SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for an original bayonet for my M1 Garand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an original bayonet for my M1 Garand Login/Join 
A man of few words
posted
I have a 1955 HRA that I picked up from the CMP South store close to 15 years ago. I'd like a bayonet to go with it. I'd prefer an original over a reproduction, but I'm not 100% sure which one would be right for that time period. I believe that I need the 10" version. Is that correct? Does anyone know of a reputable source?

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For a Garand that saw use from 1955 and onward, you have two options for a "correct" bayonet.

The 10" M1 bayonet from WW2 would still have been in use at that time.

But the shorter M5 bayonet was adopted in 1953, and would be the most correct for a 1955 HRA. (These are also cheaper and easier to acquire than a M1 bayonet.)

$37 here, with a M8 scabbard: https://www.sarcoinc.com/m5a1-...-with-m8a1-scabbard/

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Rogue! I've got one on the way.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue! I've been looking for a decent deal on an M1 bayonet for a while. Just ordered one from Sarco.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the CMP still sells original M1 bayonets. Not sure if you get them mail order or in the stores only

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I believe the CMP still sells original M1 bayonets. Not sure if you get them mail order or in the stores only

The only bayonet I could find in the E-store is the M7, which fits the M16. Also, the CMP is horribly backlogged right now. I have two orders in with them at the moment, one for a book (placed through the online store), and another for a Service Grade M1. Not a peep on either . The book order has been "Processing" since Feb 3, and from what I've seen on the CMP forum they are just now processing orders for rifles placed in mid-November...shipping orders placed in early October.

Not the end of the world provided they still have some when they get to my order...I can wait. But the Sarco price isn't bad, and maybe they will ship faster.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Northridge also carries originals

https://www.northridgeinc.com/category-s/192.htm

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
M5A1 Bayonet showed up from Sarco today. The one I got appears to be US Made by Milpar. It's a little beat, dull as heck, and the guard was a really sloppy fit. The scabbard appears to be Korean surplus, not USGI, but it's serviceable.

I squeezed an appropriately-sized nitrile O-ring between the grips and the guard to get rid of the sloppy play that was there, and it's much better now. I spent about 2 hours with my Lansky stones trying to sharpen it up...it's better, but still needs some work. For what it is, I'm happy.

My wife came home from picking up the younger kids from a birthday party tonight and my oldest and I were in the living room watching this scene from Gettysburg. She just shook her head and walked back out of the room Big Grin.

A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
M5A1 Bayonet showed up from Sarco today. The one I got appears to be US Made by Milpar. It's a little beat, dull as heck, and the guard was a really sloppy fit. The scabbard appears to be Korean surplus, not USGI, but it's serviceable.

I got mine yesterday too. It's dead identical in condition to what you describe. I'll try to tighten the guard with an O-ring as well.

For the price I'm VERY happy. I was looking at repros before that cost more than these. Thanks again for the link Rogue.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Are they marked, Made in USA?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Are they marked, Made in USA?

No, but it's marked "US M5A1 MILPAR COL" on the guard.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I ordered the SARCO 16" 1905 bayonet repro.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed that the reproduction bayonet you ordered will be made in USA? You can go ahead and uncross them, because there's not a chance. The repro M1905 bayonets available on the market today (from Sarco and elsewhere) are Made in China. There are no US-made repro M1905s, and you're not going to accidentally get a real M1905 from Sarco.

The M5 bayonets that 92fstech and others ordered are actual surplus USGI bayonets, not reproductions.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Sent a email to Sarco stating that if the bayonet is marked Made in China to cancel the order.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Nice Garand

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post