SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tip of the hat to Jonathon Elrod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tip of the hat to Jonathon Elrod Login/Join 
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted
I wasn't sure whether to write this tongue in cheek like I wanted to or sincerely. Since sarcasm does not travel well on the internet, this is 100% sincere.

I got the bug for a nice rifle about 2 years ago. Some of you may know I shoot shotguns a lot. Anyway, I bought a Rem 700 and it shot OK, I was not happy. Kept reading, learning, wishing etc.

Then I stumbled on the thread about Long Range Rifles. The hook was set. I saw a rifle jelrod1 made and I was ready. I sent him a email and we began the discussion. We talked actions, barrels, calibers etc. He suggested 6.5X47Lapua and told me "Get your stock ordered". What a strange statement, barrel, trigger and action is more important, right?

He had the barrel, trigger and action in about a month, and I waited 5 more months for a company to deliver the stock. Elrod was patient the entire time.

I got the rifle about 2 weeks ago and it is SWEET. Shot it today, started with Varget light loads and did some barrel break in. First 100 yard group measured 3/4", next powder charge (up 0.5gr) measured 7/16". Wow, this thing can really shoot! I must insert here that I am not a real good rifle shooter, but I want to get better.

I called him and left a message, he calls back and says those powder weights are not "the good ones, work up to 37.0 and those should work better". I am pumped and cannot wait to load more and shoot this thing more.

I learned a lot from jelrod and think he is a credit to our community. He steered me right, did not charge me an arm and a leg for his precision services and provided a rifle that can shoot no telling how well!

Thanks Jonathon!!!

heathtx

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! Ya, jelrod is a great guy to deal with.

Suggest to load 36.8, 37.0, 37.2 Varget, .010 jump, CCI450's.

Have fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jonathan Elrod did a rifle for my kid recently. He was exceptional to deal with in this build. His knowledge base and skills turned out a great finished product. If anyone is looking for a custom build, I would highly recommend talking to him for guidance and construction of the final product.
The boy (and wife) have shot very well with the rifle.

Not too bad for an 11 year old at 100 yards. Looking forward to building his skills and getting out to further targets.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice.
jelrod does good work

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post