SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acog AND Eotech simultaneously?! Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
Wtf? I've never heard of that, I'm watching a show called Miami SWAT. He doesn't have night vision or anything.. is this a joke? Or am I missing something? Reminds me of the swat guy with his eotech backwards

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do any of the Kardashians have recurring roles in the series? If so, then U know the gunz R 4 reel.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Two is one and one is none. Big Grin

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
Two is one and one is none. Big Grin

Apparently!

Two episodes later...

This may be my last episode.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
He's still got room for an Aimpoint Micro.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Just guessing but maybe it's the led acog so it's turned off but he is using it as a magnifier? Or he is just a dumbass haha

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pffffft only 2? What a loser... if you don't have 3+ you're nothing

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I saw a post about this on another site - a few guys said they knew people who ran it like that, and said it's a "don't knock it til you try it" thing. i don't really get how it'd work, though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does this work? Does it make the red dot larger on the EOTech? It seems like that would sort of further your tunnel vision and obscure your sight picture doubling up like that. Weird.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
If it's a magnifier you can run them that way.

I use a 3x magnifier with my Aimpoint Pro:

I don't have an actual picture of mine but that's the optic set up. The magnifier rotates out of the way when you don't need it.

You can do the same thing with an EOTech, so that might be what he's doing.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no ACOG expert, but that looks like my TA01NSN tritium only model. I can't see a battery compartment that would indicate that it's the LED version. It also appears to be in the standard trijicon 2 knob mount based on the screw holes.

Either way, there would still be a reticle in the ACOG, making it a suboptimal magnifier.

As for hanging both off your rifle? I can only speculate, but would prefer not to.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I've done that for a match where I knew there would be some 200 yard shots, and the rifle was only wearing an eotech. Since I didn't own a magnifier, the acog filled that role nicely, and I popped it back off when that stage was over.

I got a few funny looks and comments, but most folks could stomach that explanation.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I've done that for a match where I knew there would be some 200 yard shots, and the rifle was only wearing an eotech. Since I didn't own a magnifier, the acog filled that role nicely, and I popped it back off when that stage was over.

I got a few funny looks and comments, but most folks could stomach that explanation.

Interesting.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
While it does go against the "norm" and look a bit off, it's essentially a 4x magnifier (or whatever power your particular ACOG is). Maybe put the Eotech on a quick release/flip to side as opposed to the normal magnifier and now you'd have your magnified long range optic???

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too took the same screenshot in disbelief! An army buddy suggested that the cop was pissed off at being filmed and put both sights on as a protest so that knowledgeable folks such as ourselves would scream "BS!" to the entire show and stop watching it (as I have.)

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well... it's TV.

It makes up for all the other TV shows where they have NO sights. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am assuming the ACOG is magnifying the Eotech.

If it looks stupid but works - it ain't stupid??

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I've done that for a match where I knew there would be some 200 yard shots, and the rifle was only wearing an eotech.

Yes, very interesting. I could understand it for the purpose you describe, but why for normal operation? If someone wanted a magnified image, why not just the ACOG? It doesn’t seem that inserting another optical device into the viewing path would be good without a specific reason. I’m not all that familiar with either sight, so perhaps I’m missing something—?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Yes, very interesting. I could understand it for the purpose you describe, but why for normal operation? If someone wanted a magnified image, why not just the ACOG? It doesn’t seem that inserting another optical device into the viewing path would be good without a specific reason. I’m not all that familiar with either sight, so perhaps I’m missing something—?

Bingo.

The ACOG works as a temporary magnifier for the Eotech -- for when the carbine has a known need to be temporarily magnified, and knowing that the carbine will be used with the unmagnified Eotech very soon in the future. Like JJexp noted above. That's worlds apart from LEOs on duty.

The ACOG doesn't swing out of the way quickly, like a 3x magnifier in tanksoldier's post above. An Aimpoint with a swing out magnifier works pretty darn well -- I tried another student's rifle set up this way during a carbine course. I still prefer a low-powered variable optic, but aimpoint + magnifier works.

The ACOG must be attached to the rail every time it's used, then removed afterwards. It's hard to determine by the pictures, but I don't think there's a QD attachment on those Acogs.

There's no guarantee that the alignment of the Acog's sight will match that of the Eotech. So there may be two aiming points in one's "optic".

If the Acog is pretty well fixed on the gun, the the Eotech is superfluous. Most likely even a hindrance.

Just because something can be done, it doesn't mean it should be done.
Television. Kardashian. Bubba-ized.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Police officers—even SWAT members—are people, and people sometimes do things that leave the rest of us thinking, “Why did he do that?” I just recently watched a video of an officer in a slow speed foot chase carrying and trying to keep aimed both a TASER and a patrol rifle. I believe that doing something like that is extraordinarily unwise (okay, stupid), but this time I wasn’t as surprised by seeing it as I would have been a few years ago. An officer I knew at the time told me he did something similar: He would clear rooms while holding a TASER in one hand and his pistol in the other.

It would be interesting to know why this officer decided to mount an ACOG and EoTech in line like that, but he obviously thought it was a good idea.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post