SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Pardon me for a slight thread drift, but what has been your experiences with the 1-6.
Particularly, the 1 power at close in (100 yards and less). Can you use your BUIS with the scope at 1 power? Is it easy to acquire and transition targets?

I like the low powered variables. I have no issues with transitions to targets -- near, far, and in between.

Understand that properly mounted variable glass will not have room for BUIS -- they must either be folded down under the scope or offset 45 degrees. I don't like either of these options, therefore I prefer variable glass only as a sighting system.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
They probably got both optics for free from uncle sam. Magnifyers are ~$500 vs free acog.

This.

Sub optimal but it works.

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to hunt insurgents and give him a fish, you can win a war with enough fish.

Posts: 3045 | Location: CONUS | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Pardon me for a slight thread drift, but what has been your experiences with the 1-6.
Particularly, the 1 power at close in (100 yards and less). Can you use your BUIS with the scope at 1 power? Is it easy to acquire and transition targets?

I like the low powered variables. I have no issues with transitions to targets -- near, far, and in between.

Understand that properly mounted variable glass will not have room for BUIS -- they must either be folded down under the scope or offset 45 degrees. I don't like either of these options, therefore I prefer variable glass only as a sighting system.

Thanks for that info. I had thought you could use the front BUIS with the Scope body functioning as a large diameter peep sight. It's a TTP I've used with an Aimpoint and the FSB.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Again, I freely admit that I am just speculating based upon the reasons of why I would do it that way.

That’s a more plausible explanation than most.

If I were faced with different types of missions that required different sights, though, I would probably just have different rifles equipped differently. In fact, that’s what I do: one has an Aimpoint, the other a Leupold Mark 6 1-6× scope. I suppose, though, that some might believe that the setup pictured above provides more immediate flexibility.

Particularly, the 1 power at close in (100 yards and less). Can you use your BUIS with the scope at 1 power? Is it easy to acquire and transition targets? I'm a hard core aimpoint guy, but I am considering switching to a 1-4 or 1-6. Thanks

Both of the low powered variables I have offer significantly better fields of view at 1x than a tube style red dot.

Now, I own a SparcAR, not an Aimpoint. An Aimpoint is a superior red dot, but the housing is roughly the same size. The exit pupil and eye relief of a good LPV make acquiring targets on 1x very easy. In fact I would say the extremely good field of view on 1x is MORE impressive than the optical quality at either 5x(Steiner) or 6x (Vortex Razor).

Some real deal military units are using the Vortex Razor in certain roles. They are EXTREMELY tough and the reticle is extremely usable at 1x with or without the illumination.

Lay hands on one and I bet you take it home.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Trying this image thing again....

Keep in mind I had the dot turned up way brighter than I would normally.

Is is real deal Aimpoint bright or brighter, but not with the same battery life.

I have used it outside in the snow on of those bright sun january days when you need sunglasses. I have NEVER used it on 10 or 11 when actually shooting.

I have had mine since... 2013 I think? Maybe 2014. Still on the original battery, but I don't leave it on when I am not shooting.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
His forearms say he knows what he's doing.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He definitely doesn't skip Arm Day.

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
His forearms say he knows what he's doing.

All his forearms say is that he knows how to pick up heavy things and put them back down again, repeatedly. Big Grin

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post