SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Smoke pole range time with my boys.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke pole range time with my boys. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
With the price of ammo (when you can find it), my boys and I have moved to almost exclusively shooting black powder rifles and pistols. The rifle is a 50 caliber T/C Hawken I made from a kit I got from Fox Ridge Outfitters about 20 years ago. The pistol is a 45 caliber CVA Colonial I made from a kit I got about 40 years ago when I was a kid.

I typically shoot the Hawken with 80 grains of powder over a patch and ball. I’m more conservative with the pistol and only shoot 20 grains of powder over a patch and ball. Typically, I use FFG or the equivalent for both. I do have some FFFG for the pistol but it shoots well with the FFG. Both are equally reliable with #11 caps although I have a fair amount of #11 magnum caps for the rifle for hunting or situation shoots at the local rendezvous.

The rifle is very accurate. The pistol - well I have to admit I drilled the front sight hole slightly off center years ago so the sights are off a bit. Nevertheless, it is minute of bad guy at about 7 yards. Which is probably good for such a short barreled pistol. If anyone has an extra barrel for the pistol for sale (Ebay prices are way to rich for me) let me know. Anyway, we had another great time at the range yesterday. Now, if I could only get my daughters to go.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I Like It! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8878 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a second there, I thought you had taken a piano to the range Big Grin

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Well, we did play a little Country Western music while shooting.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Black powder is a ton of fun. I never thought I wanted a bp muzzleloader until I shot one. Now I have 7. The TC Hawken is fantastic looking and incredibly accurate. Too bad they stopped making them after S&W took over.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I read today S&W is selling Thompson. Hopefully the new owner won't be an investment bank and will start production of the Hawken again.