SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please point me in the right direction for a rifle case.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please point me in the right direction for a rifle case. Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I'm looking for a hard case to transport some guns but I'm looking for something sort of specific, I want something I can fly with so I guess that means I need a lock.

Here's sort of what I'm picturing in my mind:
-I've seen those cool tactical cases that hold an ar15 as well as a pistol and several mags, etc, etc.

I'm looking for something sort of like that but for a hunting rifle and a larger handgun.

Can anybody here suggest a company or a specific model to look into? I'd actually probably want 2 of them, also, probably the more compact the better but that's probably wishful thinking.

Thank you!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pelican and Pelican Storm. There are multiple models -- the length of your rifle determines the case size. My Pelicans have protected rifles through a number of flights, and have banged around in the back of pickups and ATVs without issues.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Pelican 1750. I had the foam custom cut to fit my rifles. Wheels help a LOT.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Ill check out the pelicans, to see if they make something like I want.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I own 3 pelican rifle cases.

Tons of other pelican products.

I can't say enough good things about pelican products. Recently I changed all of my personal airline luggage over to pelican also. Tired of replacing suitcases and duffle bags every 3-4 flights.

I do not consider the high end plano cases to be comparable.

I also don't prefer the pick-n-pluck foam. It isn't hard to cut foam to shape. You can even pull the middle layer out and go without cut foam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
If you qualify for GovX (MIL/LE/First Responder/Veteran) they have 15-20% off several pelican products. It beats amazon pricing by 2-5% usually. They generally have the rifle and pistol cases on there.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree that if flying, go with a Pelican. But, it all depends on how much your rifle is worth and worth to you. They are bullet-proof and will protect your investment, but they are expensive, heavy, and bulky.

Otherwise stick with a Plano. The high end ones have little "locks" on the latches. Nowhere near as secure as a Pelican, but they'll dissuade your average thug.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I would recommend buying the Pelican Storm IM3300 over the Pelican 1750. Storm used to be a separate company before Pelican bought them.
Both cases are built very well but the Storm cases have better latches.

I have a Pelican 1750 that I use to transport a rifle and pistol for air travel and the latches come undone frequently. I have 4 Abloy padlocks on it so it has never opened all the way, but every time it comes out from the baggage handlers a few of the latches are unlatched. In contrast I have never had the latches on my Storm case come open by accident.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/p...ong-gun-case/iM3300/

Storm also has some options with pre-cut foam to fit a hunting rifle.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/p...ifle-case/iM3300RFL/

I just got a $35 hot wire foam cutter from Amazon and cut the foam myself, it came out great.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2 rifles going in the case are nice (at least for me) with nice glass on them, Ill just buy a 10/22 when I get up there to save the hassle.

The 2 guns together are probably worth 3500 dollars so Im ok with spending a bit more on a case.

Now,

Maybe you all can help with sort of a "part 2" to this question.

If you were moving....far away (but still in the USA) and driving simply was not an option, would you try to fly with like 4 guns? or would it be worth the time and $$$ to just have an FFL ship them for me (I know an FFL on the sending end so there wouldnt be any fees other than shipping cost) and then just pick them up before flying out to my end destination?

To be clear, these guns need to get to Anchorage where I could potentially pick them up from a gun shop or private FFL before flying out to the place were moving to.

What a pain in the ass, I also need to get my cats shipped up there.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Whenever I fly with firearms I also hide this luggage tracker somewhere in the case. It has always worked great and it removes some of the worry of lost firearms since I'm able to see that the case actually arrived at the right location when it should.

https://lugloc.com/

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I would recommend buying the Pelican Storm IM3300 over the Pelican 1750. Storm used to be a separate company before Pelican bought them.

I have a Pelican 1750 that I use to transport a rifle and pistol for air travel and the latches come undone frequently. I have 4 Abloy padlocks on it so it has never opened all the way, but every time it comes out from the baggage handlers a few of the latches are unlatched. In contrast I have never had the latches on my Storm case come open by accident.
I have two 1750s and two 3300s. I've never had the latches come open on the 1750 during my travels, but do agree that the 3300 is better.

On Amazon, the price differential between the 3300 and 1750 changes constantly, and sometimes it's ridiculous. I knew I was moving away from Alaska so I bought my cases over a period of 4 months. I paid $199 and $219 for my 3300s, and $209 and $199 for my 1750s. If you're patient, you can have a 3300 for little or no price difference.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm voting for the Pelican cases. Have had several through the years, all of which have stood up incredibly well. I have a 1720 for an AR, but other models house cameras & lenses, and marine gear. The ones on the boat have taken a beating.

