SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please point me in the right direction for a rifle case.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please point me in the right direction for a rifle case. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For lockable hard cases, I have a Plano rifle case right now (because it was 1/3 the cost of a Pelican when I bought my AR at Gander Mountain. For normal discreet carry, I use a GORUCK rifle case. For "luggage" you can't do much better than a 40L GR2 ruck from GORUCK. I currently have a GR0 and a Rucker (that's become a range bag when I'm not taking a long gun to the range.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Looking for a hard case to carry two scoped rifles. After measuring, it would take a minimum dimension of 50"20" to fit both. No such hard case exists.

Is it common and smart to remove the scopes? If you do, do you purchase a separate pelican case to safely transport them?

Thank you,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
After measuring, it would take a minimum dimension of 50"20" to fit both.

Based on that, I can only think you’re trying to put the rifles side by side, each in their own custom cut-outs so that they’re surrounded by foam padding and won’t touch each other. If so, I can understand why you can’t find what you want; I also believe, though, that your idea is overkill.

Unless the rifles are exceptionally valuable (and fragile) I can’t think of why you’d need that much protection, and if they do, they should each have their own hard case.

Something I’m seeing these days is the idea of putting the rifle inside a padded soft case and then inside a hard case with minimal padding. If I wanted to carry two rifles in a hard case, I’d probably get two decent, but not too bulky soft cases and then put everything inside a suitably-sized hard case. The scopes would overlap, reducing how wide the hard case needed to be. To keep the interior cases and rifles in place, I’d put sheets of foam padding between the soft cases and the hard case sides. Those sheets would be compressed when the case was closed and the pressure would prevent shifting as well as custom cut foam around the guns. I believe that setup would provide at least as much protection as custom foam padding alone, and probably more in the event of a hard case failure or puncture.

As for the scopes, I would remove them only if it were impossible to fit them in the case(s) as I describe above, or if I really did not trust the hard case to withstand whatever stress it would be subjected to. If I remove a scope, I zero it again before relying on it for critical purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post