SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Should I switch SCAR 17 to AR-10/SR25 magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I switch SCAR 17 to AR-10/SR25 magazines Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
I have a SCAR 17 and have decided to become 100% 7.62 x 51 conversion for rifles due to WA gun law insanity. I have two sons and want them both to have a semi auto rifle. I don't have the ready cash to do a second SCAR right now but have the ready cash to do an .308 AR (at least the lower which satisfies my stupid state's gun laws). I also live right next to Handl Defense which does a conversion for SCAR 17s to take the AR10/SR25 pattern magazines.

SO:

I've been thinking about getting a Handl lower for my SCAR that would allow for magazine compatibility between my rifles. Does anyone who has a SCAR 17 like/love/regret the decision to go with the adaptation to AR10 mags?

Thoughts?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I regret trying to do business with Handl in the past.
Does that count?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s the Handl lower cost v.s. how many SCAR 17 factory mags, that are KNOWN to work, can you buy for that cost? In addition to the cost of the lower, you have to transfer all of the lower parts over from the factory lower, unless you pay more to get a Handl with a full set of internals. Just doesn’t make economic sense to me.

The concept of SR-25 mag lowers started, and took off, in the early days when factory Scar 17 mags were scarce and at least $75 a pop when you could find them. Now, they are easy to find for $40 each, or lower. What benefit are you looking to get using a Handl lower instead of the factory SCAR lower?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
The only benefit is not having two different sets of magazines (i.e. rifle compatibility) and (and this is WA specific) not having to deal with waiting until I can afford a SCAR and having to comply with I-1639 and all its fu'd upedness.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I regret trying to do business with Handl in the past.
Does that count?

I know there are issues with Handl as a business entity. What I'm trying to figure out is whether the lower (and it doesn't have to be Handl, they just happen to be up the road from me) allowing SCAR/AR magazine compatibility is something others appreciate or regret.

posted Hide Post
I've looked at it several times as I have a decent stockpile of AR10 mags and each time I concluded it was just not worth it. I don't know the Handl pricing but I was looking at a different one and by the time you get done with getting it operational (lower plus internals) you could have bought a serious amount of SCAR mags.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've looked at it several times as I have a decent stockpile of AR10 mags and each time I concluded it was just not worth it. I don't know the Handl pricing but I was looking at a different one and by the time you get done with getting it operational (lower plus internals) you could have bought a serious amount of SCAR mags.

I want to be clear, its not a cost issue for the mags. In WA we will be greatly restricted as all semi-auto rifles are now "assault rifles". So I have a narrow window to get an "assault rifle" in before the asshats take control. I can't get a SCAR (or honestly any other complete .308 battle rifle) BUT I can get a .308 AR lower.

SO two different sets of mags for all the evil assault rifles I intend to own (not including 10/22s which are also evil assault rifles but a separate topic) or one mag set for both with an eventual "defiling" of my SCAR to take AR mags?

posted Hide Post
With the availability of cheap SCAR17 magazines I don't see the benefit of converting to a AR10 lower. There are several manufacturers that produce inexpensive AR10's priced right at $1000+/- a hundred bucks. I'd invest in a complete rifle before I screwed around with any lower receiver conversions.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are trying to do. You say you already have a SCAR, but don’t have time to get a second one. What would the purpose of buying a .308 AR lower be, then? Assuming you intend to just buy the lower and build a complete gun later, but what are you planning to build, and how does it relate to the SCAR you have?

Do you have SCAR mags already?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It all depends how many magazines you want to buy.

If you are buying a shit pot of mags, an AR magazine SCAR lower (Handle or Stryker Enterprises) can be viable.

It may be a better option to sell the SCAR 17 and use all the money to get two good AR10 and mags if that is a concern (redundancy, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Not sure what you are trying to do. You say you already have a SCAR, but don’t have time to get a second one. What would the purpose of buying a .308 AR lower be, then? Assuming you intend to just buy the lower and build a complete gun later, but what are you planning to build, and how does it relate to the SCAR you have?

Do you have SCAR mags already?

He's investigating his best options for mag compatibility with other potential rifles since we're about to get razor-dildoed. Pretty cut and dried, imo. Lowsmith, myself and others have until July 1st to buy anything fun. Since I want a SCAR and mag compatibility, I'm looking at a 16S instead of a 17S since one pool of mags will feed all my fun stuff. He's looking to do the same in .308.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
So, in your instance I can see that being attractive in the future, assuming I understand this right. You have one scar and can secure another 308 by getting an AR lower. So later down the line you can opt to change the scar lower and have mag compatibility. Even in this scenario, I'd go ahead and get the lower regardless and it still might not be worth it to change the scar but to buy more scar mags.

But, I don't think changing the scar to take AR mags takes away from it in any way that I'm aware of. I've heard argued by Chris Bartocci it's a huge improvement cause 1. It reduces harmonics on the receiver that chews optics, 2 AR mags are much tougher than scar mags. Im not sure I buy either of those and mine is fine, but even assuming each option is equal, you gain if mag compatibility is your goal and cost doesn't factor. If cost is a factor you have to get your break even point after however many mags.

Small arms solutions on YouTube is where the 17S video is.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also note that the SCAR lower isn't a firearm, the upper is (unlike the AR-10/15).

So even with firearm legislation, you could likely buy one later.

posted Hide Post
Break even point is 20 magazines.

20 FN SCAR Mags = $800 ($40/ea)

1 AR compatible lower ($400) plus 20 AR10 PMAGs @$20/ea ($400) = $800

ETA - The assumption is you completely strip your OEM FN SCAR 17 lower for parts needed in the aftermarket lower, yes.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I fully follow the above math. Assuming you don't strip your original FN lower for parts the price of a Pmag compatible lower is nearly $1000 (the $400 lower plus the FN parts to make it work). Or at least that's the rough price from Stryker when I checked.
In any case in this discussion given the law change I would spend every dime to get actual firearms (like lowers) versus accessory parts which are unlikely to be controlled.

posted Hide Post
The assumption is you completely strip your OEM lower for parts into the aftermarket, yes.

posted Hide Post
Me personally I'd never make a working lower INOP. Especially to rely on a 3rd party product of some potential problems. But others can choose differently.

posted Hide Post
I'd get as many SCAR mags as I could along with the AR10 lower and as many AR10 mags as I could. Put the SCAR lower $ towards more magazines for either type which will be like gold in a ban environment.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Mags aren’t banned. Yet.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Me personally I'd never make a working lower INOP. Especially to rely on a 3rd party product of some potential problems. But others can choose differently.
Yeah, not the preferred method but if someone was going all in on AR10 mags and only had 1 FN mag, it could make sense to transfer parts.

Personally I just bought FN OEM SCAR 17 mags. Wink