SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Paracord trigger job for AR, have you tried this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paracord trigger job for AR, have you tried this? Login/Join 
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted
Saw a post on this technique for improving the trigger on an AR rifle on another forum a few months ago. I have since performed this procedure on all my ARs that have mil-spec triggers. I'm very pleased with the result especially for ZERO cost.

The link to the YouTube video is below, or just go to YouTube and search for "paracord trigger job". Not my video, BTW.

Paracord trigger job

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Ha! THAT was quick!

I was still messing around getting the link fixed. Thanks!

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That will smooth out the trigger pull but it won't do anything to fix the take up or overtravel inherent to the GI trigger.

It is an improvement. But it won't make a really good trigger. It is a variation on the pull the trigger 500 times method.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Completely agree. What it does do is get rid of the grittiness while taking up the trigger. And it's that grittiness that's my biggest complaint when shooting an AR with a GI trigger.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
People have been doing that to revolvers forever. Not a fan of that either.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the animation and the links to the 3D model. The presenter seems to be an intelligent and articulate fellow. I personally prefer the wear in method instead of the "artificially induce wear" method the presenter demonstrates as I'm unsure what second and third order impacts the whole "wrap parachord around your hammer and impart a lot more force on the part in a direction that its not accustom to in normal operation. Definitely less dangerous then some of the other methods out there though.

I'm also skeptical of "tricks taught by Army Buddies". After watching one of said tricks resulting in the accidental discharge of a belt fed automatic weapon (with full belt) in a LSA.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Cycled mine 100 times to get the improvement I referred to. MUCH preferable to burning up 500 rounds with what I found to be a pretty awful trigger.

Wink

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A light grease like TW25b or a moly paste applied to the hammer/trigger interface will do the same thing.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
Cycled mine 100 times to get the improvement I referred to. MUCH preferable to burning up 500 rounds with what I found to be a pretty awful trigger.

Another option is dry firing, which doesn't consume any ammo at all. Of course, only dry fire an AR with the upper installed. For people wanting to develop precision shooting technique, dry firing allows us to become familiar with the AR trigger and to learn to break the shot without disturbing the sight picture.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used that on all of my ARs that have a stock military trigger and it has worked very well. I am pleased with the results.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Dremel and polish. Use polishing wheels and tips with some metal polish. Polish till the grease line is gon on the flat. It will look like a mirror. Then polish the sear. Breaks like glass of iTunes no grit.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No not yet.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
People have been doing that to revolvers forever. Not a fan of that either.

I'd be leery of doing this with a revolver as well.

First of all the single-action trigger on any quality revolver is light years better than the standard trigger on an AR15, so it's not necessary.
Secondly replacing trigger parts on an AR is simple and cheap while replacing trigger parts on a revolver is anything but.