SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?! Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They probably got both optics for free from uncle sam. Magnifyers are ~$500 vs free acog.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

It would be interesting to know why this officer decided to mount an ACOG and EoTech in line like that, but he obviously thought it was a good idea.

A different cop had the identical setup in a different episode. I'm wondering if they each have their own rifles or their armory has a locker of ar's to pick from and that happens to be one of them

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Everybody is thinking too much. It's a TV show and the folks that put it together know nothing about the real world and firearms. They think it looks cool. And I guess (never seen the show) the guy running around with that rig is not a shooter either. It's like most of the shows on reality TV 75% faked for the money. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
It's a TV show ....

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I got the impression that it was a “reality” show of some sort depicting real police. I don’t watch the teevee, but if I had known that, it wouldn’t have been worth disturbing a single electron to comment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
They probably got both optics for free from uncle sam. Magnifyers are ~$500 vs free acog.

That seems like the most reasonable explanation. Still dumb, but at least I can understand the line of reasoning.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
It's a TV show ....

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I got the impression that it was a “reality” show of some sort depicting real police. I don’t watch the teevee, but if I had known that, it wouldn’t have been worth disturbing a single electron to comment.

Your impression was correct. It is a reality show that depicts real police. Just like Cops, Alaska State Troopers, etc. This particular series just happens to focus on the members of the Miami-Dade SWAT team.

However, as we all know, "reality" TV these days often isn't very realistic. (I haven't seen this show, so I can't be a judge of how badly this particular one missed the mark.) Who knows whether that officer truly does use that setup in the real world, or it's just something that was staged for the show.

Any chance that Eotech is on an offset mount? It doesn't appear so, but it's hard to be 100% sure from just those two screenshots.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to reiterate - it is a 'true' documentary type program on Netflix, not fictional.

In that they are real call-outs, operations, barricades, etc.

Is some staged for dramatic license - I do not know for sure.

But much of the footage is filmed on actual SWAT scenarios. Of course they build up some of the personalities, scenarios, etc.

As to the specifics of the image posted - IIRC that SRT cop was covering a house across a decent sized field so he may have wanted some magnification for more accuracy.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I have some first hand experience with "reality" cop shows. The focus is on the show, not the reality. The "production team" has input. Things are recreated. Things are simulated. Things are downright fabricated for dramatic effect. Clever editing is used to make it look like the "star" officers and camera crew have a far more active role than they often do. This isn't something nefarious, it's just the way it works. The vast majority of police work would make very dull TV. Dull TV doesn't draw viewers. The network takes steps to spice it up. This can annoy the officers on the scene trying to work around it.

I say all that to say this. I can totally see a SWAT officer's sense of humor being served by telling his buddies "hand me that EOTech. Let's see how much I can hang off this rifle. Someone go hum dramatic SWAT music..."

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I have some first hand experience with "reality" cop shows. The focus is on the show, not the reality. The "production team" has input. Things are recreated. Things are simulated. Things are downright fabricated for dramatic effect. Clever editing is used to make it look like the "star" officers and camera crew have a far more active role than they often do. This isn't something nefarious, it's just the way it works. The vast majority of police work would make very dull TV. Dull TV doesn't draw viewers. The network takes steps to spice it up. This can annoy the officers on the scene trying to work around it.

I say all that to say this. I can totally see a SWAT officer's sense of humor being served by telling his buddies "hand me that EOTech. Let's see how much I can hang off this rifle. Someone go hum dramatic SWAT music..."

That's great - thanks for sharing that info.

I will also mention - in this show - it seems to be a 'British' production show. Narrated by a Brit and from their perspective a bit. To hear this guy talk (the narrator) the US in general and Miami in particular are SUPER dangerous places that only the SWAT team can go 'safely'. Robberies and murders happening every ten feet... Roll Eyes Of course they play up the class warfare issue - the Rich in South Beach and the poor stuck in the criminal areas.

Curiously - there is a brief scene where a cop responds to a carjacking and the 'victim' shoots and kills the carjacker at a gas station. They make a point to say the 'victim' is arrested for Murder for 'taking the law into his own hands'... Not sure how that happened - they didn't give much more info. But definitely painted a Brit picture of ALL gunplay is criminal activity even if you are defending yourself.

The show's not too bad actually - shows some pretty good action. Only watched a couple episodes.

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't even think of that, if that's the case that is pretty funny.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I saw the exact same thing and my first impression was, "uhhhhhh." But then I eventually came to the conclusion we came to in this thread, it had to be a joke. I haven't really dug into the production of the show, but is this produced for British television?

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of observations. Miami Dade SRT sees more work in a days time than 90 percent of the teams out there do in a month. They are the real deal, and making their team is probably as close to making FBI HRT.

