards. FFP reticle is mandatory, for accurate wind holds. Wind tosses a 22lr bullet around like a ping pong ball.

When I get serious with the Remy 40X conversion, it will almost certainly sport a NF ATACR 7-35x.

Another mandatory scope requirement for precision shooting with a 22lr is a variable and close-focusing parallax. The minimum parallax distance is 50 yards, which is likely the best distance to zero a 22lr rifle. Minimum parallax of 25-30 yards is better, and anything less than that is just a bonus.

Some 22lr competitions are essentially short-distance PRS matches. They can be mixtures of target types and distances. There may be positional shooting. Some targets may be from prone. There may be movement between shooting positions. Time constraints for some stages may be really tight.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Zero stop is mandatory, so that I don't lose my zero at 50 yards. FFP reticle is mandatory, for accurate wind holds.

Makes sense; thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried to 'out 22' several of my club elders who are fanatics about shooting .22's at distance. Of course back when we could actually go to the range and shoot. I've got a very high end anschutz, NF optic, lapua ammo the gun likes, etc, etc. And every time I get whooped by a bunch of 70-80 yo guys with a guns from last century. It has convinced me that launching .22lr rounds at a distance is really not about the equipment. Get a decent bolt action, learn the ammo it likes, buy as much scope as you can afford, and have fun. YMMV>...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The Vudoo is relatively expensive but 3/4” group at 200 yards makes it priceless.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This thread makes me want to do up a budget-friendly 'precision' 22lr bolt gun.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting 22LR steel matches for several years, max distance 250yds. Targets range from 1/2 MOA to 4 MOA depending on distance and shooting position. The rifles that consistently win are Anschutz's, Remington 40X's with aftermarket barrels, Vudoo's with various barrels. All shooting good ammo, Lapua Center-X/Midas, Eley Match/Edge, SK Long Range.... Next rifle the CZ's with Lilja barrels, then CZ's with stock barrels, then everything else including semis. A semi has never won a match I've shot. There's a reason all the matches I shoot have bolt rifle and semi classes! Few other rifles do OK, Kimber, Winchester... just not common enough to get performance feedback. At least three guys around are in the process of building a rifle on the new RimX action with Bartlien and Benchmark barrels. Two of RimX builds SF member jelrod1 is chambering. Look forward to seeing how that action shoots. Best bang for the buck are the CZ's. Lilja barrels take the CZ to a different level for sure, know some who have done that. If not opposed to buying used, pick up a used CZ and replace the barrel with a Lilja and put it in an adjustable stock/chassis.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a 455 Lux and was wondering if the Lilja was worth it over a Bertlein or Lothar Walther? I guess that answers that question.

quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Best bang for the buck are the CZ's. Lilja barrels take the CZ to a different level for sure, know some who have done that. If not opposed to buying used, pick up a used CZ and replace the barrel with a Lilja and put it in an adjustable stock/chassis.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned above despite its price point, the savage mark 2 punches way above its class regarding accuracy. Some of our 50 yard targets at nrl22 matches are 1/2” at 50 yards and 3” and less at 100. The rifle is easily capable of consistent hits on these. When we do longer ranges like 300+ yards on bonus stages, they are usually 12” steel plates. When you properly adjust dope and account for wind ( an art form in itself which honestly I am terrible at) consistent hits with a $250 rifle and 300 dollar scope are very doable
Is consistent accuracy and performance easier with a vudoo anschutz or,other high end rifle? Yes of course, but as an entry level gun the savages are fine.
The scope I use is an Athlon Argos btr 6-24x50 about 300 bucks ordered off Walmart on line. Entirely adequate.
Honestly no sense in getting a rifle scope combo costing five grand or more to do this unless you get into real serious competition or just have money to burn.
In rimfire as others have mentioned high quality ammo is critical. Totally forget anything high velocity. Standard velocity match ammo from Eley Lapua or SK makes a huge difference. And while it might be counterintuitive standard velocity ammo produces less wind drift at long range than high velocity ammo.

posted Hide Post
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Tikka T1x so far. My T1x is easily as or more accurate as any 22lr I’ve ever had including match Ruger, Savage Anschutz, Kimber Government match rifles several CZ’s etc. A cheap trigger spring gives them a better trigger than most and they fit in any Tikka T3 stock. Much my favorite accuracy 22 OTB. With a Lilja or equivelant match barrel it might be even better but the factory barrel is quite good. The Tikka T1x is well worth looking at.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I was torn between the Tikka T1x and a Cz 457 varmint. I ended up with the Cz. I added a KRG bravo chassis and a Athlon Argos 6-24 scope. I successfully used it at 300 yards yesterday in some pretty sporting winds.

https://i.postimg.cc/3WMjzkgg/...MG-1588125081781.jpg

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post