Most models have an option of "pick & pluck" (or something like that) or solid foam. The pluckable type is very easy to use and make a custom fit, but be careful removing and inserting your gear--you can accidentally pluck off some extra foam. The solid foam has to be cut out. Either way, replacement foam is available to re-task the case down the road.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always drive to my competitions, but the Worlds will be in Ottawa and that's 3 days of driving each way and so I'm flying.

My F-TR match rifle is 54.5 inches overall. I can remove the adjustable butt place and that brings it down to 53 inches. My SKB is 50 inches interior and even angled, the max length is 51 inches.

I can remove the barreled action from the stock but that makes the trigger exposed and I don't like that. Length is 40 inches. The stock itself is a bit over 40.

I could remove the barrel and it's 34 inches and the stock remains at 40 and a bit. That would also require I bring a barrel vise and the action wrench for the rifle.

I'm considering the Pelican 1770 to keep the rifle as a unit, but I would remove the riflescope and carry that with me.

That case is huge, I'm looking for a smaller one but still with 54 inches interior for airline use. For a single rifle.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

I have two 1750s and two 3300s. I've never had the latches come open on the 1750 during my travels, but do agree that the 3300 is better.

On Amazon, the price differential between the 3300 and 1750 changes constantly, and sometimes it's ridiculous. I knew I was moving away from Alaska so I bought my cases over a period of 4 months. I paid $199 and $219 for my 3300s, and $209 and $199 for my 1750s. If you're patient, you can have a 3300 for little or no price difference.

I think it could be the way my case is packed, because it has happened every single time I have flown with the case. It seems if there is some upward pressure on the lid, like if you just laid a rifle on top of the foam w/out cutouts, that the 1750 latches hold pretty tightly.

However I have my foam cut out to fit everything perfectly into the foam pockets. So there is very little upward pressure on the lid. In this situation the 1750 latches are absolutely less secure than the latches on my Storm case. It's very easy to see why they come open so easily during transport when comparing them side by side. I'll only be buying Storm cases from now on.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

posted Hide Post
I'm now thinking the Pelican Storm iM3410 case is better suited to my needs. It's long enough but not too high and wide, and it has wheels.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

That case is huge, I'm looking for a smaller one but still with 54 inches interior for airline use. For a single rifle.

Any thoughts?

This one is a little longer but a lot thinner and narrower. No wheels, though.

http://icc-case.com/impact-cas...-black-powder-rifle/

62 x 14 x 4.5

I have one of their pistol cases and it is very tough. They also have a better locking system, a locking bar that you insert through all the riveted latches and then lock in place. Pelican and Storm (have both, they are also good cases) can be opened a bit by undoing the latches, even if they're locked.

quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I'm now thinking the Pelican Storm iM3410 case is better suited to my needs. It's long enough but not too high and wide, and it has wheels.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I don't have a 3410 but I have a couple of the smaller Storm rifle cases (that date back to before Pelican bought them). They have better latches and wheels than the regular Pelican cases. They are very good cases.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I use a Pelican 1750. I had the foam custom cut to fit my rifles. Wheels help a LOT.

This.

Cover it with "hair band" and cheap guitar stickers so it looks like you're transporting a lousy electric guitar instead of a very sellable firearm.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:

This.

Cover it with "hair band" and cheap guitar stickers so it looks like you're transporting a lousy electric guitar instead of a very sellable firearm.

Bruce

That's a good idea, I think I'll do that.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
The 2 rifles going in the case are nice (at least for me) with nice glass on them, Ill just buy a 10/22 when I get up there to save the hassle.

The 2 guns together are probably worth 3500 dollars so Im ok with spending a bit more on a case.

Now,

Maybe you all can help with sort of a "part 2" to this question.

If you were moving....far away (but still in the USA) and driving simply was not an option, would you try to fly with like 4 guns? or would it be worth the time and $$$ to just have an FFL ship them for me (I know an FFL on the sending end so there wouldnt be any fees other than shipping cost) and then just pick them up before flying out to my end destination?

To be clear, these guns need to get to Anchorage where I could potentially pick them up from a gun shop or private FFL before flying out to the place were moving to.

What a pain in the ass, I also need to get my cats shipped up there.

Having moved to and from Alaska 3 times...I find that flying them is the easiest and most cost effective solution.

It's why I purchased my first 2 pelican rifle cases.

Another "trick" I used once, was to break down every gun possible and I mailed slides, uppers, barrels, etc to myself in an insured package. I then flew with all the receivers in a much more compact package.

www.rikrlandvs.com