SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 armorers course
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 armorers course Login/Join 
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted
I’m looking for an armorers course for the AR platform somewhere in the southeast. Most of the ones I’ve found have been mid-west to the western part of the US. If you know of any good ones available for late summer or fall, please point me in their direction.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a damn shame you missed Will Larsons classes. Are you looking for something to be able to work on rifles well or are you looking to get into modifying the system with short barrels suppressors and such?

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I need the certification for work. Mainly just working on minor issues, anything major would likely get sent back to the manufacturer. We do use suppressors on some of the guns, so a class that deals with such and the related gas issues would be great.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Phred try calling the manufacturers..when my PD had me get “certified” to be an armorer, I attended a two day class put on by Armalite. I had to drive to Raleigh and sit with a buncha troopers.

The fact that I had an armorers qualification from when I was in the service didn’t matter, the PD wanted a cert from a company.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Phred try calling the manufacturers..when my PD had me get “certified” to be an armorer, I attended a two day class put on by Armalite. I had to drive to Raleigh and sit with a buncha troopers.

This.

I went through Colt's LE armorer cert classes for M16/M4s and 1911s whenever a local or reasonably close PD was hosting a remote course.

Colt would post Armorer class dates/locations on their web site, though I haven't looked in a while to see if they still do or not.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the SLR AR Armorer class but have no first hand knowledge.

My first course was Ken Elmore/Specialized Armament course. It was not easy but I learned alot. He is very Colt-centric. His advanced course deals with Sbrs and cans.

I will point out that in my experience manufacturers courses are generally designed to be no-fail. The fuddiest of FUDDs could show up and get a cert. The private sector instructors seem to have a higher standard atleast from what I've seen. YMMV.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's one on July 16 and 17

Moyock NC

Posts: 28 | Location: east central FL | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montgomery Community College, NC is one of four schools in the nation to offer NRA approved, affiliated short-term gunsmithing courses.

https://www.montgomery.edu/pro...classes-for-fun/nra/

AR-15 Armorers Course | 10/3-10/4 | SASU | 9A-6P | $205

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to Greg Sullivan's class. Likely the "SLR" mentioned above. I found it to be a good, thorough class taught by an instructor who knows the material intuitively. I have never seen such a collection of hands-on broken stuff. I enjoyed the class thoroughly and have also attended his 1911 course.

Here is a link:
https://www.thedefensiveedge.c...308armorercourse.htm

Looks like he's in Alabama in July.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtnbikerfred
posted Hide Post
This guy is in MD. I really like the way he teaches.

https://www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com/

Posts: 221 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I've been to Greg Sullivan's class. Likely the "SLR" mentioned above. I found it to be a good, thorough class taught by an instructor who knows the material intuitively. I have never seen such a collection of hands-on broken stuff. I enjoyed the class thoroughly and have also attended his 1911 course.

Here is a link:
https://www.thedefensiveedge.c...308armorercourse.htm

Looks like he's in Alabama in July.

Sully also posts class AARs on several sites, which include his lesson plan. He also answers questions from Non-students.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Central Kentucky
https://doublestarusa.com/training.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post