SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Variable Optics on PCC? (MPX)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Variable Optics on PCC? (MPX) Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Anyone here had any experience with a variable optic on PCC? I've got a cheap PA red dot on my MPX for now.

Has anyone got a chance to "run" a variable optic? Such as a 1-4 or 1-6? Worth it for a range fun gun to bang steel with?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In general, for rifles I recommend 1x magnification per 100 yards distance. The further you get out, the more magnification becomes useful.

Most PCCs are only shot at distances of less than 100 yards due to the inherently limited range of the cartridges we're commonly talking about. That's not to say that you can't shoot a PCC at targets 100+ yards out, but that is not what most people use their PCCs for.

So I generally do not recommend variable power optics for PCCs because they cost more than is necessary to compliment the inherent effective range of the carbine, and they tend to limit FOV, which becomes more important the shorter the engagement distances are.

For steel, it may not matter, you'd just be little slower possibly.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I'd probably stick with a red dot like an Trijicon MRO for a PCC. I have a Steiner P4xi 1-4 on my AR and I like having a red dot at close to 1X magnification but also the 4X option for longer shots.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
In general, for rifles I recommend 1x magnification per 100 yards distance. The further you get out, the more magnification becomes useful.

Most PCCs are only shot at distances of less than 100 yards due to the inherently limited range of the cartridges we're commonly talking about. That's not to say that you can't shoot a PCC at targets 100+ yards out, but that is not what most people use their PCCs for.

So I generally do not recommend variable power optics for PCCs because they cost more than is necessary to compliment the inherent effective range of the carbine, and they tend to limit FOV, which becomes more important the shorter the engagement distances are.

For steel, it may not matter, you'd just be little slower possibly.

This is along the lines I was thinking. I hadn't really seen any type of FFP BDC reticle for 9mm. But with barrel lengths & bullet weights. Probably worthless to try.

Ehh.. was more of a passing thought. I just need to upgrade to a better red dot than the cheapy. Something with better battery life.

I threw one of the earlier gen PA red dots on it. Rather have something I can leave on constantly like their MD-AS or a Vortex & be done with it.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it's just for a range toy, there's really no issue with the cheaper, earlier PA micro dots. That's what I have on most of my range toys. Turn them on when you get ready to shoot. Turn them off when you're done.

A couple of my range toys do have the newer PA Advanced micro dots, but I don't really see the need to pay 2x for a fancier always-on red dot just for a plinker.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If it's just for a range toy, there's really no issue with the cheaper, earlier PA micro dots. That's what I have on most of my range toys. Turn them on when you get ready to shoot. Turn them off when you're done.

A couple of my range toys do have the newer PA Advanced micro dots, but I don't really see the need to pay 2x for a fancier always-on red dot just for a plinker.

Cause I'm a forgetful dummy and forget to turn them off. I'm a well known battery killer among optics. Wink

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://swfa.com/weaver-1-3x20...c-v-rifle-scope.html

The 1X is amazingly nice. No
flare, if you have an astigmatism.

I've used this scope on a 15-.22 for Steel matches for several years. Its very competitive with red dots.

Bought a second one to use on a 9MM carbine for IDPA PCC. Moving it now to a .357 Levergun

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Considering how popular pistol caliber ARs are, I'm kinda surprised that we still haven't seen more 1X red dots with some kind of ranging or bullet drop reticle. It wouldn't have to be a terribly complicated reticle to be useful.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mpx carbine in 9mm and a Kriss vector in 40. I have a Trijicon MRO on the mpx and a Romeo 5 on the vector.

Neither have issues hitting steel plates 10/10 times at 100 yds. I have not shot further than that with either, but I would not hesitate to 150-200 yds with practice.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post