SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for a SPR Build...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a SPR Build... Login/Join 
posted
2 years ago I built and gave my brother a rifle for Father’s Day. It was an AR-15 with parts from respectable manufacturers and is a 1-1.5 MOA gun. I also provided mags, light, red dot, sling and 500 rounds of ammo.

It was both a gift AND a nudge that he needed to have a rifle and become proficient in its use (as every American should).

Late last year my brother asked me to source and help him build a SPR/DMR type rifle. He has found he really enjoys shooting groups in addition to defensive type shooting. He would like the SPR/DMR rifle to use the same ammo type, mags and have the same manual of arms as the other rifle I gave him.

As I always do whenever I build or am asked to help someone build a rifle, I also build an exact copy for myself (for the memories and the fun of it). For that reason, I want to make sure it is a shooter (ringing steel at 600, maybe 700 yards???).

We are almost ready to select and purchase the BCG and barrel.

I would like for some recommendations from those here that are knowledgeable in such things.

This is what we are going for:

1 MOA or better.
18” length minimum, 20” max
Rifle length gas system
Wylde or other accuracy based chamber (Noveske modified chamber?)
1:7 twist (77 grain would be our max bullet weight)
Threaded barrel
Matched/head spaced bolt if possible

These are the components we have so far:

Matched MEGA billet upper & lower
Geissele SSA-E trigger
White Oak Armament lower parts kit
Colt forward assist
Colt rifle length buffer kit
Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock
Magpul MOE+ grip
Strike Industries Polymer dust cover (looks better on the billet upper)
BCM Gunfighter charging handle, large latch

What we still need:

Barrel
BCG
Handguards (probably going with a Geissele hand guard)
Optic (variable power, midrange scope)
Optic mount (Larue or ADM)
Bipod (Atlas?)
Muzzle device (probably an AAC break as I have two M4-2000 and one 762SDN silencers)

So far we have spent very little money considering what we have. We have purchased all components on sale taking advantage of the various holiday sales that occur throughout the year. We are trying to take advantage of the 4th of July sales for the barrel and BGC, but because these components “are the gun”, I don’t mind if we cannot get them on sale.

So, what does the Forum recommend?

Thanks all… I appreciate it.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Mega makes an SPR barrel that's got an MOA guarantee, as does Ballistic Advantage. Before either was widely available, I chose a Seekins for my budget SPR build. BCG is a NiB budget one from AIM Surplus (lots of issues on this because it was improperly staked but all is well now so always check the staking job before swapping out parts when your rifle doesn't cycle...this was my first AR build so lesson learned).

With a budget Primary Arms ACSS 14x scope, ringing small 10" plates at 400yards with 77gr OTM match from CBC is so easy as to not be a challenge.

Just had an AeroPrecision M-LOK rail coated to match and swapped it over....guess I need to compare weights on it but it seems lighter for sure

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks PGT... Nice looking rifle.

Forgot to add, we would prefer a pinned gas block or a manufacturer dimpled barrel/gas block combo.

I am not so much worried about an adjustable gas block, but I wouldn't mind it either. My preference is a Noveske style switchblock. I have one on one of my SBRs and love it when running suppressed.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
White oak armament sells SPR and SDM barrels with mid or rifle length gas systems. They have a good reputation but are not cheap.
If nothing else its worth looking at their site to see what is out there.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My Seekins barrel is dimpled. I had a Seekins adjustable block on it that I removed after I stripped the adjuster screw trying to get it to run properly. Turns out it was the improperly staked gas key on the BCG.

I didn't like the Seekins block because the adjustments were on the back, not the front meaning the rail had to come off to adjust. I think Seekins has since redesigned it....sort of want to roll back to an adjustable block so might look for one again.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Thanks PGT... Nice looking rifle.

Forgot to add, we would prefer a pinned gas block or a manufacturer dimpled barrel/gas block combo.

I am not so much worried about an adjustable gas block, but I wouldn't mind it either. My preference is a Noveske style switchblock. I have one on one of my SBRs and love it when running suppressed.

