SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help with .300 Win Mag rifle and scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with .300 Win Mag rifle and scope Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted
Trying to decide between a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .300 Win Mag. Is either rifle better than the other?

Also looking for a scope, preferably around $300. Any suggestions? The Savage comes with a Nikon 3-9x40mm, but I have no idea if this is a decent scope.

Thanks in advance!

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We're being trolled, right?

Any answer we give will be argued the other way by the devoted fans of the opposite. Savage has always made a decent rifle. Weatherby usually makes very good rifles. If you like the features of one over the other, buy it. My feeling is the Weatherby is the better rifle.

Rifles are individuals. Two by the same maker may be widely different.

Nikon has always made quality products. We have fan boys here that rave about the Nikon name and products. Its not a decent scope, its a good scope. Better than decent. I personally like Leupold and have a few. The most recent purchase was a Leitz. Only because it was cheap and I thought a great value. What I think about something I'm buying is all that's important. Just like what you think is enough to make the decision.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I'll throw in my 2c.

I only like a few savage rifles and the one you mentioned isn't one of them. I have about a dozen weatherby vanguard s2 rifles though and I think they are an excellent gun for the $$$. I have found them to be very accurate straight out of the box and the new triggers on the s2 are a huge upgrade over the s1 triggers. Right now I have a vanguard dangerous game in 375HH and it's one hell of a rifle for what it cost me.

I have vanguards from 240wby up to that 375HH and almost everything in between (243, 257wby, 308, 30-06, 300wby etc and doubles of a bunch of them). If you are going to hunt hard take a look at the back country and wilderness versions of the vanguard rifles too.

For scopes, I pretty much stuck with leupold, their new vx3i line is pretty nice. The vx2 is also good for a basic hunting rifle and I probably see more of those up here in AK than anything else. I also like vortex scopes pretty well but prefer leupold slightly.

Depending on how much $$$ you want to spend, I really like my nightforce shv and my zeiss hd5 scopes as well as a Swarovski z3 that I use.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
To directly answer your post, I'd recommend the Weatherby and find as good a deal on the best Leupold you can.

This will win for you.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not a Savage fan. Not really aVanguard Weatherby fan either. Not sure what the intended purpose is. Tikka would be better than both imho opinion in that price range. Leupold VX-2 for a scope at the $300.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guy. Intended use would be whitetail and elk hunting.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason you're looking at .300 Win Mag?

If you just want one, that's cool. I wouldn't discourage that at all. But, if you're thinking you need one for those game (or anything in the lower 48), you don't. That's a lot of gun when a .270 is more than enough. Your shoulder will thank you as well.

Just a suggestion. Mine has been sitting in the safe unfired for nearly twenty years. I've just not found a need or desire to haul it out when other rifles work just fine.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Both rifle makers you mention have good reputations but I don't have personal experience with them.

Again, we would NEVER say don't buy a new toy but Gustofer makes a good point.
(I tend to prefer .308 size bores for the hunting I do and the plethora of bullet choices)

A mangle-'em could be fun I guess but I like my shoulder too much to practice a lot with something that bucks really hard.
I hope you reload, that $1+ a shot ammo is going to be pricey to practice with.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
the Savage is made in the USA, I️ think Howa in Japan makes the Vanguard

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tenmm:
the Savage is made in the USA, I️ think Howa in Japan makes the Vanguard

That Is correct. The OP might even look into a Howa if they make one in a configuration he likes. There's no fly's on the 300wm but I tend to agree that you don't really need a magnum, I hunt Alaska with a 308 and it works fine, I have bigger rifles available but lately they are staying home more and more.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post