My guess is that the ACOG has quick throw levers and the EoTech is turned off. They run a wide variety of operations, and they quickly move from high risk warrant service, to a barricade, to a waterborne operation. They run more waterborne operations than likely any other law enforcement special operations outfit out there.

The daily tempo that is shown on the TV show is probably mild compared to what they actually do.

It should also be noted that the show was produced in 2008-2009 and technology has evolved a bit since then.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If one is relying on quick-detach mounts, then why not put them on both devices and use the one device most appropriate for the mission rather than trying to peer through two separate optics? The two optics thing is the fundamental question that doesn’t seem to have a sensible answer. Or am I just so far out of the tactical loop that if it has to be explained to me, I’d never understand it anyway?

It’s good to learn that the show is about a real high speed organization, but at this point I’m leaning toward the, “Ha! We’ll do something really stupid that the teevee people won’t have a clue about and see if anyone notices,” explanation as being the most likely (I hope that’s it, anyway).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I can totally see a SWAT officer's sense of humor being served by telling his buddies "hand me that EOTech. Let's see how much I can hang off this rifle. Someone go hum dramatic SWAT music..."

Now that's funny! I wouldn't be surprised if it's a running gag where the officers take turns with the 'wandering' Eotech... Hahaha! :-)

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
If one is relying on quick-detach mounts, then why not put them on both devices and use the one device most appropriate for the mission rather than trying to peer through two separate optics? The two optics thing is the fundamental question that doesn’t seem to have a sensible answer. Or am I just so far out of the tactical loop that if it has to be explained to me, I’d never understand it anyway?

It’s good to learn that the show is about a real high speed organization, but at this point I’m leaning toward the, “Ha! We’ll do something really stupid that the teevee people won’t have a clue about and see if anyone notices,” explanation as being the most likely (I hope that’s it, anyway).

I would say that it is about maintaining a for sure zero. If I had to guess, the EoTech goes on first, and is zero'd first. At that point, we know the zero is 100 percent, where a throw lever zero might not be, but would be close.

After the EoTech is put on and the zero confirmed, the Trijicon is put on an properly zero'd. If the Trijicon is taken off, I'd say that it's a trip back to the range to make sure that the zero is 100 percent.

Again, I freely admit that I am just speculating based upon the reasons of why I would do it that way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Again, I freely admit that I am just speculating based upon the reasons of why I would do it that way.

That’s a more plausible explanation than most.

If I were faced with different types of missions that required different sights, though, I would probably just have different rifles equipped differently. In fact, that’s what I do: one has an Aimpoint, the other a Leupold Mark 6 1-6× scope. I suppose, though, that some might believe that the setup pictured above provides more immediate flexibility.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
similar to the mall ninja look
https://kitup.military.com/201...all-ninja-rifle.html

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

That’s a more plausible explanation than most.

If I were faced with different types of missions that required different sights, though, I would probably just have different rifles equipped differently. In fact, that’s what I do: one has an Aimpoint, the other a Leupold Mark 6 1-6× scope. I suppose, though, that some might believe that the setup pictured above provides more immediate flexibility.

Pardon me for a slight thread drift, but what has been your experiences with the 1-6.
Particularly, the 1 power at close in (100 yards and less). Can you use your BUIS with the scope at 1 power? Is it easy to acquire and transition targets? I'm a hard core aimpoint guy, but I am considering switching to a 1-4 or 1-6. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Pardon me for a slight thread drift, but what has been your experiences with the 1-6.

Good question, and I should post a review for those who might be interested. Briefly, though, I haven’t fired many drills with that scope to be sure of my answer about acquiring targets quickly. I believe, though, that it will work well.

I have Aimpoint CompML3 sights on a couple of rifles and have used them almost exclusively for several years. Because I keep both eyes open when scanning, I can “see through” the scope bodies to keep my peripheral views. When using the Mark 6, though, my perception is of a larger field of view just because it’s significantly larger in diameter and the eyepiece is somewhat closer to my eye.

When scanning at close distances (e.g., within a room), I don’t notice any distortion with the Mk6 either when it’s set to 1x power. My 1.5-5x Leupold exhibits some barrel distortion at the edges of the field of view, and that’s somewhat distracting. I don’t know if other 1-? scopes have any edge distortion, but it’s something I don’t care for.

I haven’t tried to use a rear BUIS with either conventional scope I’ve mounted on ARs because the scopes are too long and require mounting too far back to permit using a BUIS. On the other hand, the scopes have conventional mechanical reticles that are usable without battery power.

I will try to post a more comprehensive review of the Mk6 at some point, including discussion of its drawbacks.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Holy crap sorry about the picture resolution. I thought I shared a resized picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sigfreund, Thanks Indiana. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm going to take your comments and pictures into my decision process. especially the comments about scanning in the room.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post