SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Custom wood gun stock recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom wood gun stock recommendations Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted
I have a little Spanish SxS that I got for college graduation that I thought about getting some work done to. I might also be willing to just buy new stocks altogether, but I think it will cost too much for a gun that's main value is sentimental.

Anyone have recommendations for this kind of work? Would be great if they were local to me but I haven't found anyone yet and I'd be willing to ship it off.

Basically, I like the walnut in this gun but the checkering is pressed, the finish is high gloss, and the grip is kinda clunky. Ideally, I'd have it refinished to an oil satin finish, the checkering steamed out and then hand cut, and then have the pistol grip cut down to a straight English style. Getting rid of the gun and buying something else is not an option.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
The general consensus with pressed in checkering is to just cut it by hand along the pressed in lines. Steaming out pressed in checkering, especially on the fore end, could potentially raise the grain unevenly unevenly.

Have you thought about doing the work yourself? You can achieve a decent satin finish by hand rubbing tung oil, and the stripping process is very simple. Purchase a bottle of citri-strip from the Home Depot, apply it, scrape it off with a credit card, and wash it with warm water. I've refinished an M1A and a Garand, and the process was pretty simple, just a little time consuming, and both rifles look great.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had a talented local Gunsmith expand checkering by a few lines and recut it all. He also added a nicely fitted Pachmyar Old English style recoil pad. TOTALLY transformed the gun.

I'd say your on the right track.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm a little apprehensive about trying a refinish myself but I absolutely will not try cutting a pistol grip stock down to English myself.

Maybe I'll go get a few walnut scraps and practice.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post