Ballistic advantage has the pinned gas block.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with XL_Target on this one. My WOA 18" SPR barrel is fantastic and has yet to disappoint. They are a little pricey but heckuva lot cheaper than a Douglas.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit of a Faxon fan boy. I really like their barrels. They just announced their match barrels as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
JP barrels are always accurate.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I'm currently working on a MK12 Mod 1 clone. Getting centurion arms MK12 barrel.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the Bolt Carrier Group - Sionics (with NP3).
http://sionicsweaponsystems.co...olt-and-cam-pin.html

Robar's NP3 has been around for a long time and is a proven product.
You can literally clean the bcg with a paper towel.

Sionics also has a new stainless SPR barrel in .223 Wylde.
http://sionicsweaponsystems.co...ofile-gas-block.html

Let us know what you decide and of course pics are mandatory.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
I'm currently working on a MK12 Mod 1 clone. Getting centurion arms MK12 barrel.

The ultimate SPR barrel.
https://www.centurionarms.com/...-p/mk12-pn-mk12b.htm

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a Compass Lake Engineering barrel on my Mk 12 type build. Various manufacturers barrels are available Also purchased a head spaced bolt and gas block from them. Take a look. I have been very happy with their products,service and advice.

http://www.compasslake.com/

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
You're going to try an AR semi-auto pushing a .223 round out to 600-700 yards for groups? Hope the wind isn't blowing. That sounds like a long way for that round out of a semi. This should be interesting, be sure and post pictures of your results.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
You're going to try an AR semi-auto pushing a .223 round out to 600-700 yards for groups? Hope the wind isn't blowing. That sounds like a long way for that round out of a semi. This should be interesting, be sure and post pictures of your results.

I shoot 500 yards with a 16" 5.56 with 55gr bullets. And a 1-5x scope.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All... Thank you. Sorry for my absence. Work jumped up and bit me in the ass.

I will start looking at all of the recommendations.

As far as price goes, we really don't care about the price, but we don't want to throw away money. I am willing to go $400 - $500 on the barrel if it is worthy of that price and has a solid reputation of actually delivering. If $300 - $400 will get me all the accuracy an AR can really deliver, then I am cool with that too.

jbcummings... we will not be shooting for groups at 600. We just want to see if we can hit an 18 X 24 steel plate. My brother will probably shoot groups between 100 and 400 yards (maybe 500) while practicing his fundamentals and really learning how to shoot again (trigger control, breathing, etc.), but still having a gun that can rock & roll.

I have looked at the White Oak, Noveske and Ranier Arms barrels. Some of these others are completely new to me (the entire mid-range accuracy game in 5.56 is new to me).

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
Okay... Dumb question.

What kind of chamber do I want? I want accuracy, but I want reliability too. I want this thing to run if this is the gun my brother grabs in the middle of the night and he needs to do a mag dump in the direction of some trouble makers.

Wylde, Noveske Match, something else???

The "Boz"

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Wylde would be my choice.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

I shoot 500 yards with a 16" 5.56 with 55gr bullets. And a 1-5x scope.

Ringing steel at these distances is doable. Challenging in windy conditions, of course. Higher density altitudes, a good rifle, and quality ammo all help.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
What kind of chamber do I want? I want accuracy, but I want reliability too.

I have a rifle with a match 223 chamber that is both very accurate and totally reliable.

If you're looking for accuracy at distance, I recommend a quality 223 chamber and 223 match ammo. Wylde and 5.56 chambers can also produce good accuracy, but likely not to the level of a good 223 match chamber. Furthermore, if you're shooting factory ammo, it's really tough to find 5.56 ammo that equals 223 ammo in accuracy. Even in my 5.56 chamber ARs, factory match 223 ammo is more accurate than its counterpart factory match 5.56 ammo.

There are a number of quality 18-20" barrels out there. You'll be hard pressed to find anything better than a Krieger -- maybe only Compass Lake, White Oak, and a few smaller 'smiths who cater to AR-15 service rifle competitors. Barrels on the short list should include JP, Wilson Combat, LaRue, Noveske, Shilen, Criterion. Look at a stainless barrel with a twist rate from 1/7 to 1/8. Ixnay on a chrome lined barrel